Aran Islands

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Fitzmike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Aran Islands

Post by Fitzmike » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Yep, you can still park on the grass. There are tie downs and everything. You just can't do so when people are boarding one of the Islanders. Hardly an inconvenience.

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm

d
Last edited by JFH on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:05 pm

JFH wrote: e.g Could you say, fly to an aerodrome and do a go-around without PPR?
I think you would have to be in "Stealth" mode to do that........... :roll:

papacharlie-IRL
Verified User
Verified User

Post by papacharlie-IRL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Reason given for not being allowed to land while Islander is on the ground is due to the wing span of the islander not being clear of the runway or close to that of an arriving aircraft. Suppose its a good reason although I'm pretty sure one took off from EIIR and lanedd on EIIM with an Islander on the ground there. Me thinks they dont trust us VRF pilots!!!

papacharlie-IRL
Verified User
Verified User

Post by papacharlie-IRL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Islands are in the FIR so if you dont land on the tarmac you dont need to do anything, see and be seen!

amish
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by amish » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:51 pm

P.M
Last edited by amish on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amish
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by amish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 pm

P.M
Last edited by amish on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:55 pm

I wonder why he is doing that. Who asked him?
An aircraft landing on a runway very odd indeed. Should not be tolerated.
Anyways the last time my buddy landed there he got permission from a fella .............honest guv !!! from another owner of the airfield, also a tax payer. Not in writing, no one said permission must be in writing.
Time before that he noticed an engine noise that required that he land and check it out. Shucks if it wasnt the lap strap cought in the door.
Time before that it wasnt my buddy flying the plane someone else. Paperworks lousy cant trace who flew it that day.........................

its your airfield use it.

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:50 pm

AOPA has requested a meeting with Galway Aviation Services regarding this situation.
They have accepted our request and a date will be agreed on shortly.

Those who have a strong interest in this may be given the opportunity to attend the meeting, and voice their concerns. It is preferable however, that those who are attending should represent a Club, Team or movement of some sort, so that numbers may be represented.

Send Name, Movement, phone number and availibility to aopa@ireland.com
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Fanstop wrote:I wonder why he is doing that. Who asked him?
An aircraft landing on a runway very odd indeed. Should not be tolerated.
Anyways the last time my buddy landed there he got permission from a fella .............honest guv !!! from another owner of the airfield, also a tax payer. Not in writing, no one said permission must be in writing.
Time before that he noticed an engine noise that required that he land and check it out. Shucks if it wasnt the lap strap cought in the door.
Time before that it wasnt my buddy flying the plane someone else. Paperworks lousy cant trace who flew it that day.........................

its your airfield use it.
This is awesome....should be framed and hung in every airport lounge....and of course a copy for the IAA..... :lol:

Aidoair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Aidoair » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:29 pm

It sounds to me like theres a shocking amount of red tape when it comes to general aviation in Ireland . Ive landed in the Aran Islands many years ago when I was a student pilot at EIKN and there was no PPR or any of that type of thing . Now it seems as if you even think about going flying you need to let someone know . Not for nothing but I fly in the USA now and it is a dream , to be able to get in a plane take off , listen to the controller say " your leaving my airspace freq change approved " and fly to where ever you want . There is an awful lot of small airports here that are non-towered , basically self announce and it is the same procedure for each airport , announce at 10 miles , join the correct downwind for the landing runway on a 45 degree heading to the downwind , announce downwind , base , final , and clear of the active runway . I know that the economy is not like it was years ago and the amount of flying hours may have decreased but wouldnt you think that if the authorities wanted to try and regenerate revenue from avgas , landing fees , etc that they would ease up on the red tape .

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Aidoair wrote: , basically self announce and it is the same procedure for each airport , announce at 10 miles , join the correct downwind for the landing runway on a 45 degree heading to the downwind , announce downwind , base , final , and clear of the active runway .
As easy as "ABC"......one would think..........

Aidoair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Aidoair » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:08 pm

I,m visiting Ireland next week for a week . I guess theres all kinds of red tape for an American ppl holder who might want to fly an ''N' REG AIRCRAFT AS PILOT IN COMMAND .???? any Idea if the IAA has a say in FAA holders who want to fly N reg planes in Ireland or do i need VISA for that too !!!!!

Flyingfarmer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyingfarmer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Aidoair,
Check your PM's please.
FF

Aidoair
Unverified User
Unverified User