Aran Islands

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Demonduck
Verified User
Verified User

Aran Islands

Post by Demonduck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:10 pm

I believe you need to give 24 hours notice now to Aer Arran to land on the Aran Islands as they have now control
over the Islands and you must leave before 5 pm daily.
Who gave them control of our Islands that were paid for and maintained by taxpayers money?

It looks like we will have less places to land in the future,Galway is almost gone and now restrictions on the Aran Islands?

Whats next? We need to take a stand and not just talk about it and accept these policies.

William

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Aran Islands

Post by Pilot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:27 pm

I thought it was just Inishmann? Is it now all three islands?

thepeoplesmass
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by thepeoplesmass » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm

I know a pilot who was flying his microlight very recently and he was charged €20 to land on Inishmor.
The annoying thing was that he had not been out there in a couple years and the custom he was used to was to put a fiver or a tenner in the RNLI box out there which he did. He rang me only the last day to tell me he was after getting a bill sent in the post to pay €20 for landing on the island!!!!
After a phone call to the department, he was informed that the department are no longer in charge of Maan, Oirr, Mor or Bofin and they are all operated by aer arann now.
It's a bad practice to be carrying on with. One of my decisions for buying my own aircraft was so that I could spend my summers lazing around the local Islands. Something I will have to think twice about now!

Demonduck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Demonduck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Maybe if someone would answer the phone I could get the full details.

Connemara (Inverin) Galway Aviation Services
Caislean
Inverin
Co Galway
Tel: 091-593034
Fax: 091-593238
Aran Islands - Inis Oírr Galway Aviation Services
Caislean
Inverin
Co Galway
Aran Islands - Inis Meáin Galway Aviation Services
An CaisLeán
Inverin
Co. na Gaillimhe
Tel: 091 594034
Fax: 091 593238
Aran Islands - Inis Mór Galway Aviation Services
Caislean
Inverin
Co Galway

BDoyle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BDoyle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Last time i looked the Department give aer arran over €80,000 per year to 'run' InishMann. yep one island. the story is that they run InishMann because the locals had a bit of a tiff and could'nt be arsed. to get in there you must get permission from aer arran (good luck with that phone call last time they slammed the phone down on me after they eventually answered). you must also arrive and leave when an aer arran flight is leaving / arriving. at €80,000+ per year you dont expect them to open any longer than 30 mins per day now do you? my policy now is to just land whenever i want to and let who ever wants to do sometning about it. bring it on. legally the State can not give public property to anyone.
if you go to Inisheer or Inishmore its simply call overhead (123.00) very nice people indeed. a bill may be sent to you for the €10 landing fee. pay if ya wish mine came last time from Udaras na Gaeltachta (im not kidding ya) pay if ya want. Inisheer is also nice but you better park in the right place (difficult) or the arseholes in aer arran will try to bully you. ignore them. you are a tax payer and have just as much right to the airstrip as those state funded gobshites.
as they would say in the USA ...........enjoy your islands, be saft and have fun.

Demonduck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Demonduck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Well said,I have landed in Inisheer with a crew of 3 and it was difficult enough to push back a Cessna aircraft into the grass.It would be very difficult to achieve this on your own.

Its only a matter of time and we will have less and less places to go in Ireland.
I am a member on AOPA and I will forward my concerns.

BDoyle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BDoyle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:11 pm

would be nice if AOPA could do something.
Now how about a flyin to all three islands some nice sunny weekend. Ill ask the Minister for permission if a few of us are up for it.
it will be too late when these facilities are no more !!!!!!!!

anyone got the up to date on Inishbofin?

thepeoplesmass
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by thepeoplesmass » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Look what I just found :shock:
It's amazing what you can pull out of a quick Google search these days!

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/ ... =MAR318896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

€540,585

Djet1999
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Djet1999 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 pm

What the hell. I think seaplanes are lookig very attractive at the moment. Why 24hrs????????? Ah well this country is starting to get on my nerves :) :) :) Djet 17\4\12 18:08

BOMBER
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by BOMBER » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:44 pm

hi all ,flew out to aran sunday hoping to visit all three islands.On route was told by one of the aer arann pilots a 3 hr ppr is necessary on all three . Eventually after some gentle persuasion got clearance to land on inishmore and was relieved of ten euro,s for the experience.Ground handlers were sound but got the feeling from talking to one of the aer arann boys GA aircraft weren,t particularly welcome anymore.Reminds me of another regional airfield not very far away currently on it,s last legs.I wonder will history repeat itself :?:

BDoyle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BDoyle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:30 am

not likely at €540,000 every year. i wonder if the contract says that thay can exclude anyone? but then if they dont answer the phone we cant get ppr no matter how we try.
GA were always 'a problem' for aer arran. a strange attitude for aviators to have. Anyone know the reason why Aer Arran dont want us around? anyone got any ideas on this? i know there was a very bad accident at Inverin some years ago but the acccident stats show this is very unusual.
anyone at AOPA to take up the issue? surely they must be concerned that 6 state owned and funded airports are effectively closed to us. (galway, 3 arran islands, inishbofin & cleggan). The FAA and AOPA would go nuts if this happened in the USA.

Demonduck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Demonduck » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:25 pm

I have forwarded an email to Aopa as I am a member so lets see what happens.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:59 am

Note this in the AIC in relation to Inishmaan:
REMARKS:- Prior Permission Required.
Caution: Airport is CLOSED outside of the times of Aer Arann Islands Operations and is subject to restrictions.
Landing and Takeoff prohibited if unable to establish radio contact with Inis Meain Airport on 123.00 MHz.
You can probably expect the details of the other islands to be amended in due course. In case you're tempted to ignore this. At least one pilot was reported by them to the IAA for landing at Inishmaan unaware that things had changed. Once the other islands are listed as such in the AIC. Pilots landing there without permission could find themselves having their licence suspended.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:14 pm

vanman wrote:Note this in the AIC in relation to Inishmaan:

[ Pilots landing there without permission could find themselves having their licence suspended.
This is unbelievable crap........

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:07 am

If only, you can imagine.It has happened. It's just that they did it to the wrong pilot.