EAA AirVenture at KOSH

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

NATCA FWA
Unverified User
Unverified User

EAA AirVenture at KOSH

Post by NATCA FWA »

If anyone is going to make it to this years EAA Air Venture Show at OSH (Oshkosh Wisconsin) let me know so that we can get together and swap stories and tip a few if you feel inclined to do so.

This will be my 5th year as one of the volunteer Air Traffic Controllers that you see running around in the Day Glow Pink Shirts.

The Air Show at OSH is an event of a life time, I am not stretching the truth that on average by the first day of the show, we have over 14,000 general aviation aircraft of every type parked at the OSH airport. You can also go to the EAA website (http://www.eaa.org ) for more information and to see pictures from last year.

I hope to meet a few of you there,
Mike
NATCA HSV

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

I do agree with you that Oskosh is the trip of a lifetime, I've been there a good few times. This year I'm off to Sun& Fun in Lakeland, Florida. It is quickly becomming the Oshkosh of the south. I've been there a couple of times, and while not as big as Oshkosh, its big enough, to get around in a couple of days.Less than a month to go Yippie :lol:

NATCA FWA
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by NATCA FWA »

:D AirVenture 2004 is quickly approaching. If anyone is planning on visiting the US and driving up to Oshkosh drop me a line or two.

Mike
NATCA FWA
Mike
NATCA HSV

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

Flew down to Fredrick, Maryland to attend the annual AOPA Fly-in. Like last year it was a wash out, tropical rainstorm to be exact. It was good to see the headquarters and all the staff who were so helpful. Renewed my membership, so much value for so little money. :D Our flight down was long(IMC) with a forty five minute hold north of the field for arrivals, and a thirty minute hold for release on departure...so much traffic you would swear it was a very good VFR day.....

NATCA FWA
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by NATCA FWA »

We get rain and IFR weather at OSH on occasion too, but luckily it never last very long. Whenever it is IFR Chicago Center works real hard to help get everyone who files an IFR flight plan out of or into Oshkosh.

It would be interesting to have a temporary approach control set up at Oshkosh during the fly in to expidite IFR traffic, though all the VFR's blotting out the scopes would present a challenge.

Mike
Mike
NATCA HSV

RickL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by RickL »

Mike,
We'll be taking the TBM all the way from Dolly's via greenland over to OSH. If you see us in the sea of airplanes stop by and say hello!

Rick

NATCA FWA
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by NATCA FWA »

Rick,

Finding your TBM at OSH may be more like searching for a needle in a haystack, but I'll keep an eye out for you guys. If you get the chance go out the back of the Foreign Pilots hospitality tent, past the Green Wisconsin Travel Building to the NATCA booth, during my off duty time I will probably be in there talking to any pilots that stop in.

I finally received my schedule:
7/25 Working in OSH tower 1230 - 2200
7/26 Fisk 0630 (the small trailer near the strobe lights)
7/27 Day Off, I may go golfing in the morning but I'll be at the airport later
7/28 Working out by Runway 9/27 1230 - 2200
7/29 Working out by Runway 18/36 1230 - 2200
7/30 Working at FLD airport 0630 - 1430
7/31 Working in OSH tower 0630 - 1430
8/1 Working in OSH tower 0530 - 1330
8/2 Traveling back to FWA

I'll be in and out of the NATCA Booth each day as my schedule permits, as well as walking around and visiting friends. Have a save flight in, and if you fly the VFR arrival say hello as you pass overhead.

Mike
Mike
NATCA HSV

RickL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by RickL »

Wilco Mike :)

Blue skies,

Rick

NATCA FWA
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by NATCA FWA »

:D We had an extremely safe gathering at the EAA Air Venture in Oshkosh Wisconsin and some of the best weather in years. All the pilots (excect that one mooney pilot, that stalled and bent a wing) did an awesome job making this a safe fly in and it speaks volumes for everyone that flew into Oshkosh.

Regretfully since I'm transfering to the Atlanta Georgia Large Tracon (A80) in a few weeks I won't be able to work as a controller at any future Oshkosh air shows, though I will try to return as one of the volunteers at the National Air Traffic Controllers Booth.

Mike
Mike
NATCA HSV

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land »

Hi Mike,

Do you know where you'll be working in the A80?

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Mike moving to Atlanta

Post by shrtfld »

Seeing that Mike is moving to Atlanta reminded me of a link a frined sent me recently. It is (an almost) live link to one of the approach frequencies and radar plots for the approach into Atlanta. It will give us some of the idea of the work load Mike will face down south. Good luck with the move. Everyone else enjoy link. (PS Broadband will help - do not know how it works on analog or isdn)

http://www.atcmonitor.com/
Shrtfld