Staff sit-in at Galway Airport

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Staff sit-in at Galway Airport

Post by mark » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 am

From RTE.ie - http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0206/galwayairport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--------------------------
Staff stage sit-in at Galway Airport

The remaining 11 workers at Galway Airport are staging a sit-in in protest at what they say is management's failure to guarantee they will receive redundancy when their contracts expire later this month.

Spokesman Seán Adair said they met airport officials today following news that Bank of Ireland had removed over €1m from the airport's accounts to reduce company loans.

The money had been earmarked for redundancy payments.

Mr Adair claimed management were unable to guarantee money would be available for redundancy payments.

The workers are to receive statutory redundancy only, regardless of years of service.

He said they requested that the airport pay their redundancy now, while they guaranteed to continue working until 19 February.

Workers said management were unable to grant this request, citing legal reasons.

Galway Airport's future was put in doubt once scheduled services ceased last year. It continues to receive charter and light aircraft.

It currently operates on a 9am-5pm basis and workers engaged in the sit-in say they will continue to operate the airport, including the provision of emergency fire cover.

The airport has laid off 47 staff, while 14 remain on the payroll until 19 February, with 11 of these engaged in the sit-in.

It is understood further meetings are to take place tomorrow between airport management, the Departmet of Transport and Bank of Ireland in relation to the funds removed from bank accounts.

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Staff sit-in at Galway Airport

Post by StrikeCommand » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:03 pm

More bad news.
Again, maybe we in GA could help to maintain some sort of activity by paying Galway a visit. It would be an awful shame to see this facility go down the tubes.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 pm

This will be a shame if it's lost. Airports don't seem to come back once they're closed.

At the same time, here's hoping that the employee who've been made unemployed are looked after properly.

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Again, maybe we in GA could help to maintain some sort of activity by paying Galway a visit. It would be an awful shame to see this facility go down the tubes.
An Honourable idea and it would have merit if applied to most other airports in Ireland however, Galway is the exception.
There were never pro GA and from a personal experience they generally tried to make life awkward to anyone trying to transit through the zone.
Does anyone else remember the “Navigation fees" they tried to impose on traffic transiting through the zone?

I hate to see the demise of any kind of aviation however as the old saying goes....."You’ve made your bed now lie in it !"

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:28 am

Well said inverted.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm torn on this one.

Everything that Inverted said is correct, and it's impossible to argue with him on this. He's 100% correct.

However if Galway is lost, then it is lost, and is unlikely ever to be available again. I appreciate that there are probably some smaller strips around, but it is likely that the non microlighters will not be able to fly to Galway in the future, and there will be no avgas in the area.

While it pains me to offer any support to Galway, I wonder if we are biting our nose off to spite our face?

And yes, I also got one of those horrible zone transit charges.

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:08 pm

I have only been flying into Galway in the last 3 years or so. I suspect many of the bad experiences other people have had were older than that. I can only say that I have never had any problem with anyone at Galway Airport - the opposite in fact - they are always helpful and make Galway a great place to visit. Maybe I was just lucky but I can only go by my own experience.

I echo the hope that all employees rights will be protected and that they get their entitlements in terms of redundancy etc (unlike what is happening at Vita Cortex in Cork and nearly happened at La Senza) and I'm sure their unions will be doing all they can to achieve that. The best way to protect jobs is to use the facility. I know that Galway wasn't depending on GA to keep going - it's core business was scheduled regional airline operations. However when any operation comes under scrutiny and the administrators and bureaucrats start to look for places to make cuts, they will look at the usage and income. They'll look at things like Avgas and ask how many aircraft land here every week/every year, how many litres of Avgas do we sell to those aircraft etc. If it looks like there is no-one using it then it'll be on the target list.

You also have to look at the service you get at a Regional Airport. Ok Galway may have had a high landing fee (which they reduced a couple of years ago) but you are getting services which you don't get at small private aerodromes etc. The obvious one is safety related. You get the benefit of a well trained airport rescue & fire service (which hopefully you'll never need to avail of), air traffic control, ATIS information, weather briefing facilities (in some places), fuel, maintenance and transport port links (bus, taxi etc to city centre) and in some cases Radio Navigation aids (if you're IFR equipped and rated).

:D

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm

The airport, which was put on ‘life-support’ last Friday after its deposit account was raided by Bank of Ireland, proved its a worthwhile infrastructure by offering a lifeline to a dying patient in the United Kingdom.

"It’s ironic that in the early hours of Wednesday morning, what could turn out to be one of the last nights of Galway Airport, the facility proved to be a vital piece of infrastructure that contributed to saving a life.

Staff at the airport – who are staging overnight sit-ins since Monday at Carnmore over fears they won’t get redundancy packages – facilitated the landing of a medical emergency flight from Newcastle at 2am.

The plane was unable to land in either Shannon or Knock, and so touched down in Galway Airport, collecting vital organs donated by a deceased person at University Hospital Galway, which were transported to a patient in need in the UK.

Read more in today’s Galway City Tribune"

Extract from Galway City Tribune.

OSCAR BRAVO
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OSCAR BRAVO » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 am

Nice one Inverted.Must say Knock are very GA friendly,will get you in no problem generally.Good to see.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:52 am

As someone who despises and denies red tape crap bureaucracy at any level, and as a pilot who realises the situation regarding transit fees at Galway I have to agree with Inverted interpretation of Galway... but...... my experiences with Galway have been 100% positive. I have transited Galway many many times, the controllers there are probably the most helpful I have encountered and in fact went out of their way to help me on a few occasions. I have never landed at Galway, avoided it because of the well known issues there and the anti GA stance that is talked about.
I am afraid that it is a sign of the times, faceless bureaucrats and politicians will always kill off something that doesn't affect them, the foot soldiers on the ground will always suffer and the demise of anything that affects our flying is to be condemned and resisted.
Afraid the Aran Islands will also see the increased demise of GA, with the ridiculous charges that are levied there now. Once a favourite destination for our fleet of planes from the club for an overnight trip, but with increased costs they tend to go elsewhere, but the idiots making the rules do not see the effect it has on the economy.
Our small grass airfields are the ones booming, but they are only capable of handling suitable aircraft and that will continue to be the way things will progress.

fast oiseau
Verified User
Verified User

Post by fast oiseau » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Jonkil,
a bit of thread creep,but,I havn't been to the Aran Is for a while.What is the hassle about going there now and how much does it cost to land/stay?
Thanks
Fast Oiseau

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:41 pm

fast oiseau wrote:Jonkil,
a bit of thread creep,but,I havn't been to the Aran Is for a while.What is the hassle about going there now and how much does it cost to land/stay?
Thanks
Fast Oiseau
See this thread:
http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/vi ... 730#p34730