This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mixturerich
Verified User
Verified User

IAA - Conversion of National PPL(A) license to EASA

Post by mixturerich » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Folks,

I received a letter from IAA last Monday advising me, as a National PPL(A) holder, to convert to EASA license.

The letter included the following:

"JAR licences issued before 8th April 2012, that are fully compliant with JAR-FCL, will automatically become EASA licences on 8th April 2012. National licences (Not issued in accordance with JAR and subject to the Regulation) do not enjoy automatic recognition. It is expected that some current National Licences will convert to an EASA Licence without additional requirement but others may require some additional requirements to be satisfied, such as training, theoretical knowledge exams and/or skill tests.

Anyone in possession of a National Licence where a JAR equivalent exists who wish to fly aircraft within the scope of the regulation is strongly encouraged to convert where possible to the JAR license in advance of the applicability date of the EU Regulation(8th April 2012) so as to simplify their transition to the EU requirements."

Can anyone throw any light on which "National licences will convert to an EASA Licence without additional requirement", and which "require some additional requirements to be satisfied, such as training, theoretical knowledge exams and/or skill tests".

I will contact the IAA early next week, but I was wondering if any fellow forumites had any thought on the matter.

Cheers,

Mixturelean.