Tecnams

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Tecnams

Post by Fanstop » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:54 pm

A lot of Tecnams involved in recent AAIU reports. is it just bad luck or are they fit for purpose?

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Tecnams

Post by Raven 912 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:17 am

Great little planes. No technical issues that we are aware of. Not with the microlight versions anyway. Flew a low wing Technam from Madrid to Lisbon and back. Loved it

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi there
I once did a flight test and subsequent article about the Tecnam (low-wing, group A). I found it to be a delight to fly and very well equipped, having a well-placed ground power socket and good access to the battery, among other things. It had a few unique points, such as a front-of-wing boarding technique and lever brakes but not things to really worry about. I thought it light and perhaps a bit delicate in places for the roughhouse of constant training flights. It definitely had to be watched in a crosswind,as it could skip a bit, compared to a Cessna or a Piper's landing behaviour. On the whole, a lovely aircraft but required attention on the landing and rollout.

regards
Stovepipe

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lorax » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:58 pm

I would say the reason they feature often in flying incidents is because they do rather a lot of fleet hours

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi there
From conversation with one organisation which uses them, they are reverting to a traditional trainer because of two accidents and the high cost of complying with Rotax ADs. The Tecnam is very good but not yet mature.

regards
Stovepipe

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:29 am

Problem exists between control stick and chair ! They take a little more flying then your average c172/pa28. Its easy to see how someone can get caught out in a x/wind ( particularly from the left ). Definitely not a forgiving machine on the ground.