Newcastle to Poznan
  • flying dj
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Newcastle to Poznan

by flying dj » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 pm

planning a flight from EINC (newcastle) to Poznan in poland. Departing on sat 16th of june with an overnight in france. we should be there in time for Ireland v italy on the 18th.
    will post details of the flight when we have them all done.
  • papacharlie-IRL
    Verified User
    Verified User

Re: Newcastle to Poznan

by papacharlie-IRL » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 pm

WOW interesting idea? What date do you plan to return, what A/C do you fly and will you be going VFR.
  • flying dj
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by flying dj » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 pm

we are flying on sat 16th and plan to be back on the wen 20th. the total flight is about 9.45 min each way, but broken into 2hr slots.we fly a ralley 150gt, wicklow wings have 2 172's which could also go. the flight will be VFR. the route will take in bournemouth (Lunch), deauville (france) overnight, Leipzig (Germany) and Poznan poland.
  • JFH
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by JFH » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 am

m
    Last edited by JFH on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • flying dj
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by flying dj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:24 am

Leipzig-Halle.
    may do an over night if the weather is on our side. allowing an extra day in case..
    nice airport to deal with..
  • michael747
    Verified User
    Verified User

by michael747 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Bournemouth Landing Fee's are quite steep compare to some of the nearby airports lads.
    I'd reccommend Shoreham or Goodwood Airport a few clicks east
    Regards,
    M747
    :D
  • flying dj
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by flying dj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Food is great in bournemouth, did my trainning there. reduced fees. bournemouth on the way out and crompton abbus on the way back...all welcome to join us, our plane is full, but others are intrested in filling other planes..also note, Poznan will be up to there eyes and hotel prices are mad, so in contact with an airport 40kms away with lots of hotels (cheap) we booked ours at 30euro per room. local taxi/bus company doing return trip to the match for 10euro each.
  • michael747
    Verified User
    Verified User

by michael747 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:11 pm

flying dj wrote:Food is great in bournemouth
    Oh the memories of the BFC Burger!!!
    Regards,
    M747
    :D
  • cubpilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by cubpilot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Bournmouth and food? Nah try Compton Abbas. cheaper, easier to route through and far friendlier.
    odd route though for Poland unless you have a reason for Deauville. Would have thought you would be taking a track across the channel closer to dover/calais. should you go across the narrow bit then use Headcorn. very cheap, reasonable eating and if you have to overnight a decent pub not far away.
  • flying dj
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by flying dj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Using crompton on the home leg. all other airports on route have night ops, which we plan to use at some point. as we are all night rated, give us a chance to use it. Deauville on the out route and le touquet on the home run. not looking at the most direct route as this will be a break away too. don't need to be in poland untill mon 18th. Food in BFC is fab and a very friendly place.
  • cubpilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by cubpilot » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:21 am

If this is to be a grand tour type of trip then can I suggest you head on a bit further in Poland and go to Krakow. the city is interesting but the real attraction is to tour the salt mine nearby. one of the modern wonders of the world. Also not to far away are the concentration camps.
    Poland used to have a great VFR clearance as you leave controlled airspace. ' Cleared VFR not above 300m' They also did have assigned GA routes but that may have changed since I was last there 10+ years ago.
    contact the Polish National Aero Club for up to date info and also that may get you some introductions to use the sports airfields rather than the main airports.
    I would also check which controlled airfields in Germany make navigation charges. I got stung for a massive amount going into Dresden. If you go into Czeck republic they also have some fields that have high landing fees. The best advice is to use GA fields as much as possible and avoid anywhere that handles commercial traffic.
  • flying dj
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by flying dj » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:58 am

thanks for the info and we will take it on board. the airport in poland are very helpfull, landing fee 6euro and over night parking 5euro. it seems to be like waterford or galway. no nav fees for GA. German airports are expanding into the GA market,and even have a new lounge. fees are ok.
    france has been great, been there before and the local flying club looked after me very well..
    open to ideas for germany as we may have an extra day.
    looking forward to the trip.
  • Joe McDermott
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Joe McDermott » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:36 am

Flying DJ, as Cubpilot suggests & you get to transit Krakow visit the Salt Mines (stunning) & consentration camp at Auswich (gastly but a must to understand). Both can be done in well less than a day by taxi (book Taxi John +485 0798 4199, perfect English, fellow aerosexual & well used to taking care of Irish visitors & cheaper overall than guided tours). PM me if more info required.

Joe