Wings Ireland Subs refunds

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Wings Ireland Subs refunds

Post by shrtfld »

There has been a lot said about Taj and his silence following the apparent collapse of Wings Ireland.

I have just arrived in from work to find in my post an unsolicited letter from Tadhg Maher explaining what has happened. It is a very forthright letter which cannot have been easy for him to write in the first instance. I must also compliment him for refunding the unused portion of my subscription to Wings Ireland.

So it is a case of credit where credit is due. I can only assume that I am not unique in receiving the letter and refund from him.

Well done Tadhg and good luck with the online version.

Rgds
Shrtfld

fast oiseau
Verified User
Verified User

Decent chap

Post by fast oiseau »

Got the same letter and refund of appropriate unused subscription.Very decent and honest of T.Very impressed.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

I also got one today, and must compliment Tadhg.

As I said before, hope to see you soon down the Midlands for a spin, and pity it didn't work out.

Regards

Willo

jordan191
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jordan191 »

ditto, got a cheque in the post yesterday. Pity it didn't work out, I'm sure he lost a fair few quid himself in the process

Taj
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Taj »

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Let me take this oppertunity to apologise for my silence on the matter-there were many outstanding debts owed to the magazine that I wanted to collect before going public.

The decision to discontinue was taken very reluctantly around the start of the year. I tried my best to make it work and unfortunately I failed in that respect. Over the past twelve months I have had many fantastic experiences and flown in an array of aircraft that I could only have dreamed about. Unfortunately that was diluted with many sleepless nights and much worry. My number one priority has always been the fantastic subscribers. In the hopefully unlikely event that a refund cheque failed to arrive for anyone please do not hesitate to get in contact at tadhg@wingsireland.com . The idea of not refunding subscriptions was never on the table-I intend to continue my involvement with Irish aviation and do so with my head held high. My only regret is that I didnt spend my money on flying training which now requires a trip to the bank manager!!
Can I also point out that any online orders taken after Jan 5th were not processed and no money was deducted from credit cards.
Can I take this oppertunity to thank a number of people, Mattie, Brian and the Ultraflight gang, Mick Bevans, Malcolm Nason, Damian Smyth, Sonia Robinson, Mark Dwyer, John Keena, Frank Grealish,Brian and David McGrath and the wonderful staff at Easons.

I would like to also point out that there is no connection between myself and the new magazine Flying in Ireland and may I take this oppertunity to wish Mark and Lawerence all the best and offer any support I can in terms of articles and photographs and I would urge all to come out and support it.

With thanks, many happy memories and a degree of sadness I hope this helps to bring closure to the short lived Wings Ireland "experiment"!

Looking forward to that spin Brian!

Tadhg Maher

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 »

Credit where it is due, I enjoyed the read and sorry it did not work out.
You where very brave to have given it a go

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

Tis not good, well these things happen!

robertd
Unverified User
Unverified User

well said

Post by robertd »

well said Tadhg, A pity it didn't work out, i thought it would go all the way.
It was looking great last year. But thats life, these things happen as the others have said. It was great of you to make that post.
I wish you well with your flight training and wish the flying in Ireland magazine the best of luck in the future. :lol:

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air »

Hi Everyone,

I was away since Tue afternoon, just got back this evening and was
very plesently surprised when I opened my post. Taj, you are a
gentleman. I have been in business for over 20 years now and this
is the very first time that I have come across a refund from a failed
enterprise. Just a pity it did'nt work out.

Regards,
Hugo.

Eddie Dillon
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Eddie Dillon »

Hard luck Tadhg, its a pity it didn't work out but sure these things happen. I know what you mean about a trip to the bank manager re flight training. I'm making one myself soon. Anyway good luck for the future,
Shane

magazine_editor

Post by magazine_editor »

Hello Tadgh,

Many thanks for your comments of support for "Flying In Ireland". I look forward to meeting you some time soon and hope we can work together and build on your experience with "Wings Ireland".

You have emerged from the "Wings Ireland" adventure with your credibility and integrity intact. For that you should hold your head high. "Wings Ireland" made a huge contribution to the aviation scene in Ireland. It generated enthusiasm, interest and excitement, and for that you can feel proud of your achievement.

It is never nice to walk away from a venture that may not have met your expectations, certainly if there is financial pain in the aftermath. But a broader view is needed, and acknowledgement of a great achievement is demanded, and given.

I wish you the very best of luck in your chosen career, and I look forward to the time when our paths cross.

Cheers
Laurence Dwyer
editor@flyinginireland.com

Brian McGrath
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Brian McGrath »

Tadgh

I too would like to express my sincere thanks to you for what you tried to do for the aviation scene in Ireland, I really thought that it would work out for you but sadly it did not.

It was a pleasure for me to have met you , I would also like say a special word of thanks for the editions of Wings Ireland that you brought out for the 2004 Salthill Air Show which were full of info on the participating aircraft.

I hope that you will make it to Salthill on the 26th of June and we can have a few beers.

Good luck in whatever you do in the future

I also wish Flying in Ireland the very best in their new venture and that the magazine will take off (Pardon the pun) if we all get behind it it will.

Brian McGrath
The Salthill Air Show

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air »

Hi Everyone,

In particular those of us who received a refund from Tadgh via Wings
Ireland. I have a proposal to make. As the man has proved himself
to be a very decent business person with the refunds. And while
attempting to provide us all with an Irish aviation magazine of excellent
quality, he himself has incurred many sleepless night's and debt's he
would not have otherwise incurred. I would like to suggest that if you
have'nt already cashed the refunded cheque, please dont, that is if you
can manage without it. If you already have or if other's would like to
make a donation to Tadgh to help alleviate his obvious financial problems,
please reply.
I am suggesting this course of action ONLY because Tadgh has proved
himself to be a real gentleman. I dont know him personally nor have I
ever met the man, but I'm sure that he will probably be very embarrised
with this proposal, please don't be Tadgh. I'm opened to suggestions as to
how this might work.

Regards,
Hugo.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Hugo,

Was contemplating a similar sentiment, and agree its a great idea.

Will be doing so .

Willo

EI_BAZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EI_BAZ »

I would also just like to add my thanks to Tadgh for being such a professional during what must have been a very hard time for him. It takes a lot of courage and determination to start a venture such as a new publication so he deserves a well done for getting as far as he did.
I have to hold my hand up and admit I thought I wouldn't see the money again and that was the last I would hear of Wings Ireland.
It was a very pleasant surprise to receive the cheque and very honest letter from Tadgh.
A big thank you to Tadgh and I hope it all works out for you and the website.

Barry