Galway Airport. Avoid Avoid

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

BDoyle
Verified User
Verified User

Galway Airport. Avoid Avoid

Post by BDoyle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:25 pm

recently had to divert into Galway because of weather. could not get beck out for 3 days. got a nice big hefty bill for landing and parking !!!!!! explained that i had no choice, did not want to be in galway but no use. told that there was some VFR weather in galway on day two so could have shoved off then. problem was it was VFR in Galway only route to shannon was not. explained that this policy was unsafe as some pilot may just push his / her luck to avoid expense (yes it does happen thats why the scheme to avoid such is so successful in UK) and we dont need just another reason (small one i know) to keep going.
not going to let this rest and already have sent complaint to IAA. i want to also formally object when ops licence is up for renewal. the IAA complaint page asks for suggestions to avoid issues i said it should be a condition of any ops licence that fees for weather or other 'problem' delays should not be charged. if some more of us send similar we just might get somewhere.
Galway airport has a very poor reputation among the GA community.......pity as the workers there are fine. now if only management could be as useful !!!!!!!!

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Galway Airport. Avoid Avoid

Post by Pilot » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Out of curiousity, how much was the 'big hefty bill'.

On man's 'big hefty bill' could be another mans reasonable one if you don't put a figure on it.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 am

no fee is reasonable under these conditions. This principle has been established in the marine world from the days of sail and should be the same in aviation. If the fee was not paid up before your departure i feel you would be entitled to delay payment for as long as you can to make the point.

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:08 am

I cant say I'm surprised to be honest.
My experiences with Galway have been nothing but horrible.
They have no interest in GA and make that quite clear, as seen in the past with there " navigation fee".
Sorry for your troubles Cub but I wouldnt expect any less from an over subsidised underworked semi-state quango !
We'll see how much support they'll get now that the government has cut there funding !
I hate to see the demise of aviation of any kind in Ireland however Id make an exception to Galway, the sooner it closes the better !

Inverted.

damienair
Verified User
Verified User

Post by damienair » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:35 pm

That is shocking carry on, I have always avoided Galway because of similar stories. There is no excuse, an emergency is an emergency, whether it is caused by Weather or Engine trouble, and no fee should ever be charged. I know of a fellow Irish Microlighter whom was Touring the UK a couple of years ago and experienced engine trouble, the closest airfield was a RAF base, he had no choice and could not even find the correct freq to call as he was so busy with his work load trying to nurse his plane down. As he touched down he was fully expecting to be arrested and carried off to a cell. However when he was approached by security whom drove out to meet him, instead of being arrested, the RAF engineers gave him every assistance to solve the problem and he was airbourne again 2 hours later after a coffee, professional assistance and at no charge. They completely understood the situation and complimented him for his decision. Galway need to cop onto themselves.
Pegasus XL 462
PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 pm

at a cost of €3.27 perL avgas ( €2.70 plus 21% VAT ) Galway is probably the most expensive place to fill up this side of the Urals. can anyone beat that price???. just proves they are not interested in GA.

waterford is the next most expensive at €2.86 incl Vat, then comes kerry at €2.78, Knock at €2.75 and weston at €2.70.

best place to fill up is Sligo at €2.66 incl vat.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Fanstop wrote:at a cost of €3.27 perL avgas
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Kilrush is definitely the lowest price in the 26 counties.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 pm

How much?

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:45 am

Bad news for Galway last night.
Aer Arann are suspending their services through Galway for the winter. 55 people are employed there and 40 of them will be laid off (temporarily?). Airport manager Joe Walshe was interviewed on RTE news last night about it.

tom in weston
Verified User
Verified User

Post by tom in weston » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 pm

My guess is they'll be running out to greet the little guy in his Cessna with open arms.......all hugs and kisses.

What else have they left now, only the G.A. community...lets hope they haven't shot themselves in the foot.

I just had a thought come to my mind, "is an airport still an airport if there are no planes?"

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 pm

No, its a car park with no cars ! If all else fails they can race hot rods :lol:

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:52 pm

Let's not be so smart here. That's 40 employees with families etc who don't decide management policy at the airport.
If I'm not mistaken the author of the original post on this thread, reports in his article in the current FII magazine, that the airport subsequently waived the fees complained about, so they do take note. It's quite right of course to push for the "Strasser Scheme" to be adopted by all the airports in the interest of safety. :)

BDoyle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BDoyle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:21 am

with the news of so many jobs to be lost at Galway we can only show sympathy with the employees. Strikecommand is correct they dont make policy. The airport management did waive the costs involved in my incident and they did say that they were 'reviewing' their fuel prices. i hope that they can save as many jobs as possible.

aeroreport
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by aeroreport » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:18 pm

An ATR presence will still remain due to the fact that the Aer Arann PART-145 Engineering ops is based there, so ATR's will not fanish(pardon the pun!) over the winter.
Jobs lost will be in the "AV8 cafe bar staff, AVIS car hire and the other car hire place there (Cant remember the company name), Aer Arann check in staff and a % cut in fire crew and security staff with 1 or 2 airport admin staff in there aswell I would assume.
Mabey another small factor, but all the Galway taxi's you always see out side the terminal will take a big hit in business also! As will the Centra across the road.

The only real operation to remain will be Executive Helicopters Charter and Engineering company (But even they dont do Pilot Training anymore).

Its going to be another Sligo....!