Ireland's best scenery

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Ireland's best scenery

Post by cubpilot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 am

there are numerous guide books extolling the virtues of Ireland's scenery but all from a ground based perspective. Flying over the top of Mahon Falls and the Coomragh Mountains and seeing something that few people other than aviators ever look at the thought came to me that we should share ideas on our top five or ten best scenes that can only be seen from above.
since this is my idea i am going to say my No 1 view is to look East at the Cliffs of Mohr when at about 800ft AMSL. and No 2 would be when flying over the Burren on a crystal clear day.
(I wonder, will there be an addendum to the flight guides?)

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Ireland's best scenery

Post by stovepipe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi cubpilot,
there are dozens of coffee-table books of Irish scenery, usually taken from helicopters, usually featuring pstcard stalwarts such as the Rock of Cashel and the Cliffs of Moher and so on. Usually, these books are generated with a view to attracting tourists or for photographers to show off their wares or for flogging aerial photos of people's houses.Mostly, the pilot is just on hand to get the snapper off the ground.Con Brogan, NMAI stalwart, is an exception, as he is a professional photographer who photographs for State organisations and is a microlight owner. His excellent photos, quite often of the less touristy locations, can be found in every tourist office and tourist-tat shop in the country, on Duchas calendars and the like.He can also be found in Kilrush, fooling around with a Thruster, which he claims is an actual aircraft, capable of committing flight;)
regards
Stovepipe

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi Stovepipe, I was hoping that folk might give their own opinions on spots to fly over that they have found interesting/scenic since there is quite a big difference from looking at someone elses still photos and actually experiencing the scenery for oneself.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:50 pm

From a completely biased point of view !....... Donegal
Seriously...... stunning scenery from Carrickfinn right round the coast and right up to Antrim..... fabulous. I have done this trip many times and it never ceases to amaze me, not to mention the many passengers that have flew it with me.
There is many places in Ireland with stunning scenery, the South West is very nice, as is the N/E up in Co.Down.
If you like cliffs, check out Slieve League in Donegal, they are the highest cliff faces in Europe, breathtaking indeed.

Jon

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:43 pm

My favourite terrain is the run down the valleys between Millstreet and Bantry via Gougane Barra (the source of the River Lee) at about 3,000 ft with the descent over Kealkill looking down the length of Bantry Bay - finished off with the spectacular over water approach to Bantry Airfield.
Shrtfld

NAG
Verified User
Verified User

Post by NAG » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 pm

jonkil wrote:If you like cliffs, check out Slieve League in Donegal, they are the highest cliff faces in Europe, breathtaking indeed.
Have to correct you there Jon. I believe it's Croaghaun on the coast of Achill Island that holds the title of highest sea cliffs in Ireland and they are only second highest in Europe. With only 85m between Slieve League and Croaghaun, you weren't far off though. Haven't seen Croaghaun myself but Slieve League is most definitely an impressive sight and well worth a visit as is Donegal in general.

Next on my list is the west coast of Galway and Mayo which I'm hoping will be special and also Fastnet Rock off the SW coast.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Flying into Enniskillen the view of Upper and Lower Lough Erne from the air is something special.

A sightseeing flight from Navan to the coast along the Boyne has lots of interesting things to see including the Hill of Slane, Newgrange and Dowth, Boyne bridges (old and new!) and Baltray beach.

The low-level Lambay route through Dublin's CTA gives you a spectacular view of Lambay Island from 500' agl, which is something not many people get to see.

Not sure if it counts as scenery, but flying over Dublin City Centre along the Liffey from Poolbeg to Weston is pretty special as well.

Joe McDermott
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Joe McDermott » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Here's a recent photo abeam The Chimneys at thr mouth of River Liffey :

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/10423 ... 40683&sp=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe

NAG
Verified User
Verified User

Post by NAG » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:36 pm

I snapped this one recently...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nagsta/590 ... 7007427441" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love that view.

skamil
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by skamil » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:59 am

A few of my shots...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theskamil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kamil

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Kemil,

I sent you a PM (Private Message)

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

jm2833530
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jm2833530 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:13 pm

I've a few here:
picasaweb.google.com/jm283530; also youtube search G-CETH for cliffs of moher wibbly wobbly video :oops: :oops:

oshkosh trip report coming next week