This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Monthly Irish Aviation Magazine-Flying In Ireland

Post by mark »

Hi All,

We are about to launch a new Irish Aviation magazine, "Flying In Ireland" which is a development of this website.

Take a look at the magazine website www.flyinginireland.com/mag.htm for more information about the launch issue. It will be available in shops nationwide from the first week in February.

Regards,
Mark Dwyer
Technical Editor,
FlyingInIreland Magazine

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

Great to hear Mark! :D:D

I wish you the best of luck with it :D ;)

Daryl

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Mark,

Best of luck with the mag.

Let us know when its available, & need any gen, let us know.

Brian

robertd
Unverified User
Unverified User

Great!

Post by robertd »

Sounds great, I'm very interested to see it when it comes out in Feb, if it is in any way as succesful as this site this magazine will be the best Irish Aviation mag yet! good luck with it mark and hope it all goes well! :)

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

I wish you the best of luck with the magazine from all here in Cork.......
Need any photos/articles just let me know :D :D :D
Well done :!:
Regards,
Aidan

EIWAT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIWAT »

Best of Luck to you Mark! Lets hope its a Success!
Regards

EI-WAT

danelane2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by danelane2000 »

Much luck with it Mark, hope it does well.

;) Patrick
Cork Live Director,
www.cork-live.com

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

Well Done Mark

I have an aritcle gathering dust here about Coonagh, interested?!

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air »

Hi Mark,
First I must congratulate you and your group on the new Irish aviation magazine,?Flying in Ireland? which I definatly will purchase. But am I the only one who thinks
it very odd that ?Wings Ireland? apperantly disappeared without trace and in the
very next breath a brand new magazine covering exactly the same subjects,
shows up with very little advance notice. Please note, I am not accusing any
person or group of any wrong doing, but I think some questions need answering.

1.Taj, could you please tell us what actually happened to ?Wings?. Even if only to
say that production costs vastly outstriped income, a common failing with many
new projects.
2. Is ?Flying in Ireland? in reality ?Wings? mk 2.
3. Did ?Wings? drop out to allow ?Flying in Ireland? a free run?.
4. Was ?Wings? bought out or givin lock, stock and barrel to ?Flying in Ireland? .
5. Or was it just pure co-incidence that every thing happened the way it did.

I really do want ?Flying in Ireland? to succeed, but I can?t continue to throw my
hard earned at every new mag that arrives on my screen.
The thing I find intriguing is, what would have happened if ?Wings? was still
on sale, would there have been a battle royle for our subscriptions. Talking of
which, I consider myself lucky that I received all five copies for my ?70.00 sub to
?Wings Ireland?. We have read that some people paid their sub and got absolutely
nothing in return. Subscriptions are the life blood of all publications, but once
bitten twice shy. Sorry Mark, no sub from me until the mag proves itself. I will
on the other hand ask my local newsagent to it order for me on a monthly basis.
Best of luck for the future Mark.

Regards
Hugo.

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

hugoj_air wrote:2. Is ?Flying in Ireland? in reality ?Wings? mk 2.
3. Did ?Wings? drop out to allow ?Flying in Ireland? a free run?.

I was pondering on it... doubt it though.

magazine_editor

Post by magazine_editor »

Hello Hugo,

You have earned my admiration: You are the first person to step up to the bar and state what I believe a lot of people are thinking. The points you raise do deserve addressing.

"Wings Ireland" disappearance, and the arrival of a new magazine. This is total coincidence. I have never met Tadhg, never even spoke to the guy, although many, many attempts were made to contact him over the last couple of months. We felt it a matter of professional courtesy to tell him of impending competition in the marketplace.

No, "Flying In Ireland" is definitely not "Wings Ireland" mk2. That's our intention, your judgement on that one will dictate future sales!

No, WI did not drop out to give us a free run. In fact, unless Tadhg is reading this string on the forum, I'm not sure he even knows of "Flying In Ireland". I know he didn't hear it from us.

And no, WI was not bought out or given over to "Flying In Ireland".

I know absolutely nothing about the "Wings Ireland" operation, other than to confirm your assertion that a lot of people feel embittered by their experience of parting with hard earned cash, and no return.

This experience has caused us plenty of problems, not the least of which is the difficulty now of getting sponsorship or advertising to fund the venture.

To provide some background, the "Flying In Ireland" magazine project has been under consideration and review for the last 12 months or so. You're probably aware Mark only finished his Leaving Cert in June, and by this time "Wings Ireland" had already made its appearance. We watched with interest its progress, but still considered our plans for a (now rival) magazine to be worth proceeding with. The structure WI was evolving into is the format of our launch issue. Subsequent issues will have a broader scope.

In light of people's experience with WI subscriptions we do not plan offering a subscription service until the 3rd or 4th issue at the earliest. As you rightly say, until the magazine has proved its bona fides.

I can understand you perspective, and your frustration. My thanks to you for raising your points and allowing me the opportunity to clear the air.

At this stage my advice is, stay in 'the hold' until next week, then BUY the magazine. I'd be very interested in your feedback, and suggestions for future content and / or improvement to current contents. And always, you are welcome to contribute articles and comment on any and all aspects of Irish aviation.

With very best regards.

editor@flyinginireland.com
www.flyinginireland.com

seamus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by seamus »

I hope there will be Microlight related articles as there were in Wings Ireland.

Shey
Thruster T300 ( Microlight )

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air »

Hi Laurence,
magazine editor

I fully accept all that you said in your posting. I fact I was put straight
by an acquaintance of mine who is also a friend of Mark's when he sent me the following:

To be fair to Mark he had told me a month or two ago that he and his father were working on this for months. I did have a concern that it would be seen to compete with Wings. His response was that they would be targetting slightly different markets. Ultimately he wants his mag to be an Irish version of Pilot or Flyer.

It would fantastic to have an Irish aviation magazine with the quality and content of the likes of Pilot or Flyer. Looking forward to the first issue.

All the best for the furure,
Regards,
Hugo.
Last edited by hugoj_air on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

I am sure it will be great no matter what.

Best of Luck Guys!

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Good Luck!!!

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

I never even thought of the link, but I suppose I wouldn't!!!,
Anyway Good Luck again, and I'll be buying one of the first copies available. Looking Forward to seeing the news collum, all will be revealved!
Thanks again,

Byron Smith,
The Historical Aviation Society Of Ireland- Website & Online Network

PS: For The Record, I Went To The Flying In Ireland Magazine before Wings, an exclusive!!!