Flying to Galway for the Galway Races!
  • Camroc
    Verified User
    Verified User

Flying to Galway for the Galway Races!

by Camroc » Mon May 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Hey Guys.

I am just looking for some advice on flying to Galway for the races. I am a relatively new pilot so I don't have much experience with what I need to do when flying to these events.

Basically I just am looking to find out where I should fly into (if not galway airport). How much will it cost etc for parking/hangarage (C172) for a few days.

How busy will it be with heli traffic etc.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Regards

Camroc
  • vanman
    Verified User
    Verified User

Re: Flying to Galway for the Galway Races!

by vanman » Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 am

The Galway races isn't what it was, time was it there were scores of helicopter flights flying into the Ballybrit. But many didn't originate at Galway airport. They tried to cash in by demanding a fee for ATC coverage. That was then and this is now. Last year, there were only a few helicopters. It was really quiet.

Galway airport is in trouble, it's losing it's subsidy and route to Dublin. They will welcome any traffic. You won't get hangarage and fuel costs are quite high. There is something of a question mark as to whether it will continue as a regional airport right now or indeed whether it actually remains open.

So quite frankly you wil be welcomed for race week.

There is an alternative in Craughwell but unless you know the owners, it may not be viable.
  • Fanstop
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Fanstop » Tue May 24, 2011 3:22 pm

Galway airport did not make any friends by trying to charge anyone who went into 'their' airspace. i see the attitude has not changed in the current edition of flying in ireland their only comment about the brave lads who are trying to set up an air link from galway docks to dublin docks was to the effect that they has better consult Galway airport for permission to use 'their' airspace!!!!! back in your box lads they do not need to consult with anyone other than the IAA.
    Galways days are numbered and their own attitude has not helped. we will be back to the days of the carnmore strip again. feel sorry for the employees they were good to deal with. pity about the management or lack of it.
    story of the country i suppose.
  • Camroc
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Camroc » Tue May 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks for the reply guys but no offence I didn't ask for advice with the intention of starting an attack on Galway Airport.

Has anyone any info on how much they charge for parking for 2/3 nights.
    How much it is for use of their airspace.
    Tips about flying around Galway around the time of the races etc.
    I won't need fuel from there hopefully as i'll be leaving with full tanks.

Cheers guys
  • vanman
    Verified User
    Verified User

by vanman » Tue May 24, 2011 11:15 pm

They're on Facebook so a couple of questions there might help. If you don't buy fuel, parking is relatively inexpensive. Not sure as to the actual cost as it doesn't come out of my pocket. I don't think they'll try and charge you for airspace use when you actually land at the airport. They are in trouble as news reports on RTE confirm tonight. It's a pity as I always had a great reception when I operate there. No attack on Galway airport from me. I've only experienced excellent service and professionalism when I fly there.
    hum
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hum » Thu May 26, 2011 11:23 am

Camroc wrote:
    Has anyone any info on how much they charge for parking for 2/3 nights.
    How much it is for use of their airspace.

Cheers guys
    Why not ask them?

http://www.galwayairport.com/legal/Contact_Us/5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    :?
  • xair899
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by xair899 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Try downloading this file from the box on top right of page:

http://www.galwayairport.com/airport_in ... Charges/33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;