Chipmunk 169

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Chipmunk 169

Post by vanman »

The bosses are correct for the Chipmunk, frankly they are better then the current bosses. It was R.W. O'Sullivan who designed the original tricolour boss. It was trialed on a Gladiator in the late thirties but never used until the fifties. The green/orange boss makes more sense in a wartime environment. Frankly in my opinion it looks better than the current scheme.

As for the colour scheme of of the Spitfires, it was evident that they were different to that of the Seafires. I had a piece of a Seafire, when I suggested it was a certain colour. I was crucified, despite the fact that I actually had a piece in my hand.

There's always some bloody so called expert who knows nothing.

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns »

Having spoken to Stovepipe he assures me that I am not a” Wanchor
------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that Declan could confirm that I supplied the details, location and dimensions of the colour scheme for his Chipmunk. Declan said thanks, that is all I ask for.
-------------------------------------------------------
Vanman
I too like the two colour boss. In 1934 Avro 626 A10 had a two colour and then a three colour boss applied to the fuselage as an experiment but not adopted. The two colour was applied for the first time on the Ansons in 1938. At the request of Army Units a white square was added to the fuselage boss commencing in 1941 after considering four variations ( one of which was to later appear on a Seafire briefly.)
To confuse you further Vanman, the first two spitfires 158 and 159 were in the same matt green as the Seafires the remainder were requested to have Gloss. It is only after in service use that the different shades emerge including the Seafires.
More confusion; Air Corps Spitfires had matt black interiors, Duxford painted it green.
The three colour was introduced following a meeting in Feb 1956 to commence with the Vampire, however a Chipmunk 165 was in fact the first to have it applied.
Phew!
So there you have it, does that qualify me as that “some bloody so called expert who knows nothing “
Tony K
Last edited by Tony Kearns on Wed May 11, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman »

Indeed Tony, I wasn't thinking of you when I mentioned the 'so called expert'. :lol: In fact I was thinking you be along with the right information shortly.

I can assure you that after the Eurolotto win when my Spitfire and Hurricane arrives, you will be consulted.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Tony,

My apologies and my original reply is duly edited.

Regards,
David
OnTheNumbers
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns »

Thank you David I have removed that paragraph.
Tony K

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Any idea why the early roundel was only two colours - was it pragmatic or aesthetic?

David
OnTheNumbers

Tony Kearns
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tony Kearns »

OnTheNumbers wrote:Any idea why the early roundel was only two colours - was it pragmatic or aesthetic?

David
The two colour boss made identification difficult when on side view, compared to the British roundel ( which some Coastwatchers and army posts described as "Bulls Eye markings on the fuselage". It was following the Army request that the white square was applied, often incorrectly described as a "neutrality square".The policy of application is a " minefield " in 1946 Miles Magisters were delivered with the white square whereas the Martinets and the Avro XIX's delivered the same year had the two colour boss applied. To further confuse, the Seafires delivered in 1947 had the white square, why? I don't know, Maybe to make like more difficult for me!
Tony K

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

I kinda like the three colour roundel. I know it's more difficult to do but that's part of it's appeal. Any country can do a cross or a star or concentric circles but it takes real talent to do nested circles
:-)

David
OnTheNumbers