This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

n

Post by JFH » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:38 pm

n
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Emergency Landing in Connemara (Letterfrack)

Post by hugoj_air » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Emergency Landing in Connemara (Letterfrack)
Sudden landing??? Anyone know what that means. I wonder was an emergency declared or was somebody just visiting friends.
PLANE TAKES OFF FROM FIELD IN CONNEMARA
WOW!! A plane takes of from a field-where did they expect it to take off from :lol:.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

n

Post by JFH » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 am

j
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 pm

JFH wrote:This was an emergency landing .
Where did you hear that this was an emergency landing?

I would think the pilot made the landing purposely, if the report is correct then the plane flying out the next day reinforces this.....if it was a precautionary/forced landing then fair play to him/her for making a good job of it.
A lot of the modern light stuff can operate out of 100metres in the right hands, I myself land in fields where no airstrip exists, with the owners consent I hasten to add ! ... I land regularly in a field on one of our offshore islands that is about 120 metres long, spend the night or two with friends and leave when I'm ready.
As Hugo states, there is nothing abnormal in that.... Look at his database and you will find the amount of fields that aeroplanes have used is astounding.
JFH wrote: Now, back to my origional question, does anyone know the Reg of the aircraft in question ?
As far as the registration goes, I am sure that the pilot in command would have made the necessary calls if he/she felt that this was warranted, if they have i am sure we will hear in due course.
The media can have a skewed view of things and let nothing get in the way of a good story.

Higgie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Higgie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi All
I heard that there were 3 microlights in the same friendly farmers field on Sunday.
Its amazing that big cessna drivers assume that every landing on grass has to be an emergency.
I landed in four fields over the last two weeks, none of which had ever seen an aeroplane before.
If the rumors are true that Udaras are going to insist on 24 hours notice, as well as a landing fee, for landing on the Islands then I'll be trying to find a friendly farmer out there as well.
Tourism my A***
Higgie

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:09 pm

24 hours notice........
Good luck to them with that theory, they must be hanging around EICM too much ( with there nav charges!!)
Let them introduce it and I'll be the 1st person to get a question raised in the Dail about this racket !
Jobs for the boys......this makes me sick !!!!

bumitch
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bumitch » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Rat holes, tractor ruts, boggy spots, hidden rocks
I'd very much prefer a parking lot. :o

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:21 pm

bumitch wrote:Rat holes, tractor ruts, boggy spots, hidden rocks
I'd very much prefer a parking lot. :o
Agreed,
if one is not happy or experienced with strip flying then "proper" airports are the place to stay, on the other hand many of us could never live with such restrictions ! :lol:
Cant wait for Kevin Glynn's and Willie Flood's books to become available, there are many many airstrips in Ireland that people know little or nothing about !

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:38 pm

JFH, I wasn't having a go at you, just another occurrence of bad aviation journalism. Don't take it so personal. If I do come across the aircraft reg I'll pass it on to you. I had a look at the Letterfrack area aerial photos and I found several fields of 200m + which could (after inspection and permission) be used by most microlights and some group A aircraft. And yes, I would say at least 90% of that part of the country would not be aircraft friendly as regards suitable landing sites.
Do you have any idea where the actual field is located. The reported field is in Ross, near Moya Ard. I assume that's the townlands of Moyard and Roscrea about 2nm WSW of Letterfrack.
I second Jonkil's mention of Kevin and Willie's flight guides, can't wait for them to appear.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

n

Post by JFH » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:59 am

n
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:54 pm

:lol: Haha, too funny. What length is the field ? ? I didn't see any near your place last time i "Flew By"

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:51 am

Hi all,
With respect to all you initiated, an aircraft descending with it's engine throttled back, to apparently land/come down at a place where no known aerodrome exists, looks like a crash about to happen to the unitiated, ie, the great mass of the general public who are not aviators. Could we have an orderly wind-down of the sneering superior tone, please?
As for off-field landings on uninspected surfaces, please keep doing it so that your NMAI Inspector can have something to do to fill his idle days :wink:
regards
Stovepipe

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:40 pm

stovepipe wrote: As for off-field landings on uninspected surfaces, please keep doing it so that your NMAI Inspector can have something to do to fill his idle days :wink:
regards
Stovepipe
This sort of behaviour of landing into un-inspected landing sites is not to be promoted in any way, as is landing without consent from the owner.
As an NMAI inspector myself I have never did any remedial work on aircraft resulting from damage on such instances, nor do I know of many others inspectors that do either ..... the fact that "most" microlighters operate regularly from grass airfields, many of which are very short, learns then the procedures of how to operate safely and responsibly out of such sites. This is not a condescending view, it is fact.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:38 pm

stovepipe wrote:Could we have an orderly wind-down of the sneering superior tone, please?
Well said Stovepipe. I think it's fair to say that, as of yet, no one here knows for certain if it was an emergency landing or a regular landing.

This is a forum, and the nature of forums is.... you guessed it.... rampant rumour and speculation.

Both arguments hold equal weight for now!
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

fast oiseau
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Big Plane, Big Fall

Post by fast oiseau » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Stovepipe has a point.When I first started flying a light aircraft into a field in the west of Ireland in the mid-90's it was the subject on intense curiosity locally.Folk came to view the machine and farmer types would kick it forcefully stating it was a bit light of construction.I was reported to the Guards many times for gun-running,drug smuggling etc.I got to know the local Detective Sergeant very well indeed.
As a precaution I used ring the D/S in advance and let him know I was in the neighborhood for a while and eventually things settled down.
One time a gang of Hells Angels on a round Ireland tour saw me land in this remote location and they went out of their way down narrow country lanes to enquire as to my welfare,as,from their perspective ,they thought I was crashing.I was glad of their concern as I may well have been crashing.
In my experience the general population have no idea how aircraft operate nor where they operate from and as a consequence reportage can be sensational.
L'Oiseau :P