Landing Fees on Arran Islands

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Landing Fees on Arran Islands

Post by cubpilot » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 am

Can anyone tell me when landing fees were brought in for the Arann Islands? I landed there in August and there was no mechanism to be able to pay a fee and so made a payment into the lifeboat fund which i gathered was the normal thing to do.
I have just received an invoice from the dept dated in 9 dec 2011 stating landing fees are now required with immediate effect. it is only 10 e but before i pay anything i would like to know if they are trying it on by making retrospective demands or had they made a public declaration of fees prior to my use of the place?
anyone else had an invoice?
i know the state is hard up but is this anyway to run a country

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 pm

m
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Landing Fees on Arran Islands

Post by jonkil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

JFH wrote:Cubpilot,
Which Island(s) did you land on?
Was this stated on the Invoice?
Whom issued the Invoice? The department of Gealtacht & Rural affairs? And from which office? name?

I dont see how they can charge a landing fee?
The islands I thought where built for and paid for by the tax payer in the 1970's! And the general upkeep of the airstrips is funded by the department of Gealtacht & rural affairs.
It would be Interesting to find out how much Galway Aviations Services Ltd (Aer Arann Islands) on how much they pay for landing fee's or if they do pay landing fee's for that matter !
I flew in there a few times in 2010 and have never heard a whisper of a landing fee!
Ditto,
I was in a lot of times during 2010, always made a contribution to lifeboats.
Interested on more news on this, The Islands are a wonderful place to visit.

Jon

Pearse1983
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pearse1983 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Just checking the logbook and I flew into Innishmore (EIIM) on 16th July 2010. There was no landing fee required and a donation to the lifeboats was made in leiu.

Hope this helps.
Pearse

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:14 pm

I saw one invoice recently sent to our club from Inis Meain. I think it was from Inis Meain Co-op. If memoary servesme right, this was the co-op that was on strike a while ago & affected Aer Arann ops to the island.

i would be surprised if Aer Arann Islands are paying fees as they are subsidised to operate the routes. Wherever it somes from though, the airports do require manning, upkeep etc, so it is irrelevant when they were built.

€10 seems reasonable, particularly for the views! Be good to advise the flying public though as misunderstandings can build up otherwise

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:43 pm

not sure how to post it but i have a pdf with the letter and invoice from the gaeltacht office in galway. in my view there has been no published info on fees nor was there any notice or way to pay a fee in the building on the middle island. in asking the ground crew if there was a fee they just pointed to the lifeboat box.
anyway have sent a stiff email to the girls who signed the letter with my opinion today. good though to hear that i had not been mistaken and i had left without coughing up. for use of the strip 10e is good value but it is the principle of the situation that galls me.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:14 pm

An update, I have had a reply the gist being that fees were introduced in march 2010, notice was sent to airport managers in ireland ( i wonder where that got filed) and supposedly notices placed in the teminal buildings on the islands ( but when we were there i saw nothin) here it gets silly. the airport staff were instructed that they have nothing to do with landing fees. hence the shrug of shoulders when asked about landing fees. Fees will be gathered by sending invoices to owners as and when the airport staff send the landing logbook to galway.
so for the sake of not letting the locals take cash on the day or having an honesty box they have generated a huge and costly paper trail to gather in 10 euro. obviously for hired planes there then is a papertrail to find out who went to the islands and owes the money to the owner.

i just wonder if all irish government finance is run on these lines?
talking of begging bowls i do feel a little guilty that i paid my 10 euro to the lifeboat fund to pay for a tin of diesel fuel rather than to the folk in galway who will be starving as they will not have the cash to pay for luncheon expenses.

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:19 pm

n
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 pm

cubpilot wrote:An update, I have had a reply the gist being that fees were introduced in march 2010, notice was sent to airport managers in ireland ( i wonder where that got filed) and supposedly notices placed in the teminal buildings on the islands ( but when we were there i saw nothin) here it gets silly. the airport staff were instructed that they have nothing to do with landing fees. hence the shrug of shoulders when asked about landing fees. Fees will be gathered by sending invoices to owners as and when the airport staff send the landing logbook to galway.
so for the sake of not letting the locals take cash on the day or having an honesty box they have generated a huge and costly paper trail to gather in 10 euro. obviously for hired planes there then is a papertrail to find out who went to the islands and owes the money to the owner.
Cant blame the staff on the Islands for shrugging their shoulders to this piece of crap. Maybe it would be worth them putting 3 managers on the Islands to collect the fees, sure a couple hundred thousand euro per year should sort it out..... and it wouldn't be a shock if they bloody did !!

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:09 pm

So prpbably a cost of €20 to collect €10!!! Sir Humphrey is alive & well.

honesty box only way to go, most will pay & those who don't, well sod them.

Can I have one of the Airport Manager's jobs!!!!

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Would not cost anything for the person who enters your reg. into the log to collect the Tenner.

But that would be a cheaper way out and then, there would be no overheads for administration etc.
Nah! Would never work!
(Jobs at Risk, Too much idle time, Less stamps to purchase, Wont look busy anymore.) :oops:
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:39 am

Are all the islands subject to this fee, or just Inishmann?

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:58 am

all three and there will be three managers. i have suggested that they need to have a one off payment of the 10 euro to encompass landing at more than one strip on one day as many pilots like to island hop once they have made the effort to head west.
can't see the jobs being a full time post so guess that whoever is doing it will be elsewhere at times when the schedules are not running.
what a change from the first time i flew there. donkeys had to be moved by a low flypast, the cessna bogged down in a hole in soft sand and when flying back had total radio failure passing ennis. shannon in that day busy with 707s going transatlantic and concorde crew training. slight feeling of panic!

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I thought people were being sarcastic about their being three airport managers!! I hadn't realised that was actually the plan!

These guys are off the wall! I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Oban.

The opening hours on the island are quite restrictive, but the airports never minded you taking off or landing out of hours. I bet that will all change when an airport manager is appointed.

No more returning home of a summers evening.

P

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:29 pm

whats the bets the fee will jump from €10 soon. there is a dirty notice from the IAA on the window of one 'terminal' stating that all sorts will happen if you land without permission..............found that out when i had to make an 'urgent' landing recently to check something that rattled................ :oops: boy how it has changed.
maybe AOPA could take this one on. or do we just bend over and let them do us just like the €40 for a stupid test that tells us we actually do speak english !!!
How about it AOPA?