Post by viz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:59 pm

Jim, PM sent

Kevlar
Verified User
Verified User

Re: English Language Proficiency

Post by Kevlar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:41 pm

From the IAA web site:

NOTE: With regard to Irish Licence holders operating in another JAA member state, the Authority will accept English Language Proficiency assessments carried out by assessors who are licensed and directly approved by another JAA member state Aviation Authority to perform English Language Assessments. A copy of the current examiner authorisation which shows the authorisation to perform language assessments must be submitted with any assessments sent to the Authority. If you have any doubt as to the acceptability of a proposed assessor please forward a copy of the current examiner authorisation to this Authority in advance of a proposed test.

So whats stopping me doing the ELP in the UK or anywhere else for that matter?
Regards, Kevlar

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Nothing stopping you aquiring the assessment in any ICAO Country.
Nobody seems to have informed the IAA that JAA has now been superceeded by EASA!

Rather strange that the above only appeared on their website this evening, maybe something to do with a call from IAOPA!
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by viz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks Kevlar, Jim,

I will give the IAA a shout during the week to see if they will NOW accept UK ELP assessments. The only thing worrying me is the opening line... ("With regard to Irish Licence holders operating in another JAA member state") I am an Irish Pilot operating in Ireland. I recieved the ELP level 6 assement at the same time I sat the RTOL exam in the UK. Lets see what happens!!

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 am

Just when you think things coul'nt get worse!

AOPA offers to assess for the IAA (under their syllabus) every AOPA Prescribed member free ELP then...

The IAA insist on payment for your assesment.
APPENDIX 2 TO SCHEDULE 21 — ELP EXAMINATIONS
Type of Examination Cost per subject/ Rechecks per subject\ \

ELP test for Private Pilot or Commercial 40/ 40 Pilot Licence — (Single Pilot Aircraft —VFR Operations)

ELP test for Instrument Rating (Aeroplane 60/ 60 or Helicopter) — (Single Pilot Aircraft —IFR Operations)

ELP test for MPL(A) or for CPL with ATPL 120/ 120 Theoretical Knowledge Credit and Multi Pilot Aircraft

Type Rating or for MCC Certificate ELP test for Airline Transport Pilot Licence 120/ 120

(Aeroplane or Helicopter) — (Multi Pilot Aircraft—IFR or VFR Operations) ELP test for Flight Engineer Licence 120/ 120
AOPA Ireland regards the above charges by authorities (which they demand) as another withdrawal opportunity by them, from the reality of our community when they, seem determined to distance themselves from the amount of personnell who operate under the ever expansion of costs and new regulations regardless,

YET! they also seek advice, guidance and assistance on the amount of non-lawful incidences which, appear to be happening on an ever increasing ratio, and they wonder WHY!

As the payment is for another IAA "pocket", we have received emails and phone calls from members who stated they would rather not renew their RTOL when it becomes due or, operate RT without the ELP and suffer the consequences regardless!

We regard the IAA as an Authority who could (and should) be in unison with those they represent.
Presently, nothing could be further from the truth!

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:14 am

We dont believe everyone understands the implictions of the ELP, this is from the OK CAA publications database http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1688/ICAO%20L ... 20Crew.pdf

Note: As a microlight license is not an iCAO qualification or recognition, they are exempt forom inclusion because they are a National Qualification.

We are still awaiting an answer from the IAA on this position.
(ELP is an icao/easa reg. but microlights are not recognized outside CAS!)

viz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by viz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:40 pm

The IAA will not accept the UK ELP assessments either. So be careful, you could be wasting your time and money ...! :(

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Viz:
As long as you were assessed by a recognized examiner i would not lose any sleep over it!

I now have my ELP, assessed by a NON-IRISH, EASA State to level 6.

The choice is for the IAA to accept it or not, i am not in the slightest bit concerned regardless.
I shall continue using my priveleges to which i am qualified.

If by chance the IAA wish to challenge this, all the better. As that will provide AOPA an opportunity to challenge their regulations on the assessment and, approvals that they accept and those they dont!

I am presently compiling a report on this issue for the AOPA February newsletter which now goes out to 600+ members. This will provide an overall view as regards the situation in other states.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Jim wrote:(ELP is an icao/easa reg. but microlights are not recognized outside CAS!)
We are a special breed Jim... :wink:
Flew a plane yesterday, 140 knots straight & level at its ease, climb rate 2000 + fpm with 2 up, superb STOL, all this on a 80hp rotax burning 12 litres mogas per hour..... and its a microlight !

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:08 am

jonkil wrote: We are a special breed Jim... :wink:
Flew a plane yesterday, 140 knots straight & level at its ease, climb rate 2000 + fpm with 2 up, superb STOL, all this on a 80hp rotax burning 12 litres mogas per hour..... and its a microlight !
Special breed indeed Jon, and one with so much variation!

I do own a ML myself too, but it has not flown for about 8 Yrs. I am more used to the heavier old Ladies of the air.
May get around to showing it the "Bimble" area some day!

Figle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Figle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi all

Did my ELP in Weston yesterday with Robbie Garland was good fun nothing to be scared of :D dont know what everyone is getting so stressed about.

Figle

P.s I passed just in case you were worried 8)

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Figle wrote:Hi all
Did my ELP in Weston yesterday with Robbie Garland was good fun nothing to be scared of :D dont know what everyone is getting so stressed about.

Figle

P.s I passed just in case you were worried
Good man, well done.
Have mine from the country that invented the English language.... that will do nicely !!

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:57 pm

jonkil wrote: Have mine from the country that invented the English language.... that will do nicely !!
Really Jon! which one :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#History" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, we know what you mean!

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Figle wrote:Hi all

I don't think anyone is stressed about that exam. None of us should have any problem getting level 6.

What people don't like is being asked to pay €40 to prove that they can speak English, and have to do it in the 2 & 1/2 months that the IAA gave us to do it, when we should have had three years to orgainise it (but the IAA were too slow off the mark).

P

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Jim wrote:
jonkil wrote: Have mine from the country that invented the English language.... that will do nicely !!
Really Jon! which one :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#History" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, we know what you mean!
LOL Jim, bloody typical of the English, Paddy does everything for em !!!