English Language Proficiency

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Re: English Language Proficiency

Post by Raven 912 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:23 am

What a load of cr*p. ELP is an ICAO requirement and as such it should be recognised Worldwide. It might be worth checking this one with ICAO. Who in the IAA told you they won't accept it.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:32 pm

When I asked (before they had their own proeedures) if I could have my ELP tested by a ELP examiner from the Netherlands I was told no...it must be someone appointed by the IAA, even though they had noone appointed at that stage.

I don't know their name....it was at the public counter, and once on the phone.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:50 pm

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... oficiency/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:05 pm

viz wrote:I am very annoyed, I have just been assessed and passed the UK RT exam and ELP to level 6.
The IAA say they do not accept the CAA level ELP assessment and i will have to do it under the IAA system or be grounded come March.

Come on!They do not accept the UK assessment of the English language. what a joke!
Image Image Image
O my God, nearly rolled off the seat laughing, then you wonder why they are avoided like the plague !
Last edited by jonkil on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:42 pm

In ref to Hums FAA link, if you hold a piggy back PPL from the FAA, you actually have to go through entire verification process to have English proficiency added to your FAA ticket. New form to Oklahoma; email from IAA to confirm and a personal visit to FSDO to complete paper work and get new licence.

Interestingly the terminology used on the licence is "English Proficient". There is no mention of level. Basically as far as the FAA seem to be concerned is - you speak english or you don't. Nice and simple.

By the way the IAA have informed me that when I do the ELP test they will be replacing my entire licence (White JAA one) with a new smaller one with a black cover!!! Anyone know why? What happens to all the certificates which are designed to fit in the white one? Medical, Cert of Experience for A and M ratings etc etc.
Shrtfld

xair899
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by xair899 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:39 pm

The new small black licence also doesn't have a photo, which seems a backward step in these security concious times.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 am

xair899 wrote:The new small black licence also doesn't have a photo, which seems a backward step in these security concious times.
Nick, It also states within it that you must carry appropriate photographic ID to prove your identity.
Anyone fancy approving a mod for a tow-bar for a plane so we can carry all the paperwork needed :!:

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Fanstop » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:01 am

in my licence (black one JAA) it says that i have RT approval in ENGLISH. why do i now have to do a stupid test to say i speak english when i have done all my exams and tests in that language? this is daft. what happens if we grow up and ignore the stupid test and if necessary tell it to the judge.
i would love to know what the French GA community are doing.
by the way shortfield the new lience just replicates all of the previous paperwork and so small its hard to read and sign.....................brillient, with no photo.
any noise from AOPA?

GoGoGadgetAbortLanding
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetAbortLanding » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Same cost as the white book (In fact, cost's will continue to rise) and the IAA produce a smaller Licence for the pilot and paint it black. Thus reducing the IAA's carbon footprint !
The English Language Proficency is just another stepping stone so the IAA and other's alike can generate more revenue from pilot's stupidty. Its the same thing as the carbon tax crap that we are supposed to buy into ! Once again, The lay community are been shafted.....

In my view, the traditional VHF R/T cert was proficient to prove one could communicate through the english language at ICAO level.

And the fact the IAA dont allow the use of the CAA ELP Just shows the whole thing is a farce and a sham !
Rant over

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:41 pm

This ELP busniess is really starting to frustrate me.....
Surely AOPA or someone could do something about this........

In my opinion its a complete waste of time, money, energy and effort.
Anyone that has spent they're whole life in an english speaking country should definately not have to sit this f**kin exam, They even say it's not testing VHF operation procedures...

I'd like to know how much revenue the Institute Against Aviation are making on this scam. If for example we take 5000 pilots that need to take this exam thats an astonishing €200,000......
Anyone know the forcasted amount of pilots who will have to sit this exam????????
Jeez this just frustrates the sh*t out me.......
Regards,
M747
:D

hum
Verified User
Verified User

English Language Proficiency for light GA

Post by hum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:59 pm

I'm sure most will agree this is EURO-bureaucracy to the N'th degree (why, for example, have 2 levels - competent or no, when you can have 6 and make careers for administrators all over europe for years to come). It is yet another downside for private light GA resulting from the 'one size fits all' EU approach to aviation administration. However, look on the bright side... it's easy for us native english speakers and it only costs eu40 if you cannot get it done as part of an LPC or similar.....

Put yourself in the position of the unfortunate non-english speakers all over JAA-land who don't want to fly an airliner and just want to fly their small light aircraft locally like they always did... I'll bet they are not happy... :roll:

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Lorraine at the IAA mentioned they had ten thousand pilots to administer for the ELP including about 2,500 for RYAN AIR with many more for Aer Lingus.
Shrtfld

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:09 am

shrtfld wrote:Lorraine at the IAA mentioned they had ten thousand pilots to administer for the ELP including about 2,500 for RYAN AIR with many more for Aer Lingus.
10,000 x €40 = €400,000
Nice little earner telling folk what they already know !

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:44 pm

viz wrote:I am very annoyed, I have just been assessed and passed the UK RT exam and ELP to level 6.
The IAA say they do not accept the CAA level ELP assessment and i will have to do it under the IAA system or be grounded come March.

Come on!They do not accept the UK assessment of the English language. what a joke!
We would be very interested in knowing who informed you the above decision!

The ELP Assesment is an official ICAO qualification and the IAA have no authority to reject it.

I personally will be assessed next week in the ICAO/EASA Country where i done the initial asesment, if i am informed by the IAA that they wont accept it come March, thats tough!
I shall continue flying as normal and will gladly (with the backing of IAOPA) fight my corner regardless.

If anyone else is mis-informed by the IAA, please ask them their Name and position.

We are approaching the IAA with this issue, among others.
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 pm

shrtfld wrote:Lorraine at the IAA mentioned they had ten thousand pilots to administer for the ELP including about 2,500 for RYAN AIR with many more for Aer Lingus.
What a joke.... :roll:
Regards,
M747
:D