This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Rudy
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Night Flight around Boyle

Post by Rudy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Balkanhawk,
May I presume that you're not a GA pilot?
Rudy

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lorax » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Not wanting to give this any more oxygen, but do you not think that they would investigate an unidentified trace as a matter of course; I have told you what the aircraft was and what it was doing. Yes, EIKN was closed but I understand that they intercepted the localizer a few times.

Balkanhawk
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Balkanhawk » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:45 pm

Correct and right, im not a GA pilot. Is there something I'm missing?

Prob wouldn't notice it on a primary radar if it even picks it up at that distance.

Rudy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Rudy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:55 am

Balkanhawk,
The concept of reporting a fellow pilot for doing something "illegal" would be foreign to most GA pilots. Even if this flight were "illegal" what harm is it? Flying at night attracts the same risk whether one is "legal" or "illegal" so there is no differing threat to public safety. This kind of small mindedness is akin to phoning the Gardai to report that the vehicle in front of you has a dirty numberplate! I'd be inclined to pull over myself and check that my own was fine if I were worried about such trivialities.
In my opinion it would be a pity to see the foreign value of "snitching" introduced into Irish aviation.
The high moral ground is a very lonesome place.
Rudy

Balkanhawk
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Balkanhawk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:58 pm

I see where I am being misunderstood. The night flying part doesn't bother me at all, although i do disagree with your point that flying at night, legal or illegal, is no more riskier. Plenty of evidence showing that night flying, especially basic GA aircraft, carries a higher degree of risk. Thats for another thread..

From my point of view, it seems extremely suspicious that a small aircraft was flying around at 4 in the morning near a closed airfield (just checked and Knock had a 200ft cloud base at the time) probably under primary radar coverage. I was thinking more along the lines of smuggling.......

Interesting to see the differing perceptions of the same situation.

PS
Not a fan of snitching either!!!

UH60L
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by UH60L » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Have to agree with Balkenhawk.
Anybody, in any field of life, is doing something illegal for one of 2 reasons:

1. Criminal activity, in which case the obligation on everybody is to report them or

2. They dont know what they are doing. In the field of aviation this is unacceptable and at the very least questions must be asked of the people who did it. If that gets nowhere then they need to be reported. This is not called snitching its called self policing and safety enforcement. commercial aviation, in general, is pretty good at it but GA are not. Unfortunately this gets the entire sector an undeserved reputation on the behalf of a few.

With regards to this flight VFR night flight can only take place in a control zone. A night flight can take place if IFR regulations are complied with as was stated here. However IFR approaches can only be active within protected airspace therefore as EIKN was closed this approach could not be considered as a legal approach.
Also if the weather above is correct it is well below the ALS out minima (because the airfield lights were off) and therefore even if the airport was open the approach could not legally continue beyond the FAF.

Either way, in my opinion the aircraft was either there illegally because they didnt know what they were doing (or flaunting the rules) or on illegal activity. while I would be more concerned about the later either is worthy of a report.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Boyle Witch hunt

Post by hum » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Love these internet forum witch-hunts :roll:
Attachments
witch.jpg
Burn her!!!
witch.jpg (1.93 KiB) Viewed 3796 times

GoGoGadgetAbortLanding
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetAbortLanding » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Interesting
Last edited by GoGoGadgetAbortLanding on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Big Jim » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:41 pm

This is getting quite confusing!
If we are to accept the most recent post on this, where does that leave lorex's previous two postings when he/she claimed responsibility for being in the air that night....
There was only one aircraft out there so which one was it?

Big Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Big Jim » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:34 pm

....and it gets better!

Two weeks to the day (last night) I was again awoken, this time at 1.20am by the sound of another low flying light aircraft heading over Boyle in a south west direction - this time on the flight path used by commercial traffic into EIKN. I witnessed the aircraft this time and it was travelling at speed and again sounded like a Cessna. I understand EIKN were not open last night.
It is coincidential it was the same night two weeks later.

MarBergi
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MarBergi » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Pure speculation - they appear to be calibrating the ILS at EIKN at the minute, the callsign Calibrator One has been on the Shannon frequency for a few days now. Could possibly explain the activity into EIKN (approaches etc).

Balkanhawk
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Balkanhawk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 pm

The calibrator aircraft is a kingair, twin turboprop. Totally different sound and size to the description. Plus the calibrator needs ATC to do its job. At least it was a bit earlier this week!

The plot thickens.........

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lorax » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Big Jim
It was not myself but a friend who did their night rateing that night, although on reading the posts it seems the airspace over boyle was very busy. How do we check what flightplans were filed at that time and location?

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi there,
Personally witnessed by me: illegal helicopter flights, ie, people being given flights at night for cash.Pilot a PPL, using a private helicopter.Aerobatics at night, in an unapproved aircraft, from an unlit aerodrome.Deliberate arrivals at same aerodrome(outside any zone) after end VFR, for unconfirmed but known-to-be-dubious reasons.
In the end, the IAA got them all, one way or the other.You're always on someone's radar.
regards
Stovepipe

JimC
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JimC » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Why is night VFR in uncontrolled airspace illegal in Ireland ?