Night Flight around Boyle

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Big Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Night Flight around Boyle

Post by Big Jim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:13 pm

I live in the general Boyle town area of Co. Roscommon. I was awoken on Tuesday morning around 4.30am by the sound of a light aircraft circling the town. My understanding would be that all airports in thsi area are closed at night, although it could have come from a private airstrip? Any thoughts??

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Night Flight around Boyle

Post by DonalMW » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:25 pm

The only "legal" explanation i'd arrive at would be Air Corps training excersise....

They still have the Remis Rockets yea ? ? (172's)

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 am

Nothing strange about light aircraft flying at night... Perfectly legal in Ireland - svfr in a control zone, IFR elsewhere.

:)

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:25 am

I thought all flights apart from Airline transport & related commercial stuff had to be conducted within control zones. The IAA make no provisions for night cross countries or ops outside control zones. (At least for light aircraft or so I thought)

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:43 am

There is no VFR allowed at night; thats why non-IFR flights are only allowed in control zones as SVFR. There is no reason why one cannot do a night cross country as long as complying with the Instrument Flight rules...

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:59 am

Not to nitpick...... But "Big Jim" stated that it was "Circling the town". Sounds to me like either Air corps or a pleasure flight. (Legal or illegal) Not cross-country (point to point). But actual information doesn't seem to be forthcoming...... Wanna fight about it Hum ? ? :lol:

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:38 am

Possibly the Garda Islander? Was there any crime in the vicinity lately? Does a gangster live nearby?

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:02 pm

vanman wrote:Possibly the Garda Islander? Was there any crime in the vicinity lately? Does a gangster live nearby?
I was thinking that too...although the Defender is twin turbine powered so wouldn't sound like a light GA. :)

Big Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Big Jim » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.

In my basic knowledge it definitely sounded like a single engine small light aircraft.

Indeed a similar type aircraft has been transversing the Boyle skies during daylight hours most days since Thursday - maybe the same one that was out at 4.30am??

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lorax » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:16 pm

172 Awaiting clearance to carry out an ILS and go around into EIKN before returning to EINN for completion of night rateing..No Mystery
Oh! and Holding at 5000ft can hardly be considered "circling the town!"

Balkanhawk
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Balkanhawk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 am

To the best of my knowledge connaught is deffo not open at 0430 in the morning. Can you do approaches to a closed airfield? Did the aircraft sound like it was at 5000 ft?

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:18 am

I'm pretty sure @ 5,000 ft a Cessna would be pretty quiet........ Almost silent even unless it was a particularly quiet night. (Wind)

Big Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Big Jim » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:56 am

Am I correct in stating that EIKN closes after Aer Arann RE227 arrives from Dublin unless there is a charter flight due in? - It does seem doubtful that it would open at 4.30am for a light aircraft night rateing.
I am well aware of the height and sound of commercial aircraft on apprach to EIKN as they go right over my house and I am over fifty years noteing light aircraft in this area. The one in question on the 21st was not at 5000ft but much lower and while I did not see it, I know by the engine noise that it was circling...
My own hunch is that this was a private aircraft flying illegally at night from a private airstrip.......

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:33 pm

That was my initial conclusion, but I was hoping for a genuine (legal) explanation. Taking off and particularly landing without RWY lights / aids etc must be challenging.......

Balkanhawk
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Balkanhawk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:03 am

May I suggest that you email the iaa as this was clearly unusual and in my opinion illegal. lowflyingaircraft@iaa.ie is the email I would use. They can check the radar tapes for that area and time.

PM me if you want any help.