Brace Positions

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

fly4life
Unverified User
Unverified User

Brace Positions

Post by fly4life » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:04 pm

What is the best brace position for pax in a 4 seat aircraft ie c172 and piper cherokee aircraft.
Especially those seated in the rear of the aircraft,and if the rear or front seat pax are childern.
I cant find any information in the POH except it mentions using coats to protect the face but does not give any information on positions to adopt.

regards
fly4life
First time caller long time listener

bumitch
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Brace Positions

Post by bumitch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Don't have an answer, but agree that the approach you referenced, and as promulgated by many flight schools, does not seem too hot. At best the passenger in the front seat will get a headful of yolk in any head down position, or possibly a faceful of windscreen otherwise.

fly4life
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fly4life » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for the responseThe aircraft I hire now is a cessna 172.
This aircraft has a shoulder strap,same as a car, and not just a lap strap.
Most information I can find seems to give brace positions as for airlines with lap straps only.
In an airline your not going to push against the pilots chair or against the aircraft controls.
Which could interfere with proper control of the aircraft after initial touchdown or depending on impact forces
from the rear pax on the front seats and damaging same ,obstructing the exit of the aircraft.

regards
Fly4life

Dakota
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Dakota » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:19 am

I don't know about suitable brace positions for a C172. But just for info, the brace position for a forward facing seat in an airliner with a chest restraint is sitting straight with feet and knees together, hands, palms up placed under the thighs and head bowed forward (chin to chest). Again I'm not sure if this is adequate or suitable for light aircraft.
Maybe someone in Aer Arann might be able to help. As they are single pilot operation on the Islanders they may have a briefing for front seat pax.

fly4life
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fly4life » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks dakota,
that seems like a safe position as the passenger should not interfer with the controls on impact.
I have never heard that from any instructors but i think it is a sensible solution and i may use it in futher pax briefings.
Cheers