Michael O'Leary suggests removing co-pilots to save money

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

ma11achy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Michael O'Leary suggests removing co-pilots to save money

Post by ma11achy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:46 am

Ryanair's chief Michael O'Leary now suggests eliminating co-pilots as a way to save money. Will airliners be powered by drones, or is it actually viable to have just a single pilot in aircraft where a MCC environment has been the norm?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/09/06/ry ... Stories%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Michael O'Leary suggests removing co-pilots to save money

Post by lorax » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:38 pm

The first step would be to recertify the 737-800 as single crew..do you really think that will ever happen- this is just more of Mr O Leary grabbing a few headlines

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:40 pm

It'll eventually happen, alright (not in my lifetime though). Remote piloted UAV/UCAV technology has come a long,long way in recent years for military applications and that technology will slowly filter down the line to civilian applications.
I wouldn't worry in the short to medium term,however as MOL is once again using the media as his puppet.

ma11achy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ma11achy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:50 pm

Good insight to be honest, MOL is very likely just grabbing headline news for himself.

Here's a very interesting discussion (where I found this in the first place) about the matter in hand from a group of techies (non-flying forum) about their views on single crew passenger airliners.

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid ... 06/1716245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

lorax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lorax » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:06 pm

"Spare a thought for Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair'.......

Arriving in a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro please, Mr. O’Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland"

"That is remarkable value" Michael comments

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be 3 euro please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.

"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 euro. -

You could have pre-book the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro."

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please"

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in

he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4.00 for your seat sir"

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another 3 euro."

O'Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be 2 euro please."

O'Leary's face was red with rage.
"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary,"

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10 every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10 cent per second"

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for one Euro".