Support Erinagh Airfield

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Support Erinagh Airfield

Post by hugoj_air » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Well said Kitty, but I'm very saddened to hear that you have resigned as General Secretary AOPA Ireland as I'm sure the vast majority of people who read this are. I fully understand your family reasons, but any chance you could reconsider because Erinagh in particular and Irish aviation in general cannot afford to loose someone of your caliber and commitment.
As always happens in Ireland it's the naysayers and the begrudgers who hog the limelight and those people working away in the background are castigated as the bad guys.
If those shouting the odds about precived insults and putdowns, put in as much effort trying to help as they do into complaining, there probably would a massive change in attitude in this country. But sadly I have to live in the real Ireland and that is very unlikly to happen.
I am an Associated AOPA Ireland member and always will be. With everyones help it WILL be a major force in Irish aviation.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Kitty, sorry to hear that you are leaving...very sad, you have given so much to the cause and I admire you for all your effort. There will always be ignorance and idiots especially in Irish aviation...can't stand it "look at me...I'm a pilot " crap.
Thankfully I'm miles away from that, and enjoy the collective environment around which I fly and will do so for years to come. God bless America !
Keep the faith Kitty.

Happy Landings

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:52 pm

STATEMENT from AOPA Ireland

While it is with regret that we say goodbye to Kitty Cronin, her “Outburst” does NOT reflect either the opinions or feelings of AOPA Ireland.

From Kitty's Resignation.
“I Regret to say I have allowed an instance of personal anger to spill out into my professional standing and compromised the good name of AOPA Ireland! In my book this is an unacceptable level to stoop to and , henceforth must resign my position and involvement in AOPA. I have very much enjoyed working with the committee and members of AOPA Ireland and I must apologize unreservedly to everyone …..”

She did in fact, spend many, many hours of her own time (usually her sleep periods) doing a lot of administration work for AOPA Ireland. This will be sadly missed and will heighten the burden on others. It was her who contacted Mr. Hanly of Erinagh Airfield, also North Tipperary County Council, Nenagh Gardai and Nenagh Guardian.
Her input on this issue was well above average.

Miss Bernie Oakman has taken over temporarily, the AOPA secretarial work.

Jim
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:48 pm

I had no intention of any further comment, as this whole side show is detracting from the real issue here.

However due to recent events, just a few observations:

What a pity that the simple and valid question "Where is AOPA?" set in motion this chain of events.

What a pity a momentary onset of "red mist" prevented a straightforward answer being offered.

What a pity that a thread aimed at highlighting a real issue in Irish aviation has descended into some farcical melodrama unfolding before our eyes.

What a pity that a pilot enjoying all the freedoms of the most GA friendly nation on earth now feels the need to resort to throwing around insults from afar, like "ignorance and idiots" and "Irish attitude".
Reel it in, RV Blue. It is over the top and uncalled for. People are entitled to their opinions.

To Kitty, good luck in your future endeavours. Your resignation was neither suggested nor sought. I suspect your original response was borne more of frustration, than the flippancy with which it was delivered.

To Jim, a lesson from this sequence of events must be that the main failing of AOPA Ireland here has been in the area of PR. Appoint a spokesperson to respond informatively and rationally to any inquiries relating the AOPA's activities.

If AOPA is working on something, shout about it. Do not expect people to already know. AOPA should be seen in the front lines, manning the trenches. Get yourselves in the newspapers, or in the broadcast media. Be more public in your actions.

For today at least, there are no winners.

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:18 am

OMG!
Karl Marx.
“When I finish whinging I will become an Advisor!”

I see you as more a foe to Irish GA, some of your posts are not 100% are they? (for another thread!)

Your very much sidetracked post here, was absolute crap!
You criticized my reply with an “About Me” script on yourself! (Unconstructive)
You stated Erinagh was the issue but you yapped about your flying for the other entity! (Unconstructive)
Oversized headsets are I believe quite expensive, if the tape goes around it!
What have YOU done for Erinagh? (Constructive) Please tell!

And as for
What a pity that the simple and valid question "Where is AOPA?" set in motion this chain of events.
What about “Any AOPA outcome yet?” or “Has anyone informed AOPA ” or “any news from AOPA on this?” damn it! You could even email me direct on the website and just ask me outright, and received everything in writing. I did that for Members/Non-Members alike without prejudice!!

“Where is AOPA” was the real rational statement! AOPA have no magic wand!
Every issue must go through a process, legal or otherwise! Instant soothing is not an option! Sorry to disappoint you but, this is the real world!

And, about your advice for Jim, have you heard of “The Government critic who doesn’t vote!”

My work on Erinagh is outlined here by others, I pray it is used to its best advantage, and that it gains results! It is in good hands and I shall not be adding anything more to it.
Tonight I am getting some sleep, no more AOPA, no more Erinagh data to add, no more worry about what I should say. Tonight I still have no regrets, and tonight I am happy!
This thread is about Erinagh, lets regain and keep it that way and no more beefing about other issues.

To give advice you should take some, so here is some advice for you!
NOBODY! Gives tuppence what your employment status is.
Only give advice when prompted or asked for.
If you have a beef with AOPA, inform THEM!
Give us CONSTRUCTIVE material instead of baloney!
Never, expect others to do something you cant do personally!
Now lets see something constructive and help Erinagh yourself!
And, for Gods sake! stop the whinging!

Oh! and, Have a nice day! :D
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:47 am

Hugo,
I have reconsidered following the messages of support in today’s inbox.
However, my feelings remain unchanged in my decision and shall remain so.
Caliber and commitment do not exist where critics exist. OUCH! Poetry!

RV,
A cause is something I know about as I come from a string of Rebels, I guess it is showing now I am not silenced anymore. I intend to keep it up too!

I intend to remain a member of AOPA (If Allowed) :oops: and support them 110% in their effort. i shall have no further input otherwise.

Thank you both for your support!

Luv K
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 am

In an attempt to put this thread back on its flight path...

AOPA has been in contact with all parties concerned.

We are still awaiting the go ahead from our contacts on 2 measures.

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:01 am

Despite AOPA having gathered a large amount of information and material, contacting all parties etc. concerning this issue, we are in a stalemate position.
Due to an absence of response from concerned parties on the Erinagh Airfield issue, AOPA can not presently take this matter any further.

However, should those involved make contact with us in the future, we would again consider involvement.

Tim Hanly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tim Hanly » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Hello all,
As most of you will know I am the owner of Erinagh Airfield.It has been a tough couple of months dealing with a very hostile "action group" as they try to close my airfield and have my license revoked.At this stage the council have taken me and skydive ireland to the high court trying to shut down the airfield.
Erinagh as an airfield has existed sinse 2002.I would appreciate if all the pilots who visited Erinagh over the years could look up their logbooks and send me on the details of their visit.My email address is timhanly@hotmail.com All this information is important for keeping EIER open so that pilots can visit Nenagh well into the future.This high court case is also very important as it could put the future of many fine airstrips in jeopardy if they don't have planning.If anyone out there has useful information which may help our case please let me know.As soon as the high court judge makes his decision i will let everyone know the outcome.
Thanking you in advance,
Tim Hanly.
N707XJ

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:33 pm

We urge everyone who has either, taken off or landed at Erinagh since its birth to supply Tim with those dates. He needs them for the forthcoming weeks.

The High Court may make a “Landmark” decision which could lead to the closure of some airfields and restrictions being placed on others.
When the decision is made it can not be rescinded.
We emphasize that this is not “Scaremongering” this is fact!

Tim Hanly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tim Hanly » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:15 pm

"Maurice Leamy, chairman of the Capparoe residents protest group, said the University of Limerick club was contacted and was unaware of the enforcement notices in effect at Erinagh. Mr Leamy said his group presented the club with a submission from the Railway Safety Commission raising safety concerns over the suitability of Erinagh as a skydiving site. The Capparoe residents also made the university club aware of their campaign to have the airfield’s Irish Aviation Authority licence revoked.
Mr Leamy said last week’s incident demands more urgent action from North Tipperary Co Council, claiming the council’s enforcement procedure is being ignored. "

This is an extract from a local paper.Imagine the railway safety commission are now carrying out safety reports for the IAA and submitting them to the local council.Also maurice leamy and his group would like to think that they can get the IAA to revoke an airfield Licence because they don't like the owner.
As this story goes on the picture will become clearer.As soon as the high court makes it's decision i will make a press release and disclose what is going on behind the scenes."THE FIELD" will show up to be the underlying issue,the one I bought at the end of my runway.
N707XJ

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Not familiar with the issues involved in this airfield but in relation to airfields in general and planning, I thought that up until 1994 aerodromes were Exempted Developments. Even under current Planning & Development Act, it's not an airfield per se that requires planning permission. A hard runway is not exempted and does require planning but taxiways and other facilities associated with the operation of an airport (baggage handling, navigation aids etc etc) are exempted developments and don't require planning. That may not be much help of course since obviously an airfield is not much use without a runway.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:58 am

Everyone should take note of Tim's posts. Those of us involved closely with this are aware of truth behind the scenes. A very unpleasant campaign has been mounted by certain people which has little do with the actual operations of the airfield itself or the that of Skydive Ireland. Note there were no noise or other complaints until a planning application was filed, mostly initiated by a certain individual and his friends. Now the local council has been manipulated into High Court action.

In all of this Tim has maintained composure despite considerable pressure and more. The staff of Skydive Ireland has found itself in the firing line too including me personally. There is a story to be told which is not unlike the one Tim alluded to. I would like to see the truth of this come out and look forward to a positive result in the High Court.

So if anyone can help, please do so now. This is more than an issue for Erinagh and Tim. It could set a precedent for all airfields and GA pilots in this country.

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:37 pm

From our Legal Dept….. (Posted with the kind permission of Tim Hanly.)
“When an issue is brought before the HIGH Court, all underlying issues regarding the States legislation plus the rights of its citizens must be rigorously considered.
Some of these laws are 80-90+ Years old, but were never forced by authority, some, were left in “Limbo” as a gray area where Legislators failed to reach an agreement on an issue or part of it.
A separate part of the constitution of Ireland was written to protect the government by allowing a high court to rule in favour of either party on any case where a gray area existed. When this happens, the courts findings is written into law following the Judges decision. Hence, no more gray area.”

Now, to explain the situation in Erinagh.
The residents Action group has called on Mr. Hanly in an action through North Tipperary County Council to close his Airfield because of Planning Issues.

According to An Bord Pleanola, if you are an owner of a property providing a service or facility for 7 or more Years, no planning is required or needed, providing that upon the 7 Year stage there has been, no objections or complaints.

Mr. Hanly has been in existence as Erinagh Airfied since 2002 and, is one of only 14 privately licensed airfields within Ireland.
This is why he NEEDS records of anyone who made an approach or departure from Erinagh Airfield.
He has explained the situation to me personally and, the High Court appearance is approaching fast.

The final decision by the High Court has the capacity to close all private airstrips, some licensed ones too! The decision will become law! The outcome will be final!

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:55 pm

might be worth posting this thread on the bmaa forum website , uk pilots may have taken off or landed at erinagh and are unaware of the situation but are always eager to help in keeping airfields open.