Support Erinagh Airfield

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Support Erinagh Airfield

Post by hum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:11 am

Alan Kelly, Labour MEP for Ireland South has been wound up by a few locals and is on a mission to close Erinagh airfield.

I believe it would be a huge shame if the silent majority were not heard on this one. I find it sad that a licenced, well-run facility that has huge potential for jobs, tourism, and the economy in general, has become a political football. Perhaps I am being cynical, but I would say that a massive reaction against this campaign from the public, not just the GA community, would stop this misguided political campaign.

Please write, phone, or e-mail your views to:

Alan Kelly
No 1 Summerhill
Nenagh
Co Tipperary
Tel:
Office: 067 34190
Mobile: 086 6061101
Email:
office@alankelly.ie
Web: http://www.alankelly.ie/

Fanstop
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Support Erinagh Airfield

Post by Fanstop » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:48 pm

just called Alan Kelly's office to give my support. had a chat with a lady who assures me that he is not intent on closing the airfield.............. listening to all views etc etc (politician).........I pointed out to her that the local benefits outweigh the small additional noise which is not any more than a few extra tractors etc etc and many local communities would give a lot for such a facility. plus the government have no problem in 'investing' over €7m to build Clifden and Inishbofin (not yet finished) when they are getting similar for free near Nenagh.

keep the pressure on because if a few nimbys close erinagh who will be next?

all the best with it from Spanish Point

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Raven 912 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Hum

NMAI will draft up a letter and send it on to Alan Kelly.

All the best
Paul

skydiveireland
Verified User
Verified User

Post by skydiveireland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Aviators:

Your help and support is needed to keep Erinagh Airfield (EIER) open. Erinagh airfield is one of only 14 IAA Privately Licensed airfields in the country. It has a beautiful 600m x 18m grass runway and is very well maintained by the owner, Tim Hanly. The airfield has been in existence since early 2002 and has become very popular especially with the addition of Skydive Ireland who permanently located at the field in October 2006 and has taken thousands of people on skydiving adventures.

On the 16th of July 2010, Tim Hanly made a planning application to the North Tipperary planning office to retain existing grass runway, extend and tarmac up to 900m x 18m. To change the use of an farm shed to store aircraft and to build a Parachute School building to accommodate Skydive Ireland. This is a substantial level of commitment by Tim Hanly to this airfield and to the General Aviation community.

There is now a minority of individuals in the local area who are all of a sudden proclaiming to have concerns over flying and parachuting operations. It has turned into a political football with Local Councilors and now an MEP is involved. These people have even gone to the Department of Transport to try and shut down our airfield.

There is an enormous amount of scaremongering going on from these individuals in an attempt to gain support.However, the vast majority of the community surrounding the Airfield fully supports the airfield. There has been allegations widely spread that there is plans to turn this small private strip into an Airport with commercial aircraft with up to 24m wingspan and a whole host of erratic statements related to such nonsense.

These people have now come together to form an opposition committee and are trying desperately to round up as much objection with intent to submit to the planning office.

The local community has been very welcoming and supportive to the airfield since its founding. Many of the local people have enjoyed the experience of coming up in the planes and/or participating in skydiving. In 4 years of skydiving at the airfield there had never been a single complaint put to the local council by the very people who are now preparing to formally object.

We all know that airfields throughout the country provide for recreational benefits, tourism and contributes to the local economy from the benefits of tourism. We have visitors from overseas who fly their aircraft to Ireland all year round and visit airfields everywhere.

Over €2,000,000 EUR has been collected in the past 4 years with Skydive Ireland taking people to the air in aid of charity. There will be millions more fundraised in the future and all of this is now threatened if our airfield is shut down.

I would ask that you support Erinagh Airfield in any way you can or to email any ideas, share any experience you've had with dealing with such opposition or to even just give a word of encouragement by:

Ways To Help:

Facebook:
Please join the Airfield Appeal site:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 1467261906

Email - airfield@skydiveireland.ie
If you have ever flown to the airfield anytime since being founded in 2002 please write to us by email.

Political Influence:

Call the following political representatives and state your support and why Erinagh Airfield should be protected and supported.

Michael Lowry (TD) Tipperary North
Tel: 0504 22022 - Email: michael.lowry@oireachtas.ie

Mairé Hoctor (TD) Tipperary North
Tel: (067) 32943 - Email: maire.hoctor@oireachtas.ie

Noel Coonan (TD) Tipperary North
Tel: 0504 32544 - Email: noelcoonan@eircom.net

Alan Kelly - MEP

North Tipperary County Council:
Full list available: http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/council/yo ... l_you.html

Stay posted to the Erinagh Facebook page for full details and progress.

Blue Skies.

David Byrnes
Skydive Ireland

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Full support from Letterkenny Flying Club.
Will touch base with all members and act on your recommendations.
Good luck fellas.

Jon

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:01 pm

skydiveireland wrote:Aviators:

There is an enormous amount of scaremongering going on from these individuals in an attempt to gain support.However, the vast majority of the community surrounding the Airfield fully supports the airfield. There has been allegations widely spread that there is plans to turn this small private strip into an Airport with commercial aircraft with up to 24m wingspan and a whole host of erratic statements related to such nonsense.

David Byrnes
Skydive Ireland
Unfortunately this happens all over the world, all it takes is one person to start the scaremongering, touting ,that before long there will be Airbus 380's landing in our back garden. Usually the benefits to the community win out in the end....money talks but none the less its scary........best of luck !

Joe McDermott
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Joe McDermott » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:56 pm

On behalf of Flying in Ireland, I have been making contact with local TD/MEP/CC's throughout today asking that the airfield operators be given a fair hearing & I believe that many will do just that. Most, if not all are unfamiliar with the airfield, the club, the very low level of activity, the relative remoteness of the field & the charity conponent.

It maybe that the public representitives will welcome the opportunity to see the airfield operations at first hand before making their minds up one way or another. Some members of the local community might also avail of such an offer.

Joe McDermott
GA Editor,
FII

captain slow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by captain slow » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Best of luck to erinagh and all the guys and girls there. Great spot and as hum said its a pleasure to visit a really well run friendly and safe airfield. As the IAA have fully licenced this airfield as being safe etc on what grounds are the objectors objecting?

I will have a busy day on monday making some phone calls !

To everyone here who reads this make a couple of quick phonecalls to the politicians named above and say that you support the airfield, thats its fully licenced and safe and that you are suprised that a serving politicain would be anti-jobs,anti tourism,anti aviation growth.

This need to be a decisive victory so this nonsense doesnt start again.

captain slow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by captain slow » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:21 pm

I hope Aopa ireland are all over this. Now it is time to see what they are made of. If this was the states Aopa USA would have a finely tuned,highly effective response aimed at the decision makers and PR aimed at the local press- I hope the same happens here.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:19 am

all it takes is one person to start the scaremongering,
That is precisely the problem. Someone with an agenda. Believe me there is an agenda. Most people in the area including the council think it's a good thing. But there's always the one person with an agenda prepared to scare people for their own reasons.
Erinagh has the potential to be one of the best GA airfields in the Mid West and an asset to North Tipperary and Limerick. It has the potential to be one of the best airfields in the area. We in the GA community have to draw the line somewhere and this is it.

Remember there were no objections at all until recently. Yet suddenly there were many even though nothing had changed. Coincidence? You decide.

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:46 am

captain slow wrote:I hope Aopa ireland are all over this. Now it is time to see what they are made of. If this was the states Aopa USA would have a finely tuned,highly effective response aimed at the decision makers and PR aimed at the local press- I hope the same happens here.
Of course we are on top of it!
The situation is under more than review.
We were informed by a member of ours on the 9th, i informed Jim on 10th and he IMMEDIATELY requested a meeting with MEP Mr. Alan Kelly among others, to sort out the situation.
Mr Alan Kellys office stated:
Dear Kitty,

Thank you for your email. Alan is currently out of the office but your comments and request for a meeting will be brought to his attention upon his return.

Kind regards,
Tracey
We needless to say, have brought this issue to other departments as well as other public representatives,
We are committed to act on our members concerns, whatever it takes!
We shall oppose ANY proposition to decline our members rights, regardless of position or cost.
Please do not doubt us without having a genuine reason to do so!

Kindest Regards,
Kitty.
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

Tolka
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Tolka » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Economic reasons for supporting an airfield generally carry more weight with local and national politicians than the emotional type arguments which nimbys often tend to use. However they must be based on fact and must be accurate. Conjecture and assumptions are too easily undermined.

Does Erinagh give paid employment to anyone either directly by the airfield itself of through associated businesses, such as maintenence companies or flight training. If so, the numbers employed should be given to the politicians. Does the airfield or the associated businesses pay rates to the local Council. If so, the amounts should be quantified and passed on to the politicians. Have search and rescue helicopters ever used Erinagh for refuelling? Has Erinagh ever been used by medivac helicopters to bring patients to or take them from Nenagh hospital? Facts such as these are the best way to counteract nimbys who are often totally unaware of the benefits which an airfield can bring to the local community.

I don't know the answers to the above questions but I think that some of the people behind Erinagh might be able to get the information and use it to their benefit.

Tolka

Jim
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:50 am

As kitty has said, we are looking into this.
Apparently, A local has objected to their proposed extension and surfacing to the runway.

I personally, see Mr. Alan Kellys alleged intervention in this matter as rather feeble!

Mr. Kelly, although an MEP for Ireland South, does not have any authority within An Bord Pleanola, Neither can he Revoke, Block, Resind or prevent an Airfield Licence!

If he could and, attempted to do so, the feeling is that the amount of Votes lost would outweigh the amount won!
Defending the rights of GA in Ireland.
http://www.aopa.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Phone call made, contact details left, and case made.

I also plan to contact Eamon Gilmore's office to find out if Labour come into power in the next election, do we have to worry about other airfields, and other sports facilities?

Perhaps my local labour TD too, to ask the same question.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Emails now sent to both Eamon Gilmore, and my local Labour TD asking for them to raise the issue with Alan Kelly.