Microlight Familiarisation Day

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Microlight Familiarisation Day

Post by Raven 912 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 am

On the 29th of August the NMAI will host a Microlight Familiarisation Day at Limetree Airfield in Co Laois. This day came about when we realised that there is a lack of understanding of Microlights not only by the regulators but also by most of the GA community, ATC and so on. The goal of this day is to introduce Microlighting to everyone interested in an informal manner.

The people invited to attend include IAA, BMAA, CAA, ATC, Aer Corps, Christoph Mueller, Michael O Leary, AOPA, NACI, ILAS, amongst others. The day will start at 1.30 and will include a BBQ in the evening. What we need now are Microlights of all different types, sizes and age. We would now like to invite Microlight pilots to fly in for the day. We are aware that most will be flying on foreign licences and we have agreed with the IAA to validate these pilots free of charge.

With the Licencing negotiations coming to a close the IAA have agreed to use this event as a trial and have supplied the form which you can download from the Public Section of the NMAI Forum. It will be free so long as you submit through the NMAI. The form is an unfinished version of the agreed form and, due to time constraints, has not yet got the agreed changes incorporated. However, the IAA are happy for us to use it in it's current format.

Because we are running out of time for this one it will be necessary to download the form. Scan it along with any required documentation and e-mail it to either Padraig Higgins alfromaviation@eircom.net or Paul Mc Mahon at gmmta@yahoo.co.uk. We believe snail mail will be too slow for this one.

The form is in 4 parts. Declaration, Licence Validation, Permit Validation and Payment. You can ignore the payment section for this one and the permit validation if your aircraft already has one. Class 2 medical and RT licence are no longer required for the 90 day validation.

This event is open to everyone but be sure you have the correct documentation with you on the day and be advised that the strip is 450 meters. It would be embarrasing if you found you couldn't get back out with such illustrious company watching.

Our thanks to Gerry Deegan and the Laois Flying Club for once again making the venue available and for all their help in the organisation of the day.

If you wish to attend, you will need to move fairly quickly to get your validation on time.

We hope to see you there

All the best
Paul

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Microlight Familiarisation Day

Post by bean_ian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 am

I'll see you there Paul, paperwork onboard!!
X'Air 582(5)

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 am

For all the UK Visiting Pilots and those flying on a UK NPPL(M) there is a validation for 90 days available to everyone.
The validation form is available HEREImage for you to download and apply for the 90 day exemption.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi there,
Christoph Mueller is well known for his appreciation of all flying machines so would probably be there if his schedule allowed.MoL is equally well known for his hatred of pilots, so is unlikely to attend, but I would pay good money to any charity you care to name if you could persuade him to fly in a weight-shift or a small three-axis.Congratulations on a very good idea, however.
regards
Stovepipe

Kevlar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Kevlar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Paul,

Great work, looks like your making in-roads at last eh?

Well done, Kev.
Regards, Kevlar

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:19 pm

hi paul, ive just zipped my paperwork off to ya , your gonna make a lot of microlight pilots happy ! ps if mr o leary wants to come for a spin in an x air , hes only allowed 5 kg baggage...tough :twisted:

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Raven 912 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 am

The validations have started coming in. Some are scanned as jpeg and as such the computer cant process them.
We would be grateful if you could please scan them as PDF

Thanks

All the best
Paul

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:07 am

Hi Paul,
AOPA is supporting this great idea.
Jim is personally attending your event to show solidarity within the aviation world.
I shall be unavailable to attend as my rota takes me overseas but have been given permission to help in any form (Perhaps converting jpg, jpeg etc to adobe PDF for anyone who needs it, and knows not how, FOC of course!)
We wish you a great day and the finest of weather.

Conversions of documents should be sent to secretary@aopaireland.com , they will be emailed back within 24hrs!

Kitty.
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:12 am

quick question Paul, Can multiple pilots be validated on the one aircraft? I assume this requires two separate application forms?
X'Air 582(5)

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Raven 912 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:21 am

hi Ian.
These are 2 separate issues. You only require 1 validation for your aircraft permit. You don't get validated to fly a particular aircraft. If your licence is validated then you can fly any aircraft which has either had its permit validated or is on the Irish reg.

All the best
Paul

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Raven 912 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 am

Under Aeronautical Notice A19 homebuilt aircraft do not require validation

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Paul,
I was completely unaware that home builds were exempt from validation.
Cheers for that
Ian
X'Air 582(5)

first officer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by first officer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:20 am

Hi, paul
Have just got my (M) put onto my JAR PPL (A) licence. Have an EX-AIR that can be there but did my (m) training on a eurostar, do you think any of the IAA lads might fly with me for a trial flight... Sure they make the rules!!!! ????

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Raven 912 wrote:Under Aeronautical Notice A19 homebuilt aircraft do not require validation
Excellent news.
My new steed falls into that category.... and I presume the C42 I owned also did. Makes life easy, don't it?

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:03 pm

so a uk reg homebuilt microlight with a current permt does not need permit validation from IAA . so permission to fly is only on the pilots licence and not on the homebuilt aircraft, is this correct or do i have it all wrong !