Moderator: mark

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Kilrush

Post by stovepipe » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:07 pm

Hi all
Bearcat
I think you're wrong about circuits at Kilrush.As a long-time user of Kilrush, I and my flying friends do not carry out circuits at anywhere near the scale of the Weston operation,i.e; doing a dozen-per-hour Weston-style circuits at Kilrush will soon bring the ire of the sensitive locals to Ian's ears.I have seen Weston pilots being sent off with a flea in their David Clarks for presuming that circuits at Kilrush are the same elsewhere. We take care not to wind up the neighbours because, as you are aware, Ian's work is too valuable to Irish GA to jeopardise by thoughtlessness. As an aside, I much prefer the atmosphere of Kilrush to Weston anyday.
regards
Stovepipe

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:27 pm

point taken....it's a great airfield you have.

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:27 pm

A couple of months ago I went on a navex to Kilrush in the trusty self fly hire R22. There was no one there, and no response on the radio (mid week morning). I did a couple of circuits and buggered off.
So what's SOP at Kilrush so I/anyone else doesn't upset anyone. I would have assumed circuits were the same as anywhere, since I didn't know any better, pooleys give a little guidance but not much.
It was my first trip there. Didn't feel any warmth in the DCs. Don't want to either.

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:59 pm

TU you need to go into the club house. There is a map on the wall detailing where the no go areas are and sign the sheet of paper stating you read and understand whats involved.

mikekilo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mikekilo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:55 pm

Bearcat,

During the winter/spring months, how does the runway typically hold up in terms of firmness etc... would love to call down over the xmas except I'm weary of grassfields during this time of year. Any insights would be appreciated.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:33 pm

Like Mikekilo i am interested in the condition of the strip in winter. Don't want to be coming to the hedge at the end of the runway doing 50kts. And how long is the Tarmac bit of the runway?

Flyer1,

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:02 am

the east west rwy is grass and well drained...the north / south rwy is partially tarmac and i would say the tarmac bit is only 250-300metres.....if you are going to visit kilrush go for a visit not a bunch of circuits as per the previous post. as far as i can remember the northern rwy is a tight right circuit and likewise the southerly rwy is a LH circuit.. the westerly rwy is a rh circuit....i stand to be corrected on the above as i dont have my notes to hand.

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:09 pm

East/West is the short all-grass runway [11-29]. It is generally firm throughout winter. Patterns are designed to be over the field so left-hand on 29 but right-hand on 11, but keep them tight, please.

North/South is the longer runway with the tarmac fillet [01-19]. It was frequently unusable in winter, but additional drainage and the fillet have fixed that particular problem. Patterns are overhead the field in either direction, i.e. left-hand on 19 but right-hand on 01.

The folks to the south of the 01 threshold are the most noise sensitive and particular care must be taken. When departing 19, hang a left as soon as it's safe and climb to height over the field. If you make a mess of it or forget, bear left and head for the GAA pitch to minimise grumbling. On your way in to 01 try to follow the road on base and final. Yes it's tight but it sets you up lovely for finals and if you're driving a Citation you should be up at Weston anyways!

Traffic frequency is 123.425, but some aircraft are non-radio. There is a winsock at the 19 threshold, so join overhead, have a gawk and then decide which runway you'ld like. Bear in mind yours may not be the majority decision, so keep a good look-out.

The official guidance is on a big board in the control tower and visitors should acquaint themselves with it before departure.

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:27 pm

...and I'm happy to report both runways were firm and usable on 31 December.