Never Flown to Weston Before
  • private_flyer
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Never Flown to Weston Before

by private_flyer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to Weston. I'll be arriving from the west. Do I go straight onto FIS118.5 or do I call Dublin Radar? I'm then routing up North so if departures were off 25 and I wanted to route over Dublin city centre and up the coast what will the procedure be if there is one? Is it possible to use the Lambay transit route?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as never flown in Irish airspace!
    Thanks in advance!
  • OnTheNumbers
    Verified User
    Verified User

Re: Never Flown to Weston Before

by OnTheNumbers » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:17 pm

You can use 118.5 > they'll give you a frequency for Dublin North if you need to talk to them but since, you're flying to EIWT 118.5 and then Weston on 122.4 for clearance into the zone should be fine. Having said that it might be no harm to use the relevant Radar frequency since anyone operating from Weston are normally asked to contact Dublin Radar on departure.

I've never gone north on the route you've mentioned but if 25 is active in Weston then 28 will probably be in use in Dublin and anecdotally I've heard that a Lambay transit will be a low level one if granted. ..... anyone else, feel free to chime in.

I'm sending you a PM.
    OnTheNumbers
    -------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.clearofcloud.ie
    @clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram
  • Pilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Pilot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm a little confused.

You said that you will be arriving from the West but want to route up the coast and over the city, and mention the Lambay route.

Do you mean that you are arriving from the east not west?
    Are you coming from the UK? If so where do you plan to cross the Irish Sea?

When I get it clear in my head what you are trying to do, I can add something more useful ;)

P
  • michael747
    Verified User
    Verified User

by michael747 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:08 pm

You can contact any Dublin Info Frequency on 118.50 or 129.175.
    Make sure and contact Weston on 122.40 no later than Enfield for joining instruction and zone entry approval and it'd be handy to be at 1500' on the local QNH - Weston ATIS: 118.875.
    All inbound traffic should be inbound at 1500' QNH to route just north of Maynooth then directly overhead.
    If 25 is active you'll usually be givin an overhead joining instruction for left downwind.

If you want to transit the Lambay route, You'll usually be given clearence not above 1500' - 1700' on a right downwind departure to Pigeon House Chimneys and call Dublin Tower while downwind on 118.60.
    Dont expect more than 500' QNH on the Lambay Transit Route itself, especially when busy......

I've often turned down the not above 500' on the QNH.....
    I'd much prefer to route out to Maynooth and up to Dunshaughlin, Duleek route at 1500'.....

Hope you find this info helpful
    Regards,
    M747
    :D
  • private_flyer
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by private_flyer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:27 am

Am hoping to fly down from the north, out west initially, and back through Weston and out to the coast and up north again.

So to get it right: I'll be arriving in, staying north of Maynooth and Kilcock and also left of N4. If 25 in use be told to go overhead (say at 1000'?) to take up left downwind. If 07 in use it'll be join left downwind straight in? Then to depart: if 25 in use, right turnout over reservoir, then right downwind for about 1500' and then turn to head over City Centre. Will be told to call 118.6 on the downwind where I'll request lambay zone transit. If 07 in use, right turn out and call 118.6? I'll deffo need a flight plan leaving as I'll be going cross border. Should I book in by phone or just file a plan for arrival? I'm coming from one of the Arann islands...

Thanks for all your help lads!
  • hibby
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hibby » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:28 pm

http://www.westonairport.com/flight.aspx

The above link gives details of the procedures for arriving and departing on both 07 and 25.

As Weston is in Class C airspace it would seem that a flight plan is required for your trip from the Aran Islands, and also it would seem prudent to file a plan since a portion of the flight is over water.