Strange Goings On

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Strange Goings On

Post by Raven 912 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:01 am

We have been contacted over the past 2 days by concerned members worried about the intentions of 2 individuals who arrived at private fields last Sunday 20th of June in a silver Nissan Micra.

These individuals, with strong english accents, invited themselves not only on to the fields (some were quite clearly marked 'Private Property') but also into the members hangars where they wrote extensive details of all the aircraft and took pictures without introducing themselves. Even after they were asked who they were they just said that they were plane spotters and left.

With the theft of microlight engines, especially Rotax 912 and 912S, and avionics on the increase in the UK over recent years, we would be grateful if anyone might be able to enlighten us as to who these individuals are. In 1 case they appeared to have prior knowledge of the resident aircraft.

They would appear to have covered quite an area of the midlands on Sunday so it would be comforting to the airfield and aircraft owners to know for certain that they were just innocent plane spotters.

Thanks for your help

All the best

Paul

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Strange Goings On

Post by DonalMW » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:31 am

From my limited experience with spotters (In Popham) they're always a friendly bunch. And I believe that they'd identify themselves at any time if needed. What happened here Paul looks very suspicious. And if it had happened @ any of my old local fields I'd have been more forceful and probably contacted the Guards. A licence plate would've been a great help. Further investigation by members from those private fields if possible would be a good idea.

fast oiseau
Verified User
Verified User

Post by fast oiseau » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:09 pm

The IAA have been out and about lately.Could it have been them?
Oiseau

Raven 912
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Raven 912 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Donal

My experience with spotters would be similar to yours. We do actually have the registration number of the car. I dont think they were IAA as the IAA will always identify themselves.

This could have been quite innocent but some things just dont seem to add up. We are certainly making no accusations. Sometimes we just need to be vigilant.

All the best
Paul

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi again. I think you have sufficient grounds to go to the guards and run the licence plate, if only for your own piece of mind (and other aircraft owners airfield operators etc) and the security of everyones equipment. I guess this incident will just serve to heighten awareness at private strips.

Regards, Donal

OSCAR BRAVO
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OSCAR BRAVO » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 pm

I would agree with Donal here,give the Guards a shout.they will do a quick Reg check on the car and it will soon be clear after that. Quote "invited themselves not only on to the fields (some were quite clearly marked 'Private Property') but also into the members hangars where they wrote extensive details of all the aircraft and took pictures without introducing themselves. Even after they were asked who they were they just said that they were plane spotters and left."-Suspicious and damm right cheeky.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:52 pm

spotters in my experience ask before entering a hangar, some carry some form of ID. if these are spotters then a shot across their bows by the law might make them aware that politeness pays.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 pm

Agreed. It's idiots like those two that give genuine spotters a bad name. It also makes aircraft and strip owners very weary of any strangers looking around. In my experience of over 40 years +, the vast majority of owners are happy to allow spotters access to their property when asked. Hopefully the Gardai will find them and have a word saying that their activities are causing annoyance. They have absolutely no excuse for not asking permission.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 am

Had a couple of visitors too at Letterkenny this weekend past, got the reg no and had it checked out. As it turned out it was OK but still good to know the name and address of the registered owners. Always prudent to have things like this on record in case its needed.

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

R

Post by JFH » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:46 am

j
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Figle
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Figle » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi all

Have to say i met these two guys that as everyone in a flap over at limetree last sunday they were 2 plane spotter over here on holidays who were working they way up from cork calling into small airfields. They were at the Saac flyin on saturday checking out the planes . I found them very friendly and nice guys and they stayed for over 2 Hours and they asked before they even stepped inside the hangers
Are Plane Spotter not welcome here in Ireland now???? Just Think People need to chill

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:20 pm

We sometimes get spotters dropping into Abbeyshrule amd glad togive the run of the place, they are always freiendly, courteous and respectful. Even known to drag a few planes for them, and help them through the scrap machines & idenitfiy some machines through back windows!

Think the issue here is that, not that they are not welcome, the impression given was that they could go when & where they want.

Courtesy will open many doors, spotters always welcome, but from 912's reports, I would have sent them packing also

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:56 am

Hi all,
I was at the Fly-In at ILAS Field last weekend and saw the two individuals, who were there for a long time and did their jottings and so on.They were easy to deal with, as opposed to some members of the public who felt that they could move propellors, walk their kids on wings, sit their kids into cockpits and even have meals off wings without bothering to ask first. One genius got shirty when asked to move aside to let an aircraft be started.As long as spotters ask first, I don't mind.I'm more worried about opportunistic theft from cockpits, such as of handheld radios or sunglasses or even mundane equipment such as fuel testers and maps (saw it happen. the community robbing from itself).
It's a pity to have to become extra-security conscious, especially on informal, relaxed airfields.
regards
Stovepipe

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Figle wrote:Hi all

Have to say i met these two guys that as everyone in a flap over at limetree last sunday they were 2 plane spotter over here on holidays who were working they way up from cork calling into small airfields. They were at the Saac flyin on saturday checking out the planes . I found them very friendly and nice guys and they stayed for over 2 Hours and they asked before they even stepped inside the hangers
Are Plane Spotter not welcome here in Ireland now???? Just Think People need to chill
Figle,
You got that totally wrong. Re-read ALL the posts again and you will see not one person even suggested that spotters were NOT welcome. In fact you are the only person to mention that in any post. You are giving the impression that it's OK to wander on to private property (strips or YOUR home) without permission, take notes and photos, then wander of again??
Spotters are welcome, but they have to abide by the unwritten rule plus the common courtesy of asking permission first and if possible saying thanks before they leave. Is that too much to ask, or do some people "believe" they have the "right" to enter freely. If there is no-one around or they ask and the answer is no (seldom happens) or if the signs say "Private Property-No Entry" then they should turn and walk away.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland