skywatch civil air patrol

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

skywatch civil air patrol

Post by hedgehopper »

hi all, can anyone tell me if there is an organisation here in ireland similar to skywatch civil air patrol in the uk ? if not there should be , they do good work and give aviation good press over there. www.skywatchcivilairpatrol.org.uk

Dave
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: skywatch civil air patrol

Post by Dave »

I always thought this would be a good idea in Ireland, especially if combined with a
charity air ambulance service. I don't know how many times I've burned holes in the
sky solo when i could have collected a cancer patient from the west of Ireland for treatment
in Dublin or whatever. They have mountain, cave rescue volunteers, etc, why not a CAP in
Ireland?

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Hi Hedgehopper,

I've had the same thought myself. Having read what they do and watched some of those Seaside Rescue programmes from the UK, I often thougt that light aircraft and esp. microlights could provide usefull eyes in the sky in many situations.

Is there anyone here with any sort of SAR (land/sea/air) background with any opinions??

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper »

i remember looking at the photos of last years flooding posted on this forum and thinking they would have been very useful to the emergency services, civil defence etc in pinpointing areas in need of help. it doesent take up too much of a pilots time in the course of normal flying so i cant see why we shouldnt have CAP here.
id imagine it would be up to the flying organisations here to have a chat together and approch skywatch to see whats involved. i see on there website there looking for units in ireland too.
any organisations like to take up the mantle ?

kitty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kitty »

OnTheNumbers wrote:
Is there anyone here with any sort of SAR (land/sea/air) background with any opinions??

David
I believe Jim has a lot of experience in SAR from both his Military background and his time with Atlantique.

But, he is presently unavailable to comment himself because of family illness.

Also, anyone with experience of "Traffic watch" etc would be an asset to something like that.

Kitty
Defending Irish GA, thats why i support AOPA Ireland