Moderator: mark

patrickc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Flying on an FAA/Canadian PPL in Ireland

Post by patrickc » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi,

I have a few quick questions about using foreign licenses in Ireland

• Is it legal to fly an Irish-registered aircraft under VFR in Ireland, using either an FAA or a Canadian PPL?
• Are there any flight schools/companies in Ireland that will rent single-engine prop planes to international license holders?
• If the answer to either of the above is "no", are the rules any different for FAA IFR pilots?

Thanks in advance for any help.

MHRCRO
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Flying on an FAA/Canadian PPL in Ireland

Post by MHRCRO » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:56 am

Hello Patrickc

You might like to refer to Topic 'FAA Licence' in this forum where most of the issues that might arise from your query are well ventilated

In summary

A PPL from any ICAO State, ISSUED UNDER ANNEX 1 OF ICAO may be used, without formality, in Ireland for Daylight VFR flight. (Art 10 Licensing Order)

With the FAA the difficulty comes that their Medicals may not be ICAO compliant - as they have to be for this automatic validation to kick in

I understand the FAA do not any longer pretend their Class III medical to be ICAO compliant : they want their CLass II to be - it probably hasn't been in the past -but this may now have been resolved by Irish acceptance of a difference filed by FAA in the Part II of the Annex 1 - if that has now been agreed

All these problems happen because FAA will not state on the face of the licences that they ARE ICAO compliant

I have happiest memories of Transport Canada and believe they state clearly the International Status of any licences they issue.

Maurice

patrickc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Flying on an FAA/Canadian PPL in Ireland

Post by patrickc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks Maurice! That was very helpful.