Enniskillen and GAR Form Questions

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

Enniskillen and GAR Form Questions

Post by ryr448l »

Hello again everyone, I was hoping to get some information and advice on the above subject. I'm based out of EIWT and think its about time to spread into international flying, if I can call it that :D .

I was hoping to fly to Enniskillen airport early next weather permitting of course.
I have read "pilot's" post in the U.K Flying Thread and found it very informative and just wondered has anything changed?

(1)As I understand flying from the Republic to Northern Ireland you have to fill in a GAR Form and fax the details to the Northern Ireland Police Force as stated on the form itself but is there anyone else I have to submit this GAR Form to?

(2)Upon leaving Enniskillen to return to EIWT is there any other forms that I have to fill out returning to the republic?

(3) How likely am I to asked for am estimate for the Scottish Fir Boundary? I would just like to be prepared.

(4) I will be filing a flight plan of course but will the Air ground service at Enniskillen be able to close my flight plan when I land or should I close it with the relevant ATSU before landing? Also when leaving Enniskillen and after filing my flight plan with the IAA do I need to do anything at all with the CAA. (Sorry if that sounds daft)

I apologise in advance if I have repeated myself at all with these questions but I'm on a learning curve here I must admit.
Thank you very much for your time as I really do appreciate it.

:wink:

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Enniskillen and GAR Form Questions

Post by Pilot »

Hi ryr448l,

1. You also need to fax the form to UK the National Customs Unit. For Ireland-UK flights, it goes two places. Special Branch (PSNI) and National Customs Unit. Both fax numbers are shown on the GAR.

2. Yes. Weston now require you to fill up a notification form for both your outbound flight and your inbound flight. They request 24 hours notice, but don't mind so much if it's less. The form should be faxed or emailed to both Weston airport and Revenue in Kildare. The form an fax/email details are on Weston's home page. http://www.westonairport.com

3. Given that Enniskillen is just across the border they might just ask you your estimate for Eniskillen. If you put the estimate in the remarks box of the flight plan, then you're even less likely to be asked. use the format EET forward slash <fir code> <hoursminutes after take off to crossing point> eg. if it will take you 35 minutes from take off to the border with the EGPX FIR then put on the form "EET/EGPX0035"

4. Possibly, possibly not. The UK don't really have a concept of closing a flight plan. Better to ask them to send an arrival message ;) I would either ring Shannon on your phone after landing, and tell them that you wish to close the plan, or before you leave Shannon FIS 127.50, ask them to close it for you. (As Enniskillen is so close to the FIR boundary, you're unlikely to have time to contact Scottish Info, and will go directly from Shannon to Enniskillen.

Looks like some nice weather for the weekend....still time to do the paper work and go Sunday :D

P

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ryr448l »

Thank you very much for the reply "Pilot", really great stuff there. :D I think I'll just close the flightplan with Shannon before hand like you said, sounds easier.
Aircraft is fully booked for Saturday and Sunday so I'll hopefully try Monday or Tuesday. :wink:

Thanks again, Really appreciate it.
Safe Flying.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot »

As Pilot says, in the UK you do not formally close a flight plan, and if you are talking with london or scotish info they will inform you that hey do not close your plan. ie don't waste talking time asking the question. the concept in uk is that a responsible person at the destination will raise an alarm if you fail to arrive. I don't know the procedure for enniskillen but i suspect that shannon cannot close your plan after you leave shannon fir. and you need the flight plan open for the border crossing. the responsible person in this case will be whoever is 'on duty' at enniskillen.
on your return flight, check at enniskillen if they open your flight plan when you take off of if you have to open the plan by radio and in this case who do you contact. I fly regularly between a farm strip in uk to waterford. on climb out from the strip i call london info to open the plan. after that i can either stay on that frequency or go to other enroute agencies. returning the plan is opened by atc at eiwf. prudence say talk to shannon and london infos but it is not a requirement for the border crossing.
An addendum to the customs formalities. Do the paperwork properly so customs on both sides have records of the flight and when you make your claim for duty free fuel it will get processed. the details of doing that are a different topic but i suspect the revenue in both countries are collecting more tax than entitled to because we aviators can't be bothered to make the claims. I counted up my claims received from uk customs last year and it was well over a 4 figure sum. mind you i did a lot of flying last year

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

ryr
shannon will usually ask you to call at the FIR boundary.
Invariably, you will not be able to raise them, as coverage is poor in the area, so after a few calls, you will switch to Enniskillen advising them where you are.

Ask the Tower at EGAB (usually Noel) to advise SNN of your arrival, and they will oblige, very friendly guys.

You will need to open a flight plan back to the Republic for two reasons, one, you are crossing an FIR boundary, a nd secondly, Enniskillen need it on file to confirm your flight was international and the duty free AvGas you have uplifted is valid.

You will need to submit GAR as outlined, but talk to them if you are regular, as they will work on a concession basis, at lest they used to

Enjoy Enniskillen, great place to visit, very friendly, good food, noce to walk around the hangars, no airs & graces, can;t speak highly enough of, and AvGas at £1.09 per litre, duty free

Cheer

Willo

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ryr448l »

Hi, thanks again to Cubpilot and Willo for the replies, very informative and helpful.
Thank you very much for your time. :D

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot »

once you take the plunge to cross the sea you will soon get into the habit of going abroad. think about working up to a run to mainland uk and after that to the channel islands. ( all english speakers so radio no problem) after that go even further. planes are built to travel so make the best out of them, the engine does not know if it is over land or water, take precautions but don't be too afraid to cross the sea.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Best of luck on your trip RYR! You'll have no worries.

Cubpilot has some good advice going to the UK "mainland!!" havent made the trip myself yet, but have made the prelims, and enquiries have always been met with positive reception in UK. Do your homework for your own ease, but the rule I've found with dealing with ATC/AIS/local airports etc is that they are willing to bend over backwards to oblige.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

Concur with cub pilot, Trips across to blighty are pretty straightforward.
Our first couple of times our planning was meticulous, probably too much so, but it is good to do that anyway for your first time. Couple of things I suggest;
1. Buy the 1:500,000 maps of the UK, the 1/4 mil ones are too cumbersome.
2. Dont do the UK trip believing I "must get home" at a certain time, from experience you can get stuck there with weather, for days maybe !
3. Arrange fuel in advance, usually not an issue if you are flying into airports/airfields with fuel, more so for us guys as we usually do the grass strips, and have PPR obtained too.
4. If you are doing a trip then don't organise it too much, fly and land where the day takes you, very enjoyable indeed. The UK has more controlled airspace, especially in the south, so MATS and controlled airspace will need to be negotiated. The UK has listening squaks in place too, make yourself aware of them.

We usually throw in a GAR to the UK now midweek and if the weather is good we go, if not then no problem, remember the IOM is a nice place to visit too, different GAR by the way.

Will be a lot of trips to the UK mainland this year and a few to Europe as there will be a big change among the NPPL holders not flying to the south at all this year with the debacle regarding licensing. If you are interested, or anyone else, there is quite a few trips to the UK happening where there may be spare seats, first in May to Popham and some to Scotland in May too plus Spamfield is on in the Isle of Wight around this time. The LAA rally in Sywell too as well as the usual trips to the Scottish Islands and the bike racing in the IOM in May and August. The Blois show in France in early September is on the cards as-well. The UK is a wonderful place to visit and we have made lifelong friends throughout it and visit them annually.

Go ahead and do it, its not that difficult a trip at all and is very enjoyable.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot »

an incentive for you to travel, the LAA struts are being encouraged to hold simple navigation competitions this summer in an effort to get people back to the basics of mapreading. they say open to all comers. first prize at each event is supposed to be a gps airspace aware unit.

WingCommander
Verified User
Verified User

Post by WingCommander »

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be gatecrashing this post but my query in similar!! I am planning to fly Kilrush to Letterkenny. Just wondering about passing through Scottish FIR and what documentation is required?? Also any advice from those who have done the trip before would be greatly appreciated!!

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

If you're not landing in the UK, then you don't need to worry about the GAR; all you need is a flight plan. ;)

WingCommander
Verified User
Verified User

Post by WingCommander »

Thanks Pilot, no plans to land. Thats provided that the aul prop keeps going!!!