Salhill Airshow 2010

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Salhill Airshow 2010

Post by vanman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Apparently it's back on. The local paper quoted Brian McGrath the organiser.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local- ... r-takeoff/
The Salthill Airshow is to make a return to the city this summer. The Galway Independent can exclusively reveal that plans are underway for a revival of the hugely popular air spectacle to coincide with the stopover of the Round Ireland Offshore Powerboat Race in the city this June.
It is understood that the airshow will take place on Bank Holiday Monday 7 June and that the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, The Red Arrows, may return to Galway following their performance at the Volvo Ocean Race stopover.
Speaking to the Galway Independent yesterday, Airshow organiser Brian McGrath confirmed that preparations were underway for the event's return, but said that further details would not be revealed until closer to the date.
"We may be doing something alright! Plans are going well at the moment so people definitely have something to look forward to. The teams love to come here because of the great welcome that they get. They don't get that same applause anywhere else; it seems to be a Galway phenomenon!"
The Salthill Airshow attracted up to 100,000 visitors a year to the city until it was cancelled in late 2007 due to funding issues.
Speculation began as to the future of the event earlier this year when Galway City Council set aside €25,000 in its annual budget for the Airshow in case it was re-established.

Will we be seeing the The Flying Cow at it HUM?

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Salhill Airshow 2010

Post by hum » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm free! ..... in the 'Are you being served?' sense :)

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Excellent news! 8)

OSCAR BRAVO
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OSCAR BRAVO » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:12 pm

i would love to see a 737-800 perform a display,perhaps EI-DCL of ryanair,wishful thinking i know.... :)

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:13 am

It'd be great if Vulcan XH558 could display 8)

Comet
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Comet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Punchestown Air Show on 6/7 June .......clashing?

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Clashing? Maybe, but the Salthill airshow is run by an established organiser now with real funding from an onside local council and with a long history of successful airshows, who has the right contacts and has more than an apsirational website. Remember the 'Mach 1' airshow?
Good luck to the organisers but if Paddy Power is taking bets. I know where my money will be.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:40 pm

I see the link to the Galway Indo has been attracting some online comments. Usual crap about supporting colonial ventures in Asia, blah blah blah

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local- ... r-takeoff/

I hadn't heard about the one in Punchestown until I saw this thread, but thy have a link at http://www.airshow.ie/
not much participation up yet, and I seem to remember one happening (or not as transpired) at this venue a few years ago.

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:09 pm

I dont know either of the organising parties, but i must say it sounds stupid as small as our country is that the two shows would compete! :( theres plenty of weekends in the summer.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Overseas acts are expensive to bring in - transit time is the biggest expense. For example, the ballpark cost of a display in a WW2 fighter is eu1000 not counting extras such as fuel, accom, transit time, landing, handling, hangarage etc... The cost to fly it to Ireland from a UK base and back would be around 5 times the cost of the display. Sharing the cost between displays over a weekend makes sense. Display pilots and owners of interesting display aircraft are not in it for the money :)

IrishAirPics
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by IrishAirPics » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi Guys,

The Salthill Air Show as we knew it is not back yet. I think the journalist got a bit carried away with themselves.

There will be a flying display in Salthill on Monday 7th but right now it is not planned to being a full blown air show. The flying display is being run as part of the power boat racing that is being held in Galway that weekend (it'll probably be something similar to the Volvo Ocean Race flying display).

As well as that, I can't see the issue with two shows being held on the same day, it has been done a few times in this country before with both air shows sharing acts and as hum said above it can help to split the cost of displays.

And seeing that the Punchestown show is being run over 2 days there's nothing stopping you going to Punchestown on Sunday and Salthill on the Monday. Once you make your way from Punchestown to the M4 / M6 after the air show there you have a clear road all the way to Galway. I don't know about any of you guys I'll be going to both air shows.

Regards,

Frank.

georgeconna
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Salhill Airshow 2010 - Reds cancelled.

Post by georgeconna » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:46 am

I see due to an injury to one of the Synchro pair in Greece the Reds wont be displaying at any displays until the 17th of June 2010 so that means Salthill and Punchestown won't have the headliners which is a pity.

Read it below.

Red Arrows confirm nine-ship formation for 2010 display season

Posted by Flightline UK on April 14, 2010 under Display Team News and Dates, Royal Air Force

The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team – the Red Arrows – today announces details of its revised 2010 display season, confirming the Team will fly as a nine-ship formation, but with a slightly delayed start to the season, following the incident that took place during pre-season training at HAF Kastelli in Crete on 23 March 2010.

Flight Lieutenant Mike Ling, Red 6 Synchro Leader, who successfully ejected from his aircraft, sustained injuries that mean he will be unable to fly with the Team for the 2010 display season. Flight Lieutenant Ling, in his third and final year with the Team, is in the UK undergoing treatment for his injuries. He is expected to make a full recovery and will play an active role on the ground during the 2010 display season, before he returns to operational flying in due course.

To enable the Team to enthral millions of people in the UK and around the world with its iconic nine aircraft display, former 2008 Synchro Leader, Flight Lieutenant Paul O’Grady (33), will return to fly in the position of Red 6 for the 2010 display season.

Flight Lieutenant O’Grady began his work-up as Synchro Leader on Monday 12 April at RAF Scampton. On Wednesday 14 April, he will be joined by Synchro 2, Red 7 Flight Lieutenant David Montenegro. Flight Lieutenant Montenegro was also involved in the Crete incident but managed to land his aircraft safely, sustaining no injuries.

The remainder of the Team has arrived at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus and recommenced pre-season training. They will be joined in Cyprus by the new Synchro Pair on 27 April. The Team will then train as a nine-ship formation again, as they begin to perfect the 2010 display sequence.

The entire Team will continue training together at RAF Akrotiri until mid-May, when it is proposed that they will return to RAF Scampton to continue training for around a further month.

Due to this extended period of training, it is anticipated that the Red Arrows will not be ready to gain their Public Display Authorisation (PDA) licence, allowing the Team to display at public events, before Wednesday 16 June 2010.

The delayed PDA date means that the Royal Air Force has had to take the decision to withdraw the Red Arrows from 10 planned displays at the following events scheduled for the beginning of the display season:

Southend – 30 and 31 May

Santa Pod – 31 May

Perth – 6 June

Salthill, Ireland – 7 Jun

Punchestown, Ireland – 7 Jun

Ramsey, Isle of Man – 8 Jun

Douglas, Isle of Man – 8 Jun

Worthing – 12 Jun

Cosford – 13 Jun
Read all about it on the site here.

http://www.airshows.org.uk/news/

Cheers

George

chrisi977
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by chrisi977 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:22 pm

hi
Is the airshow still on as the website say it isn't on but this says it is
Thanks
Chris

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Sat May 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi Chris,

The Punchestown Airshow is cancelled.

There was never an airshow planned for Salthill, but rather a display by the Red Arrows. They pulled out recently due to the accident in Greece.