This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Flying in Canada

Post by Sierra Papa »

Hi All,

I'm going to Canada soon for a few weeks and would like to do some flying over there.
Just want to enquire if anyone had any experience of aircraft rental and flying over there. I will be based north of Montreal. Hope they recognise Irish PPL. Any comment welcome.

Thanks SP

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Flying in Canada

Post by KeithT »

Hi, I was in canada myself on CAA FCL. You need to get a "Foreign Licence Validation Certificate" issued by Transport Canada. With this you get the full privileges of your home licence for one full year.

I would suggest you make contact with a Transport Canada office in Montreal before you head over and book an appointment with them. It's easy to get the Cert and it only costs something like 55 bucks and only takes and hour or so to sort, provided you have made the appointment etc.

Flying in Canada is amazing, aircraft are much cheaper to hire, every airfield or airport I flew into were incredibly friendly and the services provided by ATC, both Civil and Military were top notch.

God I miss the place :D

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa »

Thanks a lot Keith T, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Where did you rent your aircraft? I spoke to guys in Aeroclub du Monthreal, they seemed ok but maybe you know some other good place?

Regards SP

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Not a problem SP.

I rented from the school I was at in Moncton, a fair bit away from Montreal!

I don't know of any clubs in the Montreal area.