Nationwide RTE 1 - Monday Jan 4th

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nationwide RTE 1 - Monday Jan 4th

Post by mark »

On Mon 4th Jan 2010, Mary Kennedy from RTE Nationwide will present the evenings programme from Atlantic AirVenture Aviation Centre in Shannon.

The Aviation Centre is home to Irelands only Boeing 737-800 Flight Simulator and offers educational programmes to primary and post primary schools, groups and individuals who are interested and want to learn more about the subject.

The footage was filmed in late summer and was recently completed during an Aviation Career weekend at the centre in October. Featured in the programme are some of the centres clients and customers, ACE Summer Camp kids and their parents.

Interviews include some guest speakers from Air Atlanta Aero Engineering, Air Traffic Control in Shannon, University of Limerick Aeronautical Engineering Dept and Students from Ballygirreen HF Radio Centre during a training session at the centre.

Tune in after the 6pm news to get the full story!

-----------------------------------------------------------

More info at http://www.atlanticairventure.com

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Nationwide RTE 1 - Monday Jan 4th

Post by KeithT »

I'll have to race home from work on Monday to see this! Myself and Michael747 have been down to Atlanticairventure a couple of times and they were one the nicest bunch of people I've come across in aviation.

Highly recommended and look forward to seeing this show, although I usually steer clear of RTE :D

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Damn,

I'm not gonna be around to see it, Hopefully it'll be on the RTE Player so as i can watch it there....

Ya they're a really nice bunch of people down there,
Fantastic facilities, And the kettle was always on :D

Maybe a few of them sweet approaches we did will be on Nationwide Keith :lol: :lol:
Regards,
M747
:D

trimflyingclub
Verified User
Verified User

Post by trimflyingclub »

Very good programme from Shannon ! :D

TFC

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa »

Looking forward to seeing it on the RTEplayer tomorrow.
SP

RYR144
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by RYR144 »

It was very good. Congrats All.

Regards,
RYR144

OSCAR BRAVO
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OSCAR BRAVO »

It was a very good programme tonight.anyone know when the footage of Coonagh was filmed showing EI-CIZ,N172AM etc and the footage of EI-CTT in flight.

littlespitfire
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by littlespitfire »

Hi and thanks to all.
That footage was taken at Young Eagles Day June 2007, we flew 65 kids that day!
EI-CTT was a seperate piece I think, not from that occasion.

scraggane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by scraggane »

it's on the RTÉ player now. Here is the link. http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0104/nation ... 1,null,228

It was an excellent show and well done to Jane and Eddie for getting this going. It is an incredible achievement. Great to see so many Coonagh people featuring prominently in the show.

skylady
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by skylady »

Watched this myself... seems like the basics gone out the window... Landing sideways halfways down the runway is bad once, but twice! Tut tut...Good thing they dubbed it out with music, the screeching tyres would have been too much to bear.

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob »

Watched this myself... seems like the basics gone out the window... Landing sideways halfways down the runway is bad once, but twice! Tut tut...Good thing they dubbed it out with music, the screeching tyres would have been too much to bear.
It's a tight runway and your coming in over the trees when landing 10, so all and all not a greeser but got her down safely. Coonaghs short as well by the looks of it they were down in the first 15% rather than 50%.
Last edited by Bob on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum »

skylady wrote:... seems like the basics gone out the window...
Congrats on your very first post here....

Evidently you have more experience at posting on here than landing at Coonagh :twisted:

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld »

Welcome to Forum Skylady

A pity about your tongue in cheek first post.

I was a pilot taking part in that event. We had a stiff crosswind of some 12/14kts about 50 degress off from the right. So the Cessnas landing technique (right wheel touched first) was in fact perfect cross wind technique. Look at the Jabiru and rallye in the same clip

Taking all the prevailing factors of landing on Runway 10 in Coonagh in a cross wind, the landing was excellent and undeserving of your criticsm.

As it happens Coonaghs Runway 10 with a southeasterly or southerly wind is probably the best runway in the country to hone both shortfield and crosswind landing skills.

Incidentally initial touchdown was less than 20% of the way down the 416 metre runway which is only 9 metres wide.

Best regards
Shrtfld

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

shrtfld wrote: Incidentally initial touchdown was less than 20% of the way down the 416 metre runway which is only 9 metres wide.
Best regards
Crikey Shrtfld, I envy that sort of width, us mere mortals have to contend with 4.5 metres wide at Letterkenny !!... we call it a runway, others call it a footpath !.... but you are 100% correct, it hons your crosswind technique !

skylady
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by skylady »

I may

a) be a girl
b) It may be my first post here on this forum... and
c) maybe its only in textbooks where people land aircraft at the start of the RWY without bouncing and manage to keep them straight.

girls hey?

Skylady

8)