Weston Aerodrome Sold To US Biz Jet Co

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle » Sat May 15, 2004 2:18 am

Like I said earlier in this thread..... :

Doesn't the 'small' issue of planning permission have to be resolved ?
I thought that Mansfield was still in High Court precedings with Weston, Tassagart and of course CityWest, it was mentioned in the Independent last week.

Just cos there be bulldozing, don't mean its legal...

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Sat May 15, 2004 1:04 pm

Interesting post supposedly from PHA marketing. Anyone of course can post as anyone. It doesn't fit with my info.

mavman
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mavman » Mon May 17, 2004 12:11 am

RV,

I dont think the boys in Bal ATC will have any trouble dealing with any amount of jets coming and going, didnt seem to bother them during the mayday meetings and the many more since the presidency. The big obstacle will be trying to slot everything in, in accordance with ICAO rules.

RickL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by RickL » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:25 pm

Has anyone actually confirmed that Piedmont have bought Weston?

Because according to their website they don't own any airports outside of east to mid-east US and 1 in Canada. I find it sort of hard to believe that instead of expanding their base in the Western United States (which on it's own is probably a bigger aviation market than the whole of Europe) they would spend $50m on a what is still (even after the money Jim spent there) a sub-standard general aviation field in the middle of a very very unsupportive town. But that's just me, I'm not in the aircharter or airport owning business, mabye I'm nuts.

On another note the reason there are instrument approaches and such facilities in the US is because they are all government funded, that's why landing fees don't exist except in the big internat. airports and why everywhere (especially places like Florida) have radar, ILSs, VORs, la la la. The government here could be lobbied for a bit more investment in the air transport sector, but then again, they can't even split up Aer Rinta without almost causing a riot so I don't think Charlie will be coming out to Weston with a briefcase anytime soon.

dc3
Unverified User
Unverified User

weston

Post by dc3 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:43 pm

I do not believe Weston is actually sold, based on information I got from a source.

By the way the regarding "a bit more investment in the air transport sector" there is actually a vast amount of money being spent on air transport in Ireland, but mostly it is going on PSO payments to airlines, using most of the regional airports and in support of the regional airports also.

All a matter of choice.

RickL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by RickL » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:22 pm

Fair point DC.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:32 am

Flew up to Tetoboro Airport NJ yesterday, to pick up a part for our camera. To say the least I was in "heaven", we had hold for five minutes, in a hover south of the perimiter for inbound and outbound aircraft. I dont think I've ever seen so many, GIV's, Challangers, Citation 10's, Falcons, in one place. When we got clearance to Jet Aviation ramp, another five minutes untill they cleared a spot for us among the countless corporate aircraft moveing around. I think the "lads" at Baldonnal need a "day out" at a place like this and then see if they have anything to complain about. A corporate jet takes off or lands at Tetoboro every forty nine seconds, and is only about six miles north of Newark international Airport, Kennedy, and La Guardia just another few miles down the road......go figure....

RickL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by RickL » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:17 pm

Right On RV. The military need a war or something to smarten them up a bit.

Dublin Spotter
Unverified User
Unverified User

re: Sale of Weston

Post by Dublin Spotter » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:45 pm

Read in the paper over the weekend the US company offered ?50 million for a 51% stake in the sirport and this was reected. It was also stated that weston would be the airport of choice for all business Aviation during the ryder cup in 2006.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Weston

Post by shrtfld » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:20 pm

I have been merrily reading through this thread with a sense of dejevu about it. Well done Dublin Spotter - you bumped this to the top of the hit parade again. Guys and Gals - one very enthusiastic Ken Haslett is out there trying to set the ball rolling for the development of a "Son of AOPA". Let us be proactive and look to the real issues.

They are set out in a separate thread which I am initiating at this time.
Shrtfld