More nonsense at Weston

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

More nonsense at Weston

Post by Cosmic »

What is wrong with these Morons? Why are they given so much time in the Press and Courts?

Its Simple: You buy a house 100m from a runway threshold and under a flight path, of an airport that has been there for over half a century, because the houses were cheaper, you live with it!

Don't come whinging later trying to get the place closed down. It was there first and you bloody well knew it. You can't have your cake and eat it.

I do fear that some bleeding heart Politicians will see some easy votes and champion their cause. These People need to be slapped down, and slapped down hard once and for all.

From the Indo:

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ ... e_id=11718

Children 'in fear' of low-flying planes

RESIDENTS living near a small aerodrome were given leave by the High Court yesterday to serve notice on a flying school to prevent dangerous over-flights.

Ms Justice Mary Laffoy told Mr Brendan Kilty SC, for Combined Action on Weston Airport Ltd in Lucan, Co Dublin, that the court was giving leave for the organisation to serve notice of the proposed injunction on two defendants, National Flight Centre Ltd and head of training and aircraft owner Kieran O'Connor.

The residents' group is also seeking an injunction restraining the defendants from trespassing on their property at Weston Park, Hillcrest, Kew Park, Cooldrinagh, Cooneyboro.

In an affidavit, Hugh Collendar said the object was to take action to prevent aircraft from posing a danger to the life and property of over 4,000 residents.

Mr Collendar added that for some time individual residents had complained about dangerous flights as low as 100ft and 150ft, causing fear, upset and stress. The complaints had been met with platitudes.

Between 12.04pm and 2.01 pm on November 13, said Mr Collendar, 47 aircraft flew over Weston Park and Cooldrinagh at a height of approximately 150ft over houses.

He was personally aware of several instances where house and car alarms of residents were set off due to low-flying aircraft and children were "very frightened" of low-flying aircraft.

John Maddock

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat »

cosmic, i totally agree with you.....the big picture i suppose is that the residents are sh*tless of the potential growth of weston, especially when they see the size of the hangars going in, so they are using the flight school crutch to screw things up. Kieran , you have my full support.

dc3
Unverified User
Unverified User

Weston - fears and yet other lack of concern

Post by dc3 »

Amazing to be so concerned about landing aircraft crossing at low altitude.

Strange but they show little enough concern about

- the heavy, fast road traffic on the road, much of it well in excess of the speed limit. Not putting any children in fear.

- the Motorway behind them, with the noise and other amenity loss (which was, unlike Weston, built after some of the houses.

- the development of the Backweston site.

Will they be happy if Weston goes for apartments or housing - my word!

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

It is easy to feel the frustration you all feel with the opposition to the growth of Weston. I'm sure the owner has the contacts he needs to further his plans. As far as "aviators" are concerned anything is possible. Without any represintation, these people, and the owner, can and will do as they please. before long these people could have"situations" like "only two airplane landings per hour" in operation. Think about it......

Lionel Hutz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lionel Hutz »

It would appear at first sight that Weston is possessed of an easement. This being the right for Aircraft to take off and land at Weston by overflying the neighbouring properties.

The easement can be acquired in a number of ways.

One is by force of time. 50 Years use as an airport clearly qualifies

Another is that it can be conferred by statute.

It would also appear to be the case that Weston qualifies under statute.

The relevant statutes being the Air Navigation and transport Acts (there have been many and many amendments)
And the rules of the air given effect by S.I. 74 of 2004.

Section 3.

3. Minimum heights
(1) Except as permitted by the appropriate authority or as hereinafter provided aircraft
shall not be flown:
(a) over congested areas of cities, towns or settlements or over an assembly of
persons, at less than:
(i) a height of 450 metres (1,500 ft) above the ground or water, or
(ii) a height of 300 metres (1,000 ft) above the highest obstacle within a
radius of 600 metres from the aircraft, or
(iii) such other height as would permit, in the event of the failure of a power
unit, a safe forced landing to be made,
whichever height is the greatest.
(b) elsewhere:
(i) closer than 150 metres, (500 ft) to any person, vehicle, vessel or
structure, or
(ii) at a height less than 150 metres (500 ft) above the ground or water,

(c) over or in the immediate vicinity of any place within the State, where a large
number of persons is assembled in the open air in connection with any event of
public interest or entertainment, save when:
(i) such flights are made with the written consent of the Authority and of
the organisers, if any, of the event and are in accordance with any
conditions or limitations specified by the Authority, or
(ii) the aircraft is passing by in the normal course of navigation and flying at
a height in compliance with subparagraph (a) of this paragraph.

This is the relevant bit.

Paragraph (1)(b) of this Rule shall not apply to:
(a) an aircraft while it is landing or taking-off in accordance with normal aviation
practice at an aerodrome or heliport;
(b) an aircraft when it is in use for aerial application or aerial work with the
permission of the Authority and is operated in accordance with any conditions
or limitations specified with such a permission;
(c) a helicopter conducting training for life-saving operations or demonstrations of
such operations;
(d) a glider while it is hill soaring;
(e) an aircraft flying with the permission of the Authority for the purpose of
picking up or dropping tow ropes, banners or similar articles at an aerodrome.

Weston is an aerodrome of long standing it is also licensed.

You can not buy a house next to the sewerage works and then some time later complain about the smell

Caveat Emptor.

however that said courtrooms are a funny place where funny things can happen.

One possible defence is an attack on the legitimacy of the planning permission for the houses in question. I believe that a certain former TD made infamous by a tribunal had some involvement in planning in the area around Weston and it is quite possible that concerns about the proximity to the airport were overcome by means of a brown bag. It is albeit a remote possibility that the courts could rule the planning permission invalid on the grounds that they should never have been built because they are in an unsafe position and order the houses knocked.

This is indeed unlikley but not beyond the realm of possibility.

Weston and Kieran O'Connor despite your high prices you have my support on this one.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

I have just done a 13 hour day so I haven't got the energy to have another long rant, but I will add the following. I had to look it up Lionel, but an excellent, and articulate Post. I wish I had the skill.

ease?ment

1. The act of easing or the condition of being eased.
2. Something that affords ease or comfort.
3. Law. A right, such as a right of way, afforded a person make limited use of another's real property.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

C'mon how much noise can a C150 make or for that matter any other aircraft operating from Weston. And besides how can a single engine piston aircraft set off alarm's ? People :roll:

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Weston

Post by shrtfld »

Given that take off run is more crucial than the landing roll coupled with the extension to r/w 25, is there a case for displaced threshold for landing ensuring a slightly higher approach height over the houses?

That said Weston was there first. Unfortunately it is not the only place that will be under attack from developers in the coming years.
Shrtfld

Delta Romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Delta Romeo »

Ive heard some bullshit in my life but this has to be the worst! As a former user of Weston the main problem i had during the summer would be kids in the housing estate just to the left of the 25 threshold flying kite that came dangerously close to inboud a/c.
Action Figure Sold Seperatly

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Hmm did anyone see in the Sunday World today about 300ft flag poles being erected at the end of the runway. Wouldn't this cause more danger.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Anyone hear on the injunction, there was supposed to be a decision in the High Court today according to the Irish Times?????
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

XPIH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: More nonsense at Weston

Post by XPIH »

Cosmic wrote:...From the Indo:
... dangerous flights as low as 100ft and 150ft...

I'd be interested to see how they argue that the act of landing the aircraft, being an inherent part of all flights, is "dangerous" when carried out within the bounds of the various regulations.
...He was personally aware of several instances where house and car alarms of residents were set off due to low-flying aircraft and children were "very frightened" of low-flying aircraft.

Laughable! Any kid I know would be thrilled to see a plane at 100ft!
Cormac