EIKN Information

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

EIKN Information

Post by ryr448l »

Hello Everyone I'm relatively new to flying in this country and I am hoping to fly to EIKN possibly at the end of this week, Thursday or Friday looks to be getting better. :wink:

I was hoping to get other people's opinions on the route. I know this may sound silly to some but I'd like to get it right and not mess it up. I based out of Weston so I was thinking of routing to Mullingar, onto to Longford town, then Carrick on Shannon and then turning towards Ballaghaderreen and finally inwards to EIKN.
Does this sound ok? Would anybody do it any different?

I understand I have to file a flightplan and that should be alright, however do I need to arrange some sort of handling agent before hand?

I realise these may sound like basic questions but I really want to be as safe and right as possible. Is there any other info I should know about EIKN etc before I set off.

Thanks very much for your time. :D

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango »

If I were doing it then I'd draw a straight line from Kilcock to EIKN. There are still plenty of good landmarks along the way.

For example, the line passes:
-just north of Mullingar (Lough Owel),
-midway between Longford and Lough Ree,
-over the village of Tulsk.

From their I would be calling EIKN Tower for CTR entry instructions.

This route is on the CON VOR (117.4) 112 radial, so I would have that tuned too.

I've never flown to EIKN, but it's on the list. :D

Not sure about the handling agent. You would be giving them a call beforehand anyway though to let them know your intentions, so that would be a good time to ask.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Hi RYR,

You shouldnt need a handling agent, but give the tower a buz before you leave.

You will need a boarding pass, issued from the Information Desk, when leaving, and go thru the usual security.

Shannon will probably hand you over to Knock with about 20-25 miles to run. Knock often seem to ask to enter the zone at Ballyhaunis, which is south of the field, so prepare to deviate when you talk to them.

You will need a flight plan, woud have thought a direct routing would give you good landmarks, as was indicated earlier. Lough Ree is a great landmark, with Lanesboro to be seen at the end of it. You should pass north of it, near Longford TownAbbeysrhule may be active, and you w

The airfield is 665feet high,so beware of the big difference between QNH & QFE

Willo

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa »

Hi

I've flown that particular route four times and always went direct from Kilcock but if you are, as you said, relatively new to this country your route would be a very good choice.
Each time I went I was directed to Ballyhaunis first before being cleared for rejoin so you might be aware of that possibility. Appart from that there is nothing strange that I'm aware of.
It's a nice place for a cup of tea.

Regars. S.P.

StrikeCommand
Verified User
Verified User

Post by StrikeCommand »

There is no radar (primary or SSR) at Knock, so they can't identify you from your transponder or locate you using radar, therefore ATC depends on position reports. There is a stub at each end of the runway 09-27 going from 2500 ft upwards. Ballaghadereen is very close to one of those stubs, so if there is airline traffic on approach, ATC can be anxious if there is a light aircraft in that area, so be careful about how you report your position.
On landing there are 2 aprons - A is the main terminal where Ryanair, etc park for boarding etc.
B - is at the western end and is the location of the old Knock Cargo Handling hangar (aka more recently the "Shoreline" hangar). This is home to various GA aircraft. Avgas is available there - although there is a tank and metering system, it is usually dispensed from a small truck. Don't know how long you are going to stay but if you want to eat etc there is a good restaurant at the main terminal building (you need a lift from Apron B up to terminal though - not within walking distance).
If you are staying for more than a couple of hours, the procedure for getting back to your aircraft is not always well-defined, if at all. From experience, best approach is to go to Information Desk (not security office) in new Terminal extension and ask for a boarding card for a "private flight"-(this is the term they use and understand best). You will then be brought through the normal airline passenger screening (X-Ray of baggage, take off your belt, watch etc etc business). Then a member of airport staff brings you by minibus/van down to Apron B.
Hope that is of benefit.
Oh and by the way, just in case you think Knock Airport is next door to Knock (the Shrine, Basillica, etc) - its not! Knock village is about 10 miles away from the airport - Charlestown is nearer. But it is a great facility and the staff there are extremely helpful and good-natured (it is the West of Ireland afterall!).

ronnie3585
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ronnie3585 »

See page 2-8, AD 2.23 of the attached AIP;
Prior Permission Required for use of Ireland West Airport Knock must be obtained. Filing of a flight plan “does not” constitute prior permission. A Booking-In form or Booking-Out form as appropriate, is mandatory for use of the aerodrome. These are available from the Operations Office by:

Phone: + 353 94 936 81 00
Email: operations@irelandwestairport.com
URL: www.irelandwestairport.com
and when completed should be returned to:
Fax: + 353 94 936 72 32
Email: operations@irelandwestairport.com
http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Frame1.htm
Ow! My boating arm...

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ryr448l »

Thank you very much for the reply Whisky Tango,Willo,Sierra Papa,Strike Command and Ronnie 3585. I really do appreciate it and found it to highly informative. :wink:

I just have one final question, when coming out of EIKN what most likely would the route be. Am I likely to be routed out of the zone to the south through Ballyhaunis again?

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. I'll let you know how I get on. :lol:

captain slow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by captain slow »

Just to echo what ronnie 3585 said ,its good advice and he hit the nail on the head. File your plan,then ring knock ops. They will prob ask what time your thinking of arriving and departing and whether or not you will want fuel. If you want ask to speak to the tower and ask what is the most likely route and clearance you could expect.

Dont get too caught up on a particular route as that might change due weather or traffic or controller. Your exact route will depend on whether there is IFr traffic inbound or outbound at the time. If there is you will be told to route away from the extended centerlines of the runway in order to stay clear of this traffic. Have your map and most importantly the vfr arrival page from the aip or flight ready. You may be altitide restricted too but remember to maintain terrain clearance.

Finally dont accept any landing clearances from the tower if there is another plane on the runway.....no matter how insisitent the controller is!!!!

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat »

.............and the weather can sock in pretty fast there.....pick a fine day as low cloud can become overcast at 100 feet there in the blink of an eye

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta »

captain slow wrote: Finally dont accept any landing clearances from the tower if there is another plane on the runway.....no matter how insisitent the controller is!!!!
:lol:

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Last time I came out of Knock they were going to direct south to Ballyhaunis, but we requested north, and they said no problem.

Likely that they wont exit yu via the pan-handles, so will probably be south or north.

Enjoy the spin, its a nice airport, with a decent cup of coffee, and have made alot of efforts to attract GA

OSCAR BRAVO
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OSCAR BRAVO »

"Prior Permission Required for use of Ireland West Airport Knock must be obtained. Filing of a flight plan “does not” constitute prior permission. A Booking-In form or Booking-Out form as appropriate, is mandatory for use of the aerodrome"
Suppose i took off from sligo on a short flight to say,eg Westport and then back to sligo,however over westport i decide id like to pop into Knock for a cup of tea etc,would there be much hassle?

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

Geeezzz if I had to do that much work before I flew...I'd give it up...
Not to mention wearing one of thoes hidious yellow jackets......!! I'm lucky arn't I...??

captain slow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by captain slow »

Dont know ....are you?? :lol:

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

captain slow wrote:Dont know ....are you?? :lol:
Yes 8)