The airfields in all this bad weather......

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

The airfields in all this bad weather......

Post by stovepipe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi all,
How are the small airstrips of the country coping, in your area?
regards
Stovepipe

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:55 pm

Here in North central Donegal we have been very fortunate because we have ONLY had slightly above the average amount of rainfall. I know as you head S that amount increases. But even with our average rainfall most small grass strips would be unusable until the frost arrives.
Letterkenny had that problem for years, vertually no winter flying until they put in a tarmac strip. Narrow at 4m but at least flying can carry on regardless. The 6m parallel grass strip is also available for the drier weather.

Hugo.
http://www.irishavsites.com/ The historical listing of Aviation Sites in Ireland

dreamer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by dreamer1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:02 pm

hello to all,

weather was bad here in Cork, I am the only man to have officially swam out of the hangar. I kid not.

scraggane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by scraggane » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:23 pm

can anybody tell me how things are in Coonagh? It's below the level of the Shannon River and is only protected because of the high built-up banks. It has suffered from flooding in past years.

Currently the ESB are holding the Shanon waters back at Ardnacrusha, which is one of the reasons why the midlands is flooded and Limerick City is not. But if they are forced to discharge more than they are currently doing, I fear that Coonagh will be under water very quickly.

edit: I have to ask because I am currently in drought-stricken South Africa where the airstrips are plenty and dry!!

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:45 pm

This was Abbeyshrule last weekend, it's probably worse now.....picture taken by Mattie at Ultraflight (http://www.ultraflight.ie)

Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:03 pm

On the Letterkenny front, they had on their site a couple of weeks ago, that the field was closed until further notice but this seems to have gone

On the Abbeyshrule front, havent been down, but here the Inny has receded and the Tomahawk doesn t require a skiff to get to it!!!

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Maybe now's the time to be thinking of fitting floats, eh Brian? :P

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:36 am

willo wrote:On the Letterkenny front, they had on their site a couple of weeks ago, that the field was closed until further notice but this seems to have gone

On the Abbeyshrule front, havent been down, but here the Inny has receded and the Tomahawk doesn t require a skiff to get to it!!!
Hi Brian,
Letterkenny was closed for 4 weeks pending getting a more substancial insurance policy in place..... Now all sorted, a big plug for Tommy Staunton and Staunton insurance services in Westport in Mayo for getting all in place for us.

Jon

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Now what we need is the new Beriyev Be-200.....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9e7_1256496023

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Scraggane

Lucky you. Though I'd say you will be keeping the Irish accent a bit muted after todays Rugby success over SA.

Coonagh is safe and fully operational notwitstanding there is a lot of water on the airfield near the runways. There is new flood barrier in place which is protecting the Coonagh basin. The floodbarrier is the raised roadways to the new tunnel between Coonagh and Mungret.

I had a chance to get up in the air today and the amount of water east the the headrace into Ardnacrusha from where the river Shannon splits north of O'Briens Bridge is near biblical. It is like one massive lake down through Castleconnell and south to the Plassey River around the University, through Corbally and on around the city to link up with the tailrace at Parteen

With Marks assistance I will try and post a few photos overnight or tomorrow. I need to download them from the camera first.
Shrtfld

scraggane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by scraggane » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:24 pm

hi Shrtfld

it was very sweet watching the game in a packed Afrikaaners pub. I left shortly after the final whistle, as the fights were starting. :D

Good to know that Coonagh is still relatively dry. Hope the committee have thought about moving aircraft, if possible, because the place is very vulnerable if the water upriver of Ardnacrusha is released (there is a collosal amount of water in the Shannon basin right now that wants to get down to sea level!). I appreciate there is a new flood barrier in the form of the new road, but I would not count on that preventing flooding at the airfield.

Would be good to see those pics. All the best.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Couple of shots from 28 Nov 09

Post by hum » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:26 pm

This one shows the flooding just north of Limerick.

Image :shock:

Here is a shot of the work being done on the North entrance to the new tunnel under the Shannon river, Coonagh in the background. I'd say there is no immediate fear of the aircraft as a lot of work has been done in the past few years.

lazza
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by lazza » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Newcastle is still operational, on Saturday one of the lads kindly flew me down to waterford to pick up the grumman after an annual and when I got back there was a queue for departure, three in the circut and two others returning from various flood monitoring sorties from around the country.

In all fairness there were two small puddles on one of the taxiways but John even has a hot water on a variable pressure washer outside the hanger to clean out the spats :lol:

and just in case John reads this and thinks I'm complaining I will also point out in newcastles defence that there were also two puddles on the taxiways in Waterford!

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Some photos from shrtfld from the Limerick area.....quite shocking

Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi there,
For all the aviation assets in the hands of the State, are they being used to deliver food or animal feed or move rescue personnel? Is aviation contributing?
regards
Stovepipe