Runway 13/31 EINN

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Runway 13/31 EINN

Post by N714GZ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:03 pm

According to Jeppy charts RW13/31 at Shannon is available for take off and landing at pilot's discreation for aircraft not exceeding 25t AUW. Daytime only with vis exceeding 2000m. PAPI's on the 31 end. 1720x45m .

Has anyone here ever used it?! Have never seen or heard of it in use., although have jumpseated for worx ex SNN on a couple of occasions and did notice that aircraft require clearance to cross the runway. I was under the impression that it had been withdrawn a number of years ago?? Can anyone explain?!

Thanks in advance!

jollyrog
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jollyrog » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:37 pm

AIP entry for Shannon, updated 27th August 2009 still shows/details the runway, with the following notes:
RWY 13/31 is partly covered with asphalt and bitumen macadam overlays. This runway is not in conformity with ICAO recommendations regarding longitudinal slope changes and smoothness of surface. RWY 13/31 is currently unavailable for landings and take-offs pending pavement repair and resurfacing.
RWY 13/31 not usable (operationally prohibited) at night and by day, when visibility is less than 2000M.

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks for that.

I wonder for how long it is not available and awaiting remedial work?!

flymo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Get Real

Post by flymo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:51 am

Who wants to fly into EINN between charges and all the other hassle unless commercial what is point of this post???? Read the NOTAMS like every other pilot and plan accordingly.
Keep Your Tail in Trail

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:06 am

Thank you for your most helpful contribution Flymo.

Your point regarding the commercial aspect is a valid one-in fact I am a commercial pilot, although 13/31 is a bit on the short side for what I'm flying.

As such, thankfully "charges and all the other hassle" are none of my concern.

My post was more along the lines of what is the point in maintaining a de facto withdrawn runway on airport charts? Shannon is the only major airport in Ireland into which I have not operated this year and my question arose while reviewing the airport plates as nothing more than a passing query. Operationally it wouldnt suit me anyway.

Thank you for your revelation regarding the NOTAM thingys. I dont know how I survived so long without them. Amazing stuff.

If you have time before writing your next helpful and witty post maybe you could manage a peek at them yourself?

They make no mention of RWY 13/31's status.

Scenario: Overseas pilot with access to only Jeppy charts and NOTAM's with a crosswind limited aircraft. No need to go on...

I do however wish you all the best in your ongoing boycott of high fees airports. Blue Skies.

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:20 am

Is Shannon not still one of the great GA assests in Ireland?? Without it where else would us weekend warriors get to fly into a large international airport?

The last time I flew into Shannon it was a great buzz especially watching American Airlines climb out as we prpared for final and landing long meant a check in the fuel status half way down such a long runway. We couldn't have been made more welcome if we were Arab sheiks there to buy the place with car pick up and drop off from GA parking and other little courtesies. And to Flymo, the cos of all this including a couple of hours parking? €13!! Excellent!

I for one can't wait to go back.
Another broken undercarriage........

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:08 pm

There is very little hassle in Shannon. Last time I flew in there, we were alone except for one of N714GZ's employer's aircraft. Our pax were offloaded and picked up by a courtesy car driven by a smiling lady. Off we taxied to the runway and away we flew for the princely sum of €8. Hassle? What hassle?

As for the NOTAMs admit it N714GZ, you never looked at them. :lol: I never saw you check them when you flew with us. We tightened up a lot when you left :wink:

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:11 pm

A lot of stuff happened by the time you decided to show up at the airfield Vanman!! Although it is hard to get out of bed in the mornings at your age!! :lol:

I'd say a lot has changed alright..no more just turning up and sitting in the plane for you!! You even have to file your own flight plans!!

Give me a buzz when your up in your hometown next..

Bearcat
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bearcat » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:23 pm

has any one used it?

yes.....on the FK , day light only years ago you could do a circle to land off 24 when the wx out of limits re x winds for 24....from memory it was a yumpy bumpy concrete paving slab job but it got you out of jail.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:36 pm

Fado Fado in a previous life (in the seventies and early eighties.)

It was the runway of choice for light aircraft - land long on 14 (as it was back then) and you had a short taxi to light aircraft park. Again at that time we used to fly from Coonagh to Shannon for fuel and land straight in on the old 32. No flight plans and minimum of delays. Call airborne Coonagh and the AVGAS bowser was waiting in the light aircraft park after you landed.

We had an Aer Rianta landing card for each aircraft which if I remember cost about 75 pounds per annum for unlimited landings in Dubllin, Cork and of course Shannon.

Those were the days................!
Shrtfld

Little Boy Lost
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Little Boy Lost » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Ah... those were the days. Get a drop of fuel and then wander over to the duty office for a chat about the hurling, have a cup of tea in the terminal flash
the licence to get back onto the ramp and then wander across to the light aircraft park making sure to have a good look in whatever airliner or other
interesting aeroplane was parked around, maybe have a chat with an American ferry pilot and if you had the time even around the SRS hangar, again on the strength of your PPL.
And they tell us now we've never had it so good.

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:47 am

N714GZ wrote:A lot of stuff happened by the time you decided to show up at the airfield Vanman!! Although it is hard to get out of bed in the mornings at your age!! :lol:
I'd say a lot has changed alright..no more just turning up and sitting in the plane for you!! You even have to file your own flight plans!!
Give me a buzz when your up in your hometown next..
Hah, you couldn't cope with the pressures of the job and moved onto cosy airliners. As for flight plans, well it's done online now by Ops (me!). I can get up early, check out when this was posted. I had lie in this morning.

Sorry everyone else :P

Hayden Lawford
Unverified User
Unverified User

EINN 31/13

Post by Hayden Lawford » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Yes, happy days - I first landed on the old RWY 32 in 1961 in a non-radio Auster - "Orbit over the south bank and wait for a green" - from the old Tower!
31 was very handy if you were operating from SRS or Westair as it saved miles of taxiing. If you needed the terminal with an Islander you landed short and turned off on the old centre strip for the ramp and Stand 32 (now part of the Ryanair park), close by the Duty Office entrance, most of the Airport Police knew us and just waved you past, occasionally you might have to show your Licence. It also worked well in the days of intense training ops on 24/06 as it kept you out of their hair.
I have also used the old 23/05, now a remote parking area, for circuits and bumps with a student who didn't feel happy with short runways.