NPPL Question

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Bluebeard
Verified User
Verified User

NPPL Question

Post by Bluebeard »

Has anyone experience of whether a visitor from the UK may fly in Ireland on an NPPL? Is the answer so obviously "no", that this is a silly question?

(i) It seems that a microlight may be flown in Ireland on an NPPL(M) if this is validated by the IAA and with a Class 2 medical and fee paid. However this may not be practical for a short term visitor.

(ii) I would presume that a Class A aeroplane may not be flown at all in Ireland on an NPPL, as it is not ICAO compliant, irrespective of the medical. Are there any angles on this or is it total black-and-white? I suppose the wings would fall off at the Border.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot »

As far as the UK CAA is concerned, they extend no privlidges beyond UK airspace to a UK NPPL. So it would be a matter for the IAA (Who aren't known for giving additional privlidges over and above ICAO ones).

I have heard reports of UK NPPL holders writing to the DGAC in France (CAA/IAA equilivant in France) and getting written permission from them to fly in French airspace, so might be worth a try writing to the IAA asking for permission.

P

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW »

You'll also need a valid RT Cert, IAA or CAA

Bluebeard
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bluebeard »

I have heard reports of UK NPPL holders writing to the DGAC in France (CAA/IAA equilivant in France) and getting written permission from them to fly in French airspace
Yes I know of at least one UK NPPL holder who got permission from the DGAC to visit France. My question was in essence whether the IAA would contemplate such a possiblity.

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

I live in Donegal and fly on the UK NPPL(M).
I have it validated by the IAA.
Need;
Class 2 medical
RT Licence
50 Hours pilot in command
€80.00 per year validation fee

France has an agreement with the UK regarding use of the UK NPPL(M) also, it can be used in France without an issue.

The UK NPPL(A) cannot be used or validated here, period.

Jon

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW »

So basically the licence is valid worldwide...... Except in Ireland.

My microlight license (Before it expired) Was the UK NPPL(m).

I did my test in 25hrs 50 mins I think it was.
Then logged the rest @ EIAB

The fee was €180, but reduced to a more reasonable €80.

The IAA do deal with the applications speedily IF you have your house perfectly in order.