Another unhappy GA customer at Galway Airport

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

Got my degree in NUI Galway over 4 years and tend to disagree with you there Scraganne.

And as for the Nav charges, well not paying them seems like an option, but certainly not if you plan on transiting regularly. If you have cash outstanding they might tell you to feck off!

How much are they? Worth burning the extra few litres of fuel getting up to FL060 or flying to bloody Tuam or somewhere to avoid?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

scraggane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by scraggane »

Nanolight wrote:Got my degree in NUI Galway over 4 years and tend to disagree with you there Scraganne.
No worries. It's just an opinion formed in exasperation over years of dealings with the place!

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango »

Nanolight wrote: How much are they? Worth burning the extra few litres of fuel getting up to FL060 or flying to bloody Tuam or somewhere to avoid?
€6 for aircraft not landing at Galway. Maybe not a whole lot in the grander scheme of things, but on pure principle alone it would be worth the extra fuel just to not give them the satisfaction! :twisted:

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman »

Galway Airport seems to be afflicted by the malaise that effects the city of Galway generally. I know this is an aviation forum, so i won't get into too much detail, but generally the city and the institutions within it tend to greet the visitor with very high prices, poor service, and an amateur attitude to everything. This is part of the charm about the place, or so i've been told countless times, and the visitor is meant to thank them for having to put up with the ways things are done there. I don't know of any other city that has such an undeserved high opinion of itself. I'd rather anywhere else on this island.
Actually living here as I do, I'm afraid I completely agree. Galway airport's attitude is typical of the city in general. You only have to try and drive across the town on a typical day to see that. It has a high opinion of itself not always backed up by reality. The airport is a sympton of that.

But that's off topic really even though it explains something about Galway airport.