ronnie3585
Unverified User
Unverified User

Another unhappy GA customer at Galway Airport

Post by ronnie3585 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Not me, this guy.

See page 11 of the City Tribune
http://edition.pagesuite-professional.c ... fe32&skip=

Some highlights are the guy was charged a €25 landing fee, €224 for three and a half days parking for a two seater weighing 655kgs and another €30 'security fee' for his passenger. So that's close to 300 notes for very little service and Mr. Walsh claims in the article that he wants to promote Galway as a GA friendly airport - get real FFS!
Ow! My boating arm...

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:02 am

One would have to wonder what kind of aviation management course Mr Walsh has to his credit. Has he ventured beyond the shores of Ireland. Pile him off to Oshkosh for a week....lol. I remember reading a story in a professional buisness aviation mag here about a Global Express that arrived in Dublin....among other things like fuel requirements the oxygen tanks needed to be topped off, The pilot was surprised when he was told that there was no mechanic on hand to take out the tanks so they could be filled.....go figure..........as for the lads in the tower....tea break, I ask ya....lol :roll:

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:45 pm

The tea break thing has nothing to do with aviation law. It's the fact that they wont provide cover for the required rest periods.

The price of parking is crazy. Plus Mr Walsh expects you to call beforehand and bargain with them on prices?? Strange place EICM.

flyer_150
Verified User
Verified User

Post by flyer_150 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Hmm, something not right here, I was in Galway just 1 month ago, 3 of us, similar type aircraft. Cost us €20-€25 in TOTAL, including landing fee, 1 overnight stay, 2 passengers through security (didn't take any fuel).

Heard locally all about how the old stories of airspace transit charges are a thing of the past, airport looking to get GA back with a friendly smile and encourage aircraft to stay, under new management etc so I don't know where this cropped up out of...

(Meant to post my positive findings before now)
flyer_150

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Was that Transit Charge issue actually resolved or did it just fizzle out?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:06 pm

Transit fee is still there! They stung me 2 weeks ago and I was at FL060 trying to dodge the place. Their zone is up to 5000 feet. I flew higher the week after and they didn't get me!

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:18 am

Does the CTR revert to Class G, like the Shannon CTA sections, outside of the hours of operation of ATC service at EICM as published. Looking at the Notams the hours of operation seem to indicate some windows of oppurtunity where one might transit, or does this not apply to the CTR

EICM - GALWAY
+ GALWAY CTR HOURS OF OPS/SERVICE
MON 0515-0700,0810-1620,1645-1900,2030-2220
TUE 0515-0700,0810-1655,1725-1845,2100-2220
WED 0515-0700,0810-1620,1645-1845,2100-2220
THUR 0515-0700,0810-1655,1725-1845,2030-2220
FRI 0515-0700,0810-1655,1725-1900,2030-2220
SAT 0635-0800,1010-1530,1715-1845,2000-2100
SUN 0735-0900,1015-1400,1440-1900,2100-2220

Dave
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Another unhappy GA customer at Galway Airport

Post by Dave » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:49 pm

ronnie3585 wrote: €224 for three and a half days parking for a two seater weighing 655kgs
I don't understand how he could park his plane for 3.5 days and not know beforehand how much it was going to cost. That's like parking your car at Dublin airport in the short term lot then coming back after 3 days and being surprised it costs 120 euros.

Pilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pilot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Dave wrote:
ronnie3585 wrote: €224 for three and a half days parking for a two seater weighing 655kgs
I don't understand how he could park his plane for 3.5 days and not know beforehand how much it was going to cost. That's like parking your car at Dublin airport in the short term lot then coming back after 3 days and being surprised it costs 120 euros.
Agreed.

Though, I also don't understand how it could cost €224 for four days parking. Do they really charge €56 for a days parking?

Did he park somewhere other than where light aircraft are supposed to park?

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Pilot wrote:I also don't understand how it could cost €224 for four days parking. Do they really charge €56 for a days parking?
They charge 84e per day to park an aircraft up to 4.9 tonnes as far as I see.
http://www.galwayairport.com/files/GALW ... 20Rev5.pdf

That nav charge looks to be alive and well.

The management say they are trying to attract GA.. hahahahahahaha

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:41 pm

WTF are they playing at??!! :roll: The same trip to Dublin, Cork, Shannon, etc. would cost what....10-15 quid?

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Actually, Whiskey Tango, Dublin is seriously expensive to visit. But then they really don't want GA traffic. I think Shannon charge about €8. Galway airport is rather unique in many ways. Rip off Ireland for sure.

If they really do have to charge as much as that then perhaps the manager ought to look at his costs. The navigation charge is ridiculous, perhaps it was aimed at all the helicopter traffic that used to come and go. I don't think they got much money out of the races this year. Then there's the 'teabreak' shutdowns. That's very strange indeed. Staff shortage? They don't always stick to the timetable either. Last year a student pilot on a cross country was forced to divert for fuel because Galway closed early. Shannon ATC were kept very busy for a while coordinating the diversion. It was a mess.

If Joe Walsh is serious about encouraging GA traffic then the charges must be reduced. Then got away with it during the boom because Galway was a popular destination for developers in the helicopters. Not any more. The other thing they have in their favour is their monopoly position in relation to Galway area. If someone built a strip somewhere like Craughwell just outside the zone. The Airport would get no visitors at all. Anybody interested?

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by inverted » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Can someone please explain to me the principal of Nav charges in Galway......they have no radar........what are they charging you for ? and furthermore has anyone EVER paid a nav charge to Galway......I know where mine would be going if I got one !

captain slow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by captain slow » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:28 pm

from airoshane
Transit fee is still there! They stung me 2 weeks ago and I was at FL060 trying to dodge the place. Their zone is up to 5000 feet. I flew higher the week after and they didn't get me

Very interesting that Shane. If you were at the trans flight level (whatever it was that day?) then you should not have been charged even if you did speak to them. Their airspace is up to 5,000ft only in the zone and from 2,500ft to Fl75 in the stubs BUT only when they are working inbound or outbound traffic. I have done the same and co-ordinated FL65(the trans level on that day) With Shannon and flew above galways zone and never spoke to them. I intentionally did this to avoid talking to them.

On another day i was north of their zone and i spotted some traffic so free-called them to see if they had anything operating my way which they did-they never charged me but then again i was outside their zone.

buggy b
Does the CTR revert to Class G, like the Shannon CTA sections, outside of the hours of operation of ATC service at EICM as published
Yes the zone does revert to class G when they are gone home on tea break or notamed closed. Feel free to operate and do loops and not talk to anyone tho i would still call to see if the flying club are up. If i did call during a period of closure i would note the time of any calls in case of an invoice later tho!

The Nav charge has no basis at all and if anything is illegal and galway airport dont own the airpsace they only borrow it from the IAA. The IAA dont charge for vfr in class C .

As for the charges bloody stupid is all i can say.[/u]

EDIT sorry for all the underlining cant be arsed changing it :oops:

scraggane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by scraggane » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:58 am

vanman wrote:Actually, Whiskey Tango, Dublin is seriously expensive to visit. But then they really don't want GA traffic. I think Shannon charge about €8. Galway airport is rather unique in many ways. Rip off Ireland for sure.

If they really do have to charge as much as that then perhaps the manager ought to look at his costs. The navigation charge is ridiculous, perhaps it was aimed at all the helicopter traffic that used to come and go. I don't think they got much money out of the races this year. Then there's the 'teabreak' shutdowns. That's very strange indeed. Staff shortage? They don't always stick to the timetable either. Last year a student pilot on a cross country was forced to divert for fuel because Galway closed early. Shannon ATC were kept very busy for a while coordinating the diversion. It was a mess.

If Joe Walsh is serious about encouraging GA traffic then the charges must be reduced. Then got away with it during the boom because Galway was a popular destination for developers in the helicopters. Not any more. The other thing they have in their favour is their monopoly position in relation to Galway area. If someone built a strip somewhere like Craughwell just outside the zone. The Airport would get no visitors at all. Anybody interested?
Galway Airport seems to be afflicted by the malaise that effects the city of Galway generally. I know this is an aviation forum, so i won't get into too much detail, but generally the city and the institutions within it tend to greet the visitor with very high prices, poor service, and an amateur attitude to everything. This is part of the charm about the place, or so i've been told countless times, and the visitor is meant to thank them for having to put up with the ways things are done there. I don't know of any other city that has such an undeserved high opinion of itself. I'd rather anywhere else on this island.