This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

spongebob squarepants
Unverified User
Unverified User

Advice on PDAs+GPS+VFR charts

Post by spongebob squarepants »

Hi all,
Firstly my apologies-i am a techno-phobe please bear with me!

I am looking into buying a PDA with GPS and i would like to have VFR charts for ireland on it thus giving me a moving map facility.

I have heard that HP offer the "iPAQ with Navman GPS receiver ". And im aware this can be used in the UK with moving map software but what about ireland?

Thanks ,
SB

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

YES it can be used in Ireland

spongebob squarepants
Unverified User
Unverified User

Thaks for your reply flyer1.
But is the appropriate software available? transair has UK CAA charts digitised for iPAQ use. but can you get Ireland North or South VFR charts?

Cheers

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Well i know a guy who scan's the map's onto his PC. THen he Sned's the Data to the IPAQ and the GPS pick's your location. Also you need software called Aussie Explorer ( it's free ) if you pm me i can give you contact details for him

Flyer1,

Peter_Kelleher
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Peter_Kelleher »

PocketFMS is another alternative. This is free but a donation of ?50 will get you more detailed maps. As well as providing a moving map solution, it also provides a lot of other features normally associated with very high end GPS units - live weather updates, warnings on air space incursions etc. It does have some limited ability to facilitate scanned maps. However, if scanning is what you want to do, OziExplorer is probably the better option. PocketFMS is very much a work in progress but they seem to be improving it all the time. Personally, I find the user interface a bit quirky at times but check it out at www.pocketfms.com.

BTW, Ozi Explorer is not free. Although trial versions are available they have some feature and time limitations. It is, however, reasonably priced and works well.

Regards

Peter.

Regards

Peter.

Conchubhair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Conchubhair »

I use a OziExplorer a CF GPS card and a Dell Amix X5 in conjuction with a Yoke mount. Works very well with Scanned Charts. Charts can be scanned at Hackett Reprographics on Baggot Street. NB this is a backup only to my paper charts, but makes flying that much more enjoyable. One of the other very useful things about OziExplorer is that if there is a more detailed chart available for a specific area (e.g. VFR Approach chart for Weston) OziExplorer will automatically make that one active. Especially useful for accurate joins.

Conor

spongebob squarepants
Unverified User
Unverified User

cheers guys you have been very helpfull.
sb