VFR On Top??
  • captain slow
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

VFR On Top??

by captain slow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Is it possible to fly VFR on top ireland and uk with just a bog standard PPL?

By VFR on top i mean being above a solid undercast or bkn cloud but in the 'clear' above that? Assume for argument that you were able to climb up thru sct cloud at the point of departure and conveniently your destination point is CAVOK just the enroute section is VFR on top i.e you cant see the ground at all.

I always thought one had to remain in sight of the surface even if it was just a fleeting glimpse every now and again to stay legal on a vfr ppl but i might be wrong.

Thanks in advance
  • dara
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by dara » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:21 pm

From what i remember you have to be able to see a certain percentage of the ground below, if you are on top you can´t be vfr!
    God bless IFR! :D
    If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?
  • Pilot
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Pilot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 pm

It is pefectly legal to fly on top of an overcast on an IAA issued JAR PPL, in Ireland or the UK (the two that you've asked about). You must of course comply with the VFR cloud sepearation and visibility rules appropriate to the class of airspace that you are operating in.

You must of course be able to comply with these rules while getting up there, and when getting back down again.

Of course whether this is sensible, and when it is sensible and when it is not is a whole other area of discussion. Having no instrument experience or a poorly equipped aircraft, and no way to get back down would not be a nice experience!

The situation for a UK CAA issued PPL is somewhat different. The CAA issue a restriction on a UK PPL which requires the holder to be in sight of the surface at all times. If the UK holder gets a IR or a IMC rating, then this restriction is removed from their licence.

P
  • Biggles
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Biggles » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:25 pm

The visual and clound clearance conditions required for VFR flight can be found under section ENR 1.2 at the following address : http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Frame1.htm
  • captain slow
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by captain slow » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks for that..........see i always thought that in IAA land yuo always had to remain in sight of the surface unless operating under a special VFR clearance which just required clear of cloud and in sight of surface. But thanks to biggles link to the IAA it looks like that the only requirement is in Class G at and below 3000ft amsl and all other times VFr on top is fine.

Granted Pilots point on the wisdom of doing this is an entirely different story plus the whole getting up there and back down again. Purely a hypothetical question :lol:

thanks