Alcock & Brown 90th Anniversary

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Hayden Lawford
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Hayden Lawford »

I believe the plan is to fly EICM - Duxford on Monday, subject W/X of course. The Vimy replica did a series of flypasts at Clifden with excellent photo opportunities and circled the actual landing site at Derrygimbla in salute to Alcock & Brown.
It will definitely be grounded in the autumn and moved to Brooklands where it will be put on a care and maintenance programme. She will be brought out for engine runs and taxiiing at special events. Although it is a replica it has become something of a treasure having replicated the 3 long distance flights flown by Vimy's during 1919, London-Australia, London-The Cape and of course the trans Atlantic flight in 2005.
I suppose that if maintained to the required standards it might be possible to fly it again for the Centenary of the Alcock and Brown flight in 2019, but this is obviously subject to FAA/CAA/IAA approval and could be a problem especially with the ever increasing red tape involved with the operation of historic aircraft.
A big thank you is due to the Vimy Team and Brooklands Museum for making it possible for a Vimy to be seen over Clifden again, as far as I know Connemara is one of the only Air Shows to host the Vimy before it's retirement.

cubpilot
Verified User
Verified User

Post by cubpilot »

not sure i would agree that the actual spot should be made accessable. i think the fact that the place is just a bog with a rough old track is far more appealing than for the site to be turned into a heritage centre with an interpretation display etc etc that the council would insist on doing to justify a few million being spent.

In the early days of heathrow their statue was 'airside' near the terminal buildings and as a child i well remember how we would taxi out past it, always with a comment by the crew. the last time i saw it it was hidden away by the old control tower, bet it is even more neglected these days.

georgeconna
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by georgeconna »

I Would Agree with Cubpilot, I think the site needs to be cleaned up a bit especially the sheep fleeces lying about and tatty orange plastic netting but overall the derelict air to it fuels the imagination and discussion without have a undoubtedly badly designed building sticking out of the landscape like a sore thumb. Go to the Museum in the Station house for more info or read a book about it.

On Sunday there was to be a tour of the Marconi site @ 10am. We made the effort along with a number of other people to get to the site on time. Pity the Guide did not bother their arse coming....

Great show though the light stuff aint my cuppa but it was enjoyable watching the acts, Overall very relaxing except for the walk from the town to the actual show centre. It was a good Pratice for IAT!!

cheers

George

robfahy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robfahy »

Here are two photos I took of the Vickers just before displaying at Clifden. I was surprised to see it taxiing out in such rotten weather.

I felt the pain of this guys car go wallop when he went to drive it off the footpath. :oops:

Rob.

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta »

Great pics,guys...thanks for posting. 8)

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

I wonder if that chopper got some air to air...... :)

robfahy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robfahy »

I saw Executive Helicopters flying alongside the Vickers on Friday, so I'd say they got some fantastic air-to-air over Galway city.

Rob.

Flange Bracket
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Flange Bracket »

I saw the Vimy on Monday morning south of Tullamore heading south east at about 1000 feet in formation with two other aircraft, a biplane and what looked like a cub or champ. It was a wonderful sight on a perfect morning, blue skies with little fluffy clouds.

Anyone any ideas what the other aircraft were? I wasn't close enough to get a good look.

Limetree
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Limetree »

The formation was Vickers Vimy NX71MY, Piper Cub EI-BIO and Currie Wot G-CWOT.
Last edited by Limetree on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

robfahy wrote:I saw Executive Helicopters flying alongside the Vickers on Friday, so I'd say they got some fantastic air-to-air over Galway city.

Rob.

I wonder if they will turn up on here.......??