SAR Demo-Heads Up

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Warthog
Unverified User
Unverified User

SAR Demo-Heads Up

Post by Warthog »

Hi all, the Irish Coast Guard will hold a Search And Rescue Demo in Salthill along the Promenade at 6pm Friday May 29th. This will involve the Lifeboat and the S61N Helicopter from Shannon as far as i know.

Kind Regards,

Dave.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Thanks for that, might actually be down West that weekend. Is that part of the Volvo Race. ..... and aren't the Arrows meant to be displaying too

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

hum
Verified User
Verified User

And a typhoon

Post by hum »

fast oiseau
Verified User
Verified User

Liferaft

Post by fast oiseau »

Hi Hum,
you might be able to answer this or direct me to a source.
Assuming a successful ditching and having been able to get into a liferaft,when the helicopter arrives,is it expected by the winchman that the person(s) in the raft will go back into the water to assist in the winch.My rationale being that the downdraft will push the raft away from the winchman.I have done ditching drill several times in the past but I cannot remember any specific guidance about that issue.When I last spoke with Morts about his experience I recall he was blown sideways in the raft by the first chopper on the scene but I cannot recall what he did when the friendlies arrived.
Cheers
f/o
PS.great videos!
Last edited by fast oiseau on Mon May 18, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hum
Verified User
Verified User

When the chopper arrives

Post by hum »

I would say that if you are in your dinghy stay put.... OK, just B4 the winchman gets to you pull down the cover if there is one, but stay out of the water if at all possible.

I believe the preferred lift method for 'able-bodied' survivors is a strop; you put it over your head, keep your arms at your side and do as you're told...

Lots of good info on ditching and sea survival here:

http://www.equipped.org/avsrvtoc.htm

Try getting in touch with the SAR people at Shannon or Sligo - I'm sure they would be happy to advise on best practice in the event of a lift...

If you have any trouble PM me and I can give you a number of a fellow RV builder who has been an SAR pilot for around 35 years...

If I remember correctly Morts was trying to avoid getting picked up by the first Helo that came along after he was shot down - don't think he would have understood the winchman's instructions in Spanish :lol:
Last edited by hum on Mon May 18, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fast oiseau
Verified User
Verified User

Post by fast oiseau »

Thanks Hum,
plenty to look at there.Will do so over the next while.
Oiseau

SirSokky
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by SirSokky »

fast oiseau

Stay in the raft, as HUM said, lower canopy (if fitted) once helicopter overhead, if there is lots of wind and/or the helicopter maintains enough height the helicopters downdraught will be astern of the helicopter and not under the winching door. In Ireland and UK if it is not possible to lower the winchman direct to the raft in the event it is being blown away you will be passed a hi-line (or heaving in line) which is a long rope with a weighted bag at the end. This allows the helicopter to move away from the overhead and the survivor (if able) to pull the winchman towards the raft. Once on board your raft the winchman will decide and arrange the most suitable recovery method (as HUM also said [able bodied = strop lift].

See if you can get to the SAR demo in Galway on the 29th and you will see exactly this procedure......if conditions allow!! If not give any of the SAR bases (EIDW,EISG, EINN or EIWF) a call and arrange to visit and the crew will be only too delighted to explain and demonstrate the procedure.

Hope this helps,

SirSokky.

P.S. We all like to stay dry if at all possible!! :D

fast oiseau
Verified User
Verified User

Post by fast oiseau »

Thanks SirSokky,
that makes sense.The emphasis has always been on how to fly the aircraft into a ditching,then egress,then how to get into the raft.I do not recall any briefing on the HOW to assist a rescue.Thanks for the info.
oiseau