Should trolls be on this site setting up topics

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Should trolls be on this site and waste our time with rubbish

Yes let them stay, they're funny.
29%
No get rid of them, I'm sick of hearing their rubbish
71%
I don't know, I haven't read the topics in question.
No votes

Total votes: 14

cessna 210
Unverified User
Unverified User

Should trolls be on this site setting up topics

Post by cessna 210 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:43 pm

I have set up a poll to see how people feel about trolls on this site and them setting up rubbish topics i.e. contrails vs Chemtrails etc

Anyone not sure what a troll is read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Last edited by cessna 210 on Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aircraft activities update: Knock airport 22/2/09= http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... 5&start=30. And: Dublin airport 22/2/09= http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... 7516#27516

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Sat May 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Add another option... " Just ignore them and they'll go away". ;)

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Sat May 16, 2009 2:17 pm

And this thread isn't a waste of time?

As for the contrails, it seems like a couple of guys who didn't know much about weather. Instead of explaining the phenomenon without technical jargon and maybe having an interesting discussion on geoengineering and global warming (which is arguably relevant in this forum), the thread descended into immature rubbish due to the level of maturity of some posters here.

There were however, some intelligent posts in the thread; Happily, there are experienced and sensible posters on this forum too.

cessna 210
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cessna 210 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Thats a very good comment Kilo delta thanks, But I can't change the poll now. Ceatach my point is that if members want to talk about topics like= HOW CONTRAILS FORM or AIRCRAFT EMISSIONS AND GLOBAL WARMING Thats fine by me.

What i call rubbish is the contrails vs chemtrails conspiracy type topics, if crap like this is let stay on the site the next thing we'll have is people posting that they seen a UFO's landing in weston.
And to add to that I also so don't like new members coming on to this site calling members names etc..
Aircraft activities update: Knock airport 22/2/09= http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... 5&start=30. And: Dublin airport 22/2/09= http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... 7516#27516

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Sat May 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sun May 17, 2009 1:09 am

Well firstly I don't believe that these people are trolls in the strictest sense. Though their contributions may be tedius, their sole intent is not to annoy, which is the very purpose of your internet troll. They are merely misguided.

I don't agree that anyone should be prevented from posting ANY aviation related topics here as this measure would stifle creativity and kill interesting posts. That was the fastest thread on the forum I'd say in a long time.

Making the forum private adds an element of cliqueness which I think it is better off without. From microlights to passenger jets, model planes to heli's, spotters, enthusiasts and beginners to instructors, all are welcome here and I think that is the way it should be.

Approving potential forum applicants would be a time consuming task for Mark and it is really not necessary as we don't get anything like the kind of nasties and weirdos here as they do on (for example) boards.ie or similar. It is an authoritarian measure which, in my opinion, is contrary to the very essence of the internet.. freedom of speech, sharing ideas, unregulated glory!

[/gets off high horse]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Sun May 17, 2009 11:34 am

!
Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Sun May 17, 2009 11:43 am

VERY Well said mr crow.

I remember the topic in question that has raised this poll.....

I didn't get involved in that topic because it was obvious to me after 1 page of comments that sanity was not the order of the day.... :roll:

I also like the usual friendly and productive approach to fouromites query's from the fellow members here.....

Have a look at some youtube videos..... there you'll see some nutters on some vids there...... It'd be a shame if that kinda thing happened here