Aerosol Spraying over Dublin

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

captain slow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by captain slow »

Btw, if it is so common to have four large X's in the sky side by side at the same alt., why didn't someone say that at the outset?

Several hours ago it was so "impausible"........now it's "routine"

For FFS the original insinuation was that 1 aircraft was doing large X formations in the sky...thats implausible. Multiple aircraft crossing the same waypoint with 1000ft( that one thousand feet and looks like nothing from the ground) or passing at the same altitude behind each other thus creating the X you saw is routine. Dont have a hissy fit dude.

His explanation involved paths crossing thousands of feet apart and many passenger planes........that's not what we witnessed

1000ft is nothing and to the naked eye its impossible to ascertain the difference in height even when aircraft are relatively low to the ground say at 3000ft or 4000ft which IS what you saw.

Simples..hope you learned something along the way.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Looking at those photos there I see absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Jets criss cross paths at altitude all day every day, probably a couple of thousand feet between the trails too.
Nothing spectactor or out of this world!

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne »

1000ft is nothing and to the naked eye

We weren't basing it on the naked eye. It was very low and we had binoculars

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Alan Dunne wrote:
1000ft is nothing and to the naked eye

We weren't basing it on the naked eye. It was very low and we had binoculars

Well those photos of regular contrails there are not of a low level nature.

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne »

I disagree, you only registered today and come on here calling people nerds and dweebs. As a moderator, I think your idenity is very important espcially as your username is shared with another aviator I know

I didn't come on calling people anything.......re-read my first post......The nerds etc.. comments where merely responses. Look at the chronolgy of the posts. You'll see that the namecalling began with your angelic friends.

If you happen to know an Alan Dunne, I can assure you it's coincidence. I'm not trying to pass myself off as an aviator am I? Infact I said the opposite.

You seem to be keeping an unhealthely tight rope on your forums. Is this only for a certain brotherhood etc.? It's not normally the case that a moderator needs to personally know the people posting on their forums.
Last edited by Alan Dunne on Mon May 11, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne »

Well those photos of regular contrails there are not of a low level nature.

I'm sure they're not. They're also not of the 4 X's over Blackrock which i'm talking about.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Alan Dunne wrote:You seem to be keeping an unhealthely tight rope on your forums. Is this only for a certain brotherhood etc.?

Well it's worked well for the last 5 years, why should I change anything now?

And you never answered my question:

mark wrote:There are many skilled pilots who have given you perfectly logical answers, where are you going with this argument?

Regards,
Mark

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne »

There are many skilled pilots who have given you perfectly logical answers, where are you going with this argument?

If i'm satisfied with your appeal to authority........i'll let you know.

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta »

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/contrail.html This is what you were experiencing,Alan ;).

Thank you Mark for confirming my identity 8) :lol:

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango »

Alan

With the greatest respect, please listen to what you're being told here. Your comments on the height of the contrails, the type of aircraft, etc confirm that you have very limited knowledge of aviation. As many have gone to great lengths to explain to you, the frequency of aircraft you witnessed is quite normal. Most days however, we don't notice it as upper atmospheric conditions are usually not conducive to such prolonged contrails.

Here is a high resolution satellite picture of Ireland around midday yesterday, taken by NASA's "Terra" Low Orbiting satellite.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subs ... .terra.1km

Each pixel represents 1km. You can get 250m resolution by clicking the "250m" link above it, and can view a slightly later picture from a second satellite (Aqua) by clicking the "Aqua" link. It clearly shows the extent of high wispy cloud (Cirrus) that was present on northwestern Europe yeterday, and one can clearly make out the numerous contrails criss-crossing through it. The very reason that the cirrus was there is the same reason that the contrails were so long-lasting. The wide elongated ribbon of cirrus was "Jet Fibres" from a 100knot jet streak that was crossing overhead. See here for a detailed description on this.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/docu/Manual/SatMa ... /index.htm

I have seen really amazing criscross contrail patterns on satellite pictures before, I'll try to dig out some of these pics for you.

Bottom line, the people on here know about planes, for many it's their job/life. I can understand that what you saw seemed unusual - it was indeed unusual - but there is always a simple explanation!

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Alan, I think if you had come on here in a slightly less forceful manner, you would have gotten answers alot quicker. Most of your posts contain sly insults. If you post something like this:

Who would've thought that people who associate with a website forum that typically has headings like: "Runway Drainage at Kilkenny" and "Arthur Wignill, 25th Anniversary Commemoration" would have so many natural comedians?

... Well, nobody will take you seriously.

What you saw was perfectly and completely normal. Dublin has busy airspace which is why you witnessed many aircraft in a short time span. Obviously the contrails stood out a little more than normal because it was the first sunny day in Ireland for months!
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne »

Alpha Laura.

Again, if you follow the chronology of posts, you'll find the insults came from your lot first. This would appear to be an important if not slightly overlooked detail.

The only difference is that mine seem to have hit a nerve.

captain slow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by captain slow »

This is great stuff.........brilliant even.

As for who is who and what monikers they use and since we are speculating the thought crossed my mind a good while ago that ALAN DUNNE AND KEN DOYLE are the one and the same..............................

ken has gone very quiet tho for the last while :shock:

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Must say I thought the same thing captain...
Put the kettle on and watch the rest of "THE X FILES"

Great stuff... 8)

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne »

You'd be wrong. Our friend Mark can discreetely confirm this, if he chooses.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Normally threads on here get between 3 and 10 posts. This has generated significantly more interest in a short time. You should be thanking me :wink: