Aerosol Spraying over Dublin

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne » Mon May 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Bwaahhhaaaaha! That's hilarious Mr Crow!

I'm sure your buddies here in this back-slapping emporium are higly amused at your aviation related jest!

Who would've thought that people who associate with a website forum that typically has headings like: "Runway Drainage at Kilkenny" and "Arthur Wignill, 25th Anniversary Commemoration" would have so many natural comedians?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon May 11, 2009 6:09 pm

I know right? We really are just plane people though... but some say we have a special air about us...

I was flying yesterday and I actually pointed out how odd and hazy the clouds in the North looked to Flyer1, and how precisly they ended and interfaced with the blue. Looked really weird.

And what we were looking at WERE clouds. :!:

I am still on the fence though regarding these chemical trails. A simple picture would solve this. If you mail them to me I'll post them for you. PM me if you like.

In the 1950's a similar thing occured... strange military planes flying low over a village (which was subsequently washed away in floods) and everybody dismissed the people who asked questions as nutjobs.... turns out it was RAF cloud seeding experiments.

Gotta love Weather Eye with Brendan Mc Williams (RIP) in the times up until 2 years ago.. Great reading.
Last edited by Nanolight on Mon May 11, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

kendoyle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kendoyle » Mon May 11, 2009 6:09 pm

Alan Dunne wrote:The X's or criss-crosses in the sky over Dublin yesterday where much clearer and distinct than appears in that video.

His discription of a "checker-board" was apt for yesterday.

Ken did you get any photo's of X's above the sky near Blackrock yesterday morning (which where still there 'til after lunch?......Neither me nor any of the 8 people I was with thought of taking a photograph to confirm our mass hallucination :wink:

Yes actually,I did get one X photographed.Looking back through them it now strikes me as significant that the altitude of these "emmisions" appears to be of a very medium height , not high as you would normally expect or see for the creation of ordinary ice cyrstal trails.Today I witnessed 3 "regular" contrails, all at great height compared to yesterdays occurences.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Mon May 11, 2009 6:11 pm

A picture or a better description of the aircraft might help. If you have no more descriptive information Alan, I think you can take it that no-one here can offer you an explanation of what you saw.

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon May 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Pics pics pics!

Please and thanks.

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne » Mon May 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi Nano-light

I may not be a plane buff, neither am I a meteorologist; but i'm pretty sure that planes typically don't make clouds :wink:

I'm not sure if you're attempting to describe large X shapes as clouds or describing a different element in the sky?

Like I said, i've no pics. I'm not here to convince you, i'm merely relaying an anocdote from yesterday; that on a sunny morning whilst chit-chatting with some friends in their backgarden in Blackrock, Dublin; one of my friends pointed out a large X shape in the sky. We then spotted a plane creating another X........and then another........

Having no knowledge of aviation, we speculated that it may be part of a air show or summat, although we agreed that it would've been the most boring air show ever :wink:

I stupidly thought that someone here may actually have a good explanation.

According to people here, it's not normal, so much so; that they reverted to the architypical, cycnical FHM generation programmed response of - "Ha ha, do you believe in ghosts or little green men?"

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Ahhh that was just Nanolight and myself letting off some hot air. We usually emit bubbles when we fly but we thought long lasting contrails would be a nice change.

I must say, I flew 3hrs 10mins yesterday all around the country, can't say I noticed much except what Nanolight pointed out to me.

kendoyle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kendoyle » Mon May 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Nano light is going to post some of my pics from yesterday.Sadly photos don't give a sense of the scale of a thing but one or 2 may raise a brow.

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne » Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm

I must say, I flew 3hrs 10mins yesterday all around the country, can't say I noticed much except what Nanolight pointed out to me.

I'm guessing the view from the ground is significantly different than the view from the air.

I would like to add; that you don't need to have a pilots licence to be able to tell if something is being produced by a plane or not.

I'm a software engineer at a world leading software company......i'm no dummy :wink: I know what I seen, I just don't know what the hell it was all about?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon May 11, 2009 7:14 pm

OK These are the pictures I got from Ken Doyle.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon May 11, 2009 7:19 pm

OK I added that last one myself...

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:25 pm

From what I see cloud, contrails, cloud, this mysterious " X " you see is probably two aircraft crossing over a VOR or some sort of nav aid.

kendoyle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kendoyle » Mon May 11, 2009 7:26 pm

So...what the photos don't show is the amount of time these trails hung around.All day really and the mass of them eventually formed the milky Haze that didn't start to break till about 11pm.

PS.Just tested my Binoculars on a passenger jet.The work like a dream and if I see one of these chemtrail jets again I'll have a perfect description for you all. The jet left a beautiful,long trail....which disspeared after 30 seconds!

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon May 11, 2009 7:33 pm

ken we really are a helpful bunch, don't get us wrong. If you come back with a pic of a plane, you can bet your shirt that between them the lads here will tell you what kind of a plane it is, where it's based, where it's been for the last month and (possibly)who ownes it etc etc withing a few hours. A registration would be just as good as a picture. EI means it is registered in Ireland and if it has just numbers its an Air Corps plane.

Even if you could describe it... jet or propellor, high wing or low wing, number of engines, colour, markings, T tail or otherwise... would be a big help.

But in fainress you posted pic that look like.... well jet contrails from passenger planes. So that's the reason for the skeptisism :)

Alan Dunne
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Dunne » Mon May 11, 2009 7:34 pm

Flyer1 wrote:From what I see cloud, contrails, cloud, this mysterious " X " you see is probably two aircraft crossing over a VOR or some sort of nav aid.

Now; imagine four in a row and much clearer; as Ken says, it's difficult to get scale and clarity with these. Then imagine what appears to be the same plane forming them.........

As a novice, I would've imagined that flight paths that cross would have to be at least several hundred feet apart. As you may be able to tell some of these formations, they're actually quite low and it was clear from looking at the cross section part through the binoculars that they were at the same level.

Knowing flight paths as you do......what are the chances of 4 separate flight paths criss-crossing at the same level........ side by side, all used within the space of an hour?

I would've thought this was dangerous?
Last edited by Alan Dunne on Mon May 11, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.