Wings Ireland Magazine

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Wings Ireland Magazine

Post by GJOYT » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm

Did anyone receive October's issue with many pages missing and some pages printed again 3 times?

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re:Wings Ireland Magazine

Post by hugoj_air » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:35 am

My copy of Issue 4 is ok. Very impressed with the content,
in particular the "memory lane" section. Slightly dissapointed
that the register review was'nt included. Massive improvement
since the first issue. Keep this up and it will soon rival the UK
Pilot. Keep up the good work and worth every penny or should
I say cent.

Regards
Hugo.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:52 am

Hi Hugo,

That was my fault there was no register review this month. My computer was taken out by a virus and I couldn't submit the register before the publishing date. You'll be happy to know its in the next issue along with photgraphs of additions to the register for last month aswell.

Regards,
Mark

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:56 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Looking forward to the next issue already.

Hugo.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:51 pm

It's sold out :shock: :evil:

A rival with pilot i somehow doubt it but maybe one day

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re:Wings Ireland Magazine

Post by hugoj_air » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:16 pm

Hi Flyer1,

I suppose I'm stating the obvious, but maybe you should take
out a subscription as I did. At the very least it saves you the
bother of looking for a copy every month and missing out. I
agree that it has a long way to go to be as good as Pilot, but
the mag has made a good start in that direction. Give it a
couple of years and we'll see. I case you'er wondering, apart
from buying a copy, I have no connection to the mag what so
ever.

Hugo.

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:31 am

Another great mag, and good coverage of Birr Fly-in.

Comparisons with Pilot / Flyer etc are unfair, as the market is so small here, so great to have something filling the niche.

Looking forward to issue 5

Willo

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Wings

Post by shrtfld » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:30 pm

I agree that Wings is more general in its nature than its nature being pure GA. It is a long time since we had an Irish based mag and all we can do is support Taj in his efforts. It was good to see so many signing up for the Sub offer at Birr. I would like to see more photos per page. A lot of the mag this month is taken up by two photos per page. It is also great to see Malcolm Nason is still out there snapping away.

The Memory Lane photos brought back certain memories for me. The PA28 EI-BDR at Coonagh was flown in there by me from Cork. I had a share in it at the time when I lived in Cork and have fond memories of many hours of flying in it including several across to the UK. Most adventurous trip on it was a solo ferry flight from Biggin Hill to Cork via Cardiff and Dublin (weather divert) following an avionics refit.

I know BDR was involved in a mishap about a year ago during I believe a weather related precautionary landing. Is it flying again and if so where is it based? I'd love the opportunity to fly it (or in it) again. I have about 135 hours on it.

If such an opportunity is available, the current owners / operators might please PM me. Thanks
Shrtfld

Taj
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Taj » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:08 pm

G-JOYT please contact me at tadhg@wingsireland.com. I have sent you two PM's and an e-mail. Would like to get that mag back and return it to my printers. Will send you another copy but I cant tell your name from your e-mail address!
Seems to be the only one that turned out like but if there are any others drop me a line.
Thanks for the kind words guys. November issue is with the printers at the minute-will give you notice of an on shelf date. Subscriptions are the best way to go. Easons have given us maximum shelf space available and the mag now sells 15 times more than any imported aviation publication, but they are still sold out within two weeks. Will more than likely deliver two batches next month.
There is a subscription special on the www.wingsireland.com at the moment(until the 31st) and that works out Eur 10 less than buying at the shops over a year.
Other plans at the moment are the production of a magazine sized "Essential Guide to Flying in Ireland 2005". Since the demise of AOPA, no airfield handbooks have been printed and this is designed to fill that gap-in a much higher quality publication. These will retail at Eur 10 and will be available to order directly through the magazine and the website and on general sale at retail outlets(for a limited period). They will also be on sale throughout the UK(hoping to get Bord Failte involvement).
Will also be moving into the area of pilot supplies(GPS,Headsets,Logbooks,Scanners etc) in the coming weeks-for sale on the website and through the magazine.
The credit card facility will finally be up and running on the site in the next few days.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:28 pm

hi Taj,

You wrote:-
Other plans at the moment are the production of a magazine sized "Essential Guide to Flying in Ireland 2005". Since the demise of AOPA, no airfield handbooks have been printed.

Excellent, I for one will be in the queue for the guide when it appears.
But I think you've got it slightly wrong about the AOPA Irish flight guide.
The one I'm looking at was published in 2002, it's the 21st edition, so I
assume it's still on the go. Although the information contained would
appear to be mostly copied directly from the 20th edition, which was produced in 1998. For instance, the diagram for the airstrip at
Letterkenny shows the a/c parking at the western end of the strip. To
my knowledge this pratice was discontinued at least 8 years ago, when
the hangars were constructed at the eastern end and aircraft parked there.
Your guide, on the other hand, should be bang up to date. Good luck
with the proposed pilot supplies idea. A local supplier is badly needed.

Regards,
Hugo.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Irish Flight Guides

Post by shrtfld » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:57 pm

It would be good to have an up to date guide produced here. However in the meantime I have to recommend "Pooleys Flight Guide - Ireland" published March 2003. Spiral bound.

A superb publication and sets the standard you will have to meet Taj.

It includes Visual Approach Charts for all the airports with Control Zones. It is also worth pointing out that the AOPA guide has for Weston all the grass runways - long since gone whereas Pooleys has a slightly more accurate version. It obviously does not include "25R" and associated taxi-ways. It does however have the arrival and departure routes for Weston. Nice and handy and fits on a standard knee board.

Cost ? Ten sterling. Have seen it in Easons in Dublin some time ago. Available from Transair and the like.
Shrtfld

Peter_Kelleher
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Peter_Kelleher » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:30 am

It's also available in a Ring Binder format which allows you to slip only those pages you need into your knee board.

The detail is good and I find the format is very readable.

It's not official data of course and should only be used as in conjunction with the AIP and any current NOTAMs.