flying to isle of man

This is a forum for discussing General Aviation in Ireland

Moderator: mark

romeo sierra
Unverified User
Unverified User

flying to isle of man

Post by romeo sierra »

and info appreciated, am planning a trip soon.

jr

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 »

This sticky should help you somewhat: http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/ ... php?t=3039

wolfie
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by wolfie »

Flew there from Weston a few months ago. Grand trip, got a bit confusticated when asked "What service would you like?", but the info given in post 2 goes into all of this. ('Twas only a FIS I needed anyway...) I think it was Manx Flyers that took care of the handling, no hastles at all.

Only thing I'd say is don't go on Monday. Manx Flyers are based on the SE side of the field, the main terminal in the N. The place where you can grab a bite to eat beside the Manx Flyers building is closed on a Monday, and the Flyers guys don't have even a coffee pot on the go. (They'd make a few quid extra if they had one...) Getting to the main terminal would need a taxi trip of about 15 - 20 mins, OK if you're there for the day, but not if you're planned to head back in the hour.

Other than that, I don't think there was anything else mad to be aware of. Check the NOTAMs and enjoy the trip :)

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Ditto the above, but it's no longer a FIS, its now a choice between,

Basic Service,
Traffic Service,
Deconfliction service and
Precedural service.

:idea: :shock: :D

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

Isle of Man is an easy trip. Everything you need is at
http://www.manxflyersaeroclub.com/ and mandatory handling is from Manx Flyers. Total cost, excluding fuel, for landing/handling/overnight is about £40... that was last August.
Manx flyers have a car for hire at £20 per day... well worth it.
Great airfield, great facilities and friendly bunch of lads there... well worth the effort.

Info services have changed recently... If VFR there is only 2 available to us... Basic or Traffic service..... overheard Scottish telling a lad off for asking for a "basic information service"... told him there was no such thing !

wolfie
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by wolfie »

Thanks for that info, KiethT, jonkil... Better do some reading before I go next time :)